Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-04-2014, 20:13   #31

Boat: CT-41
Re: Anyone Pull their own Masts?

How big is essential info. In the past, have stepped masts on boats from 15 to 27 feet, no problem. My current boat is a CT-41. Masts keel stepped, main 44' from deck, 50+ feet from step, about 800 pounds. Mizzen about 40" feet from deck, 45 feet from step, around 400 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MystiqueOriginalFB.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	79161  

Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 21:48   #32

Boat: O'Day 302

An earlier thread of mine:
Raising and Lowering Your Mast | easier than you think

Old 31-08-2014, 15:42   #33

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

Vino, any updates? We are thinking about lowering our mast ourselves using the A-frame technique (I checked out the above link, very helpful) Our Aloha 34 has a mast that is 48'. What did you end up doing?

I'm not going to lie, I am a bit nervous to attempt this and still need to do much more research but was just wanting some feedback. All the A-frame removals I've watched on YouTube have been 30' or less boats. I'm sure it's just a little more difficult and technical with a larger boat, but is there any reason I should not be considering this option? (The main reason we are looking at this is because we are located in east tn, where there is only one marina within 60 miles that has a crane)

Another thing... Could we put the mast back in using this method, or is it best for removal only?
Old 31-08-2014, 16:03   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

When we bought our ketch in 1985 we pulled our two keel steped masts up from a sling under the spreaders with the use of block and tackle on a pole at the marina wharf. With the center of gravity lower than the spreader lift point and guide lines, a slow and easy maneuver is simple. The only difficulty in doing this now is to find a place where DIY is allowed with liability concerns. I only assume it's easier in the north where boats are out of the water for the winter.
Old 31-08-2014, 16:12   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Whilst the nearest marina may be a long way away, isn't there a nearby crane hire company that could do half a day?
Old 31-08-2014, 16:41   #36

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

That is an option and I still need to look into pricing them. The thing of it is we would need to rent one for removal, then again for putting it back up. Also my boyfriend is a big fan of doing it all by himself and enjoys the challenge. While he may be considered a penny pincher, the main priority is doing it correctly. If it can be done correctly at a lower cost it's a win win.

Just wanted some feedback and tips/ tricks from someone who has successfully (or unsuccessfully) attempted to remove their own mast.

But I will be checking costs at the marina and for cherry picker/crane rentals. Just testing the waters here.
Old 31-08-2014, 22:48   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Another method not mentioned so far is to use two other yachts rafted alongside. Using their masthead halyards, one can get a fairly even lift and maintain control of the extractee.

We did this for a 35 foot trimaran in Mexico in 1987. The other boat involved was the original Joshua, so you know that fancy gear isn't required!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-09-2014, 13:28   #38

Boat: CT-41

Update:

I am just getting ready to re-step my masts after a complete rebuild. I ended up having a boom truck pull them at the yard I chose to do the work in. It is a DIY yard in Ilwaco, Washington, very reasonable costs and you can do anything, including stay on the boat with a dog.

Had to pull the mizzen before haul out because the travel lift could not get far enough up for the straps with it on. That meant pulling the mizzen was part of the $250 round trip haul out cost. They charged me $50 to pull the main after we went on the hard. With these costs, about 1/10 the price of hiring it done in Portland.

Still glad I posed the question. DIY to pull masts on any boat under 30' would be easy. Doing my mizzen would not be too hard with any number of methods; A-frame, gin pole, hanging off a bridge, etc., anywhere you can get a chain block or similar above them. Between two other boats off their masts would be my least favorite method due to motion. Doing my main (60' keel to tip) would be quite scary with an A-frame, but possible if one had to. Pulling it from under a bridge would be easy if in flat water. Having the yard boom truck help with it is a no-brainer, as long as the yard is not filled with hundred-dollar-per-hour guys who won't let you help.

Just about any boom truck will do, so long as the boom reach is above the tip of the mast. Secure rope around spreaders (care not to use spreaders as purchase point - use great big prussic knot around mast. If purchase is lower, run a line up sufficient to hold mast straight when pulling, and secure it tight to the mast so purchase is lower, but guided straight higher. For safety, set second prussic above the first one with independent loops on the crane hook. Same technique for pulling up from a bridge.

I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	87514  
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 14:12   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Another method not mentioned so far is to use two other yachts rafted alongside. -----
Jim - You apparently missed posts # 12 & 24.

I've done it that way myself, removing the main mast from my old Piver 35' trimaran by rafting it in between two monohull ketches, one 35' and one 54'. the mast on the tri was deckstepped, solid wood (heavy) with multihull size rigging (heavy), but all went well. Took 6-8 of us to carry it down the dock though.

Tags
mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: