Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 21:35   #46

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Are We in Over Our Heads, or Just Ignorant About What it Takes to Refit ?

Just have to agree with MarkJ - Are you crazy? Don't buy that boat. From what you alluded to you are not able or willing to put in many years of your own work and time to refit and replace the parts needed to make that boat ready to sail.
- - If you were able and willing to do the work yourself then those price estimates you listed would be too high by a factor of 10 to 100. Many young folk buy such boats and then invest their sweat equity and a few dollars to bring the boat to a ready to sail condition. 99% of the work can be done yourself and you only need to learn how to do the work and how to "scrounge" parts and creatively use different materials to outfit the boat.
- - If you are not into that or cannot or are not willing to do the work, then buy a stock, mainstream boat that is ready to sail. In that size range there are plenty available when you are figuring on spending $20K + $70K = $90K. And actually a cruise ready boat can be had for less that that. See the first half of the Cruising under $500/month thread to ideas.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 22:27   #47

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35 "Rubicon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayW View Post
We've done the spreadsheet of costs, time, labor in hours and realize the unexpected should be expected!
The labor looks overwhelming, the costs doable but intimidating, however we do realize that we could go buy a 70k boat and need to put another 20k into her also. The survey values her at 40k with new engine and railings and other items which means we already losing.
Darn it!
This is the first one we've found after 2 years that we both like and ticks most of the boxes. That part is hard.
Salty, I agree with your major systems theory, it didn't initially need an engine...lol... it wasn't winterized properly and the cylinders are rusted now.
I appreciate hearing everyone's opinions and choices.
5 hours away is hard drive every weekend, I feel for you!
A boat that sounds like it would need $20k poured into it just to get in the water TICKS ALL THE BOXES?! Methinks you need different boxes.

It also doesn't sound like you're planning on doing all of the work yourself. It's going to cost you way, way more than $50k looking at your list.

If you haven't bought it, please, please don't. I don't think boat shoppers should be looking for a boat they love, I think they should be looking for a boat that they will definitely not regret buying. I think your chances of regretting this boat are high. Don't do it.
garymcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 22:37   #48

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Same old question- do you want to work on a boat or do you want to sail? For 70 grand you can get a boat that's ready to go, no question, if you can just massage your must have list a bit here & there.
Old 13-07-2011, 08:58   #49

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Just from the refit we are doing, I'd say you could take that refit base number $40k and add 15% on it on for unforeseens.

If you arent planning on doing alot of work yourself, I'd say find a boat that is better equipped, for the same or a bit more. You have to consider all the costs you are paying for someone else to work on your boat, and all the time it will be on the hard for.

Tate and I spend 85% of our free time doing hard labor on our boat. We are young and childless and only have 2 full time jobs (no rental properties).

I'd take that year or 3 it would be on the hard, and save my pennies while shopping for another boat and maybe pay a little more for one that is in better shape.

I don't know what your cruising budget includes, but when you get a boat that needs alot of work, you can bet you'll be spending money on maintenance more during the trip. If you pay more now on a better equipped boat, you could save in the future.

Another Idea is to find a boat that is sailable right now, and only needs work on items that can be done, over time, while sailing it.

just my 1 cent.

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 10:25   #50

We rescinded our offer. We realized that at this time in our lives it's not the boat for us. I'm real sad, but I'm sure soon, another boat will catch my eye...
Thanks to everyone for your help!
I'm sure there's a lesson in here somewhere for us.
ShayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 10:52   #51

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
I'm real sad, but I'm sure soon, another boat will catch my eye...
Of that, you may be certain. There are loads of them out there and more every day.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 10:56   #52
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Don't feel bad. Just keep the motion and look for another. You'll find one, and give yourself a lot of positive credit. You learned a lot about the process and your own needs here.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 11:34   #53

Only you know the answer to that question... Deep down I think we all know the answer

Something about, "IF YOU HAVE TO ASK!"

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 13:31   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
We rescinded our offer. We realized that at this time in our lives it's not the boat for us. I'm real sad, but I'm sure soon, another boat will catch my eye...
Thanks to everyone for your help!
I'm sure there's a lesson in here somewhere for us.
Do you have a link to the advert?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 16:02   #55

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Sounds like you made the right decision, ShayW... don't dispair... put it behind you and get on with your search for the 'right' boat for yourselves. There are heaps out there... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 20:34   #56

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

We purchased our boat 2 years ago in "better than average condition". I will not recount all the surprises we've found along the way but I will tell you our refit has been much more expensive and time consuming than we anticipated. Its a good thing we ended up needing a bit more time ashore or we'd be seriously miffed.

Good call on moving on. I would suggest looking for a ready to go boat from cruisers who are finishing up their cruise. You'll have stuff to maintain but not a Herculean effort to undertake.

For instance- s/v Kaleo » Kaleo Is For Sale I don't know these people but I have this as an example. Check the sailing blogs you'd be surprised how many ready to go boats are out there and aren't listed on YW.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit