Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 17:27   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Arch for solar panel. Bolted to the hull or attached to the balcony?

Hi,
I am planning on adding an arch for solar panels/wind generator on my Oceanis 40 (2008). There are two main designs for arches: bolted to the hull (usually 40mm tubes) or attached to the balcony (usually around 30mm tubes). My preference goes to the bolted design as it seems stronger to support the solar panels and wind generator (and various antennas). However, I already have davits installed so wouldn't it be an overkill to go for bolted as it is much more expensive exercise?
Thank you for sharing your view on this.
mferon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:42   #2

Re: Arch for solar panel. Bolted to the hull or attached to the balcony?

I have no idea what a balcony is on a sailboat but maybe you meant bimini ...your better off bolting it to the hull but your right it is more expensive...
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 17:59   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I have no idea what a balcony is on a sailboat but maybe you meant bimini ...your better off bolting it to the hull but your right it is more expensive...

+1. Also not sure what the balcony is, but it also depends on how much solar you’re talking about adding
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 22:58   #4

Hi again,
By balcony I meant pushpit.
Thank you
Old 16-03-2018, 02:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mferon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 05:02   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

100% to the hull.

Or remove pushpit and have one unit made with nice seats, etc and railing/lifelines.

Cheers
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 05:19   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

If you mount it to the pushpit you're going to almost certainly have to reinforce it with legs fore and aft as well as perhaps some diagonal struts to stiffen the whole assembly laterally. It will be significantly cheaper to fabricate than a new arch, but at the expense of strength, clutter, and aesthetics.

Another option, depending on the design of your davits, is to mount a solar panel frame across the top of them and then a separate pole for the wind generator. I'd call that the "middle ground" solution if it would work.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 08:21   #8

Photos would help a lot. One or two of the boat, and maybe some of the size arch & equipment you want installed.

Another question, does one location offer much better route for running the solar power wires?
dave777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 11:07   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
100% to the hull.

Or remove pushpit and have one unit made with nice seats, etc and railing/lifelines.

Cheers
+1 Not only will it support your solar, etc, but you can install some great "hunter" seats as well...best seats in the house! Build it as solid as possible...the next owner will thank you.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 17:21   #10

Boat: O'Day 34

Mounting to the hull is definitely stronger. My idea was to mount to the hull and brace to the pushpit but my welder/fabricator suggested removing the pushpit and replacing it all with 50mm aluminum tubing.
This came out a lot stronger and much more aesthetically pleasing. As you can see from the attached pic, it provides mounts for 2-360watt Sunpower PV panels, a weather station, radar, and Sirius weather antenna. It also serves as davits for both the dingy and outboard motor. There would be no problem attaching a wind generator to it. All wiring is routed inside the tubing.
I don’t know where you’re located, but Joe Pesch of Riverside Marina in Ft Pierce, Fl built mine for about $3k, around 50% of the cost of other quotes I received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB7240C0-03D2-4DF3-A789-B88BC07C49DE.jpg
Views:	2199
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	166497  
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 19:42   #11

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferon View Post
Hi,
I am planning on adding an arch for solar panels/wind generator on my Oceanis 40 (2008). There are two main designs for arches: bolted to the hull (usually 40mm tubes) or attached to the balcony (usually around 30mm tubes). My preference goes to the bolted design as it seems stronger to support the solar panels and wind generator (and various antennas). However, I already have davits installed so wouldn't it be an overkill to go for bolted as it is much more expensive exercise?
Thank you for sharing your view on this.
Both. Rather than have something that looks bolted on, we integrated ours with the pushpit. Essentially the arch replaces two of the pushpit stanchions, so your pushpit becomes much stronger, and aesthetically, it looks like it came out of the factory that way (well that's what we feel, and going by the comments we get, there is no disagreement).

Here are some photos of our installation on our Oceanis 50.

I hope that helps with your considerations. Note also that we have as well as solar, davits, WiFi, 4G and Navtex mounted on the arch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Arch 1.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	166582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arch 2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	166583  

Name:	DSC02052.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	166584  
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 20:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
Mounting to the hull is definitely stronger. My idea was to mount to the hull and brace to the pushpit but my welder/fabricator suggested removing the pushpit and replacing it all with 50mm aluminum tubing.
This came out a lot stronger and much more aesthetically pleasing. As you can see from the attached pic, it provides mounts for 2-360watt Sunpower PV panels, a weather station, radar, and Sirius weather antenna. It also serves as davits for both the dingy and outboard motor. There would be no problem attaching a wind generator to it. All wiring is routed inside the tubing.
I don’t know where you’re located, but Joe Pesch of Riverside Marina in Ft Pierce, Fl built mine for about $3k, around 50% of the cost of other quotes I received.
Attractive enough for sure but everything you install above the panels has the ability to shade them, sort of the 2nd best idea in my opinion.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 20:33   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Have you thought anodized aluminium? Atlantic arches make a nice product.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 16:51   #14

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and photos.
bolted seems to be the answer, and integrating the arch with the pushpit could be a good option. I now need to find a place near Port Leucate in France where I can find a good arch "maker".
Old 20-03-2018, 17:20   #15

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferon View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and photos.
bolted seems to be the answer, and integrating the arch with the pushpit could be a good option. I now need to find a place near Port Leucate in France where I can find a good arch "maker".
OK, so we were receiving quotes in France for EUR8-9000. Ours was made in Port Yasmine for a little over EUR2000. It is an overnight sail from where you are. Might be worth the trip (nice people too). This time of the year, you could probably get it made in around two weeks. Typically, they come and measure, return a few days later with the rough bends done. Do some more bending on-site, then tack-weld everything up, and take away to complete and polish. A week later they arrive, and spend most of the day welding into the pushpit, polishing the joints etc.

Final job for us was 95% to my satisfaction (and I doubt it would have been 100% anywhere else either - quite particular as to how things are done).

Wherever you get it done, we look forward to updates and photos.

Good luck,

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, hull, solar