Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-06-2015, 15:04   #16

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Applying Epoxy to Teak

I am in the process of doing my exterior Teak. The bristol finish that was on it is suffering total failure . Im not sure how long it has been on , but it is coming off in sheets.
This time I am using East Epoxy, 2 coats , and then Imron Elite clear 8821s . This is a two part true Polyurethane clear , that is used large trucks and jet air craft , just about any really tough use application. I am in the car business so i could get my hands on it . I don't think it is sold to the public . Even so , it was not cheap , 400$ plus, a gallon . Takes a long time to dry , but wow ! when it does , it is a very durable hard / flexible top coat with very high UV resistance . Time will tell if it works .

Regards

Old 02-06-2015, 21:27   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I hope it works for you. I have seen some terrible disasters where epoxy was used on exterior teak.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:18   #18

I had a Flying Dutchman with a bit of exposed wood and did it this way . Left it outside without a cover for many years and it held very well , can't say so much for the paint on it .
Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:12   #19

Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37

All the test that I have ever seen suggest that the epoxy does not stand up to UV over an extended period of time. The recommendations have been, Epoxy as the base coat topped with varnish to protect the epoxy from UV. I have used this and it is holding up wonderfully.
Old 03-06-2015, 14:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
All the test that I have ever seen suggest that the epoxy does not stand up to UV over an extended period of time. The recommendations have been, Epoxy as the base coat topped with varnish to protect the epoxy from UV. I have used this and it is holding up wonderfully.
Very glad to hear this. I figured there must be a better way, I really didn't want to take all the Bristol Finnish off and then reapply the same stuff, just to fail again! It really is a lot of work !

Hey ceder strip canoes have been using epoxy with a UV blocking clear on top for years , and they look great !

Regards
Old 03-06-2015, 14:55   #21
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Applying Epoxy to Teak

It will have ugly yellow blisters inside 12 months..
The teaks natural oils and epoxy do not get on..
But then again.. WTF do I know..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 15:30   #22

Boat: csy 37

Unless you really enjoy working endlessly on your teak, year after year and sometimes month after month, try Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil. Easy to use and lasts for years.
Old 03-06-2015, 15:50   #23

The process that you are all referring to is called a full finish. A full finish is

Step 1: 2-3 layers of a low viscosity epoxy like West Systems 105/207
Step 2: 2-3 layers of a varnish/polyurethane of your choice.

Why?

Teak is a oily substrate and varnish or polyurethane has a good UV lifespan, it has a poor adhesion lifespan. A low viscosity epoxy will adhere far better to teak than any other 2 part varnish product, ESPECIALLY with the oily substrate. The problem with Epoxy as everyone knows it sucks in UV environments. That is why you should coat with your choice of Varnish/ polyurethane to keep the epoxy away from degrading in UV light while the epoxy does its job holding to the teak.

If you think it is a bad idea, I would direct you to some of the best shipwrights in the business. Delta marine that makes some of the nicest Yachts in the world does this exact process on all exposed wood on every yacht they complete. This is where I learned of this trick. Few people do it because its expensive, time consuming and everyone's first reaction is epoxy on teak.... no way. I have done exactly this for several of my sailboats and the last boat. 2 weeks to complete but only needed 20 minutes of maintenance per year after that. It still looked great after 6 years. In my opinion, this is the only way to go.

The best part is, on small areas where the varnish was starting to flake, I sanded down to epoxy, acetone wipe and reapplied a new layer of varnish. Looked perfect. In any other scenario, that would have involved a full peel and sand and reapply of all new varnish.

I will agree, if you leave your boat for several years to sit and bake in the sun without care, you are asking for trouble, but if you keep up with this application, you will be redoing varnish every 10 years instead of every 3-4.

Tags
epoxy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: