Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2005, 01:08   #1

Are Mexican yards a good deal for restoring my force50

I currently own two boats, a kendall 32 and a harden force50. The force 50 I inherited from my parents. Its an awsome boat,with classic lines, great for a livaboard or family cruising. The problem is that I can't really afford to own two boats, and the 32 footer is just the right size for me. So I am looking to fix up the force 50 the most economical way I can, and then sell it. Are the mexican boat yards a good deal? If so which yards are best? I am also wondering if I can take a loan out on the boat to have the work done. What banks do this? The boat was taken apart for restoration, They varnished alot of the cabinatry and bought a lot of new parts including a new engine(installed and running), but they got ill and passed away, never finishing their dream. The boat has been sitting for a little while now.
If I can't find an affordable/trustworthy yard, I think I'll sell it for around $60k, that seems to be a decent price, right?
Any input will help,
Thanks,
Duane.
froggman180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Hi, Duane;

I'm by no means an expert on Hardins, though I did admire a few in my boat-shopping a few years back; but I do have some perspective on a big refit, as my Cuttyhunk 59 is currently being resurrected in Trinidad (3rd year and counting...).

A boat in any state other than "cruise-ready" or "turn-key" (and few boats for sale really are) is at a serious disadvantage re resale value. Perhaps you know this, as you're looking to have her worked on. There is a wide range of fixer-upper values, so without a lot more info there's no way for the casual observer to confirm that 60K is a fair price for her as is.

I can't vouch for Mexico, but I can speak for Trinidad as being a good place to have a wood-intensive boat reworked, as teak grows native, and the labour rates are reasonable compared to the US. I imagine Mexico ought to be competitive re the latter; certainly better than what you'll find in San Diego.

My general advice is to have her thoroughly surveyed and appraised as is, where is. There may be skeletons you don't know about. Accurate bad news is far better than optimistic speculation. You may do better to sell her warts and all without spending another dime, than to get her all pretty and then take a loss anyway...unless it's important for you to finish your parents' dream regardless of cost.

I have to hand it to you, you're ahead of the game in knowing what size and kind of boat is right for you. It will allow you to look at the subject of the Hardin with more objective eyes.

Just a few random thoughts to toss around. Best of luck!

Geoff