Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2018, 18:39   #1

Boat: Nauticat38
Anyone know where to find a replacement for this?

Hi all! I'm refitting my 72 nauticat 38 and I need to replace my mast heel? Foot?

Nothing I've seen online looks anywhere close to this piece, and this is taken right off the bottom of the mast. If anyone has any idea what style of bass this is, or any insight on where to go to find out, I'd be greatly appreciative!
Old 05-05-2018, 18:41   #2

Re: Anyone know where to find a replacement for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
Hi all! I'm refitting my 72 nauticat 38 and I need to replace my mast heel? Foot?

Nothing I've seen online looks anywhere close to this piece, and this is taken right off the bottom of the mast. If anyone has any idea what style of bass this is, or any insight on where to go to find out, I'd be greatly appreciative!
Pictures!Click image for larger version

Name:	1525570791062.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	169276Click image for larger version

Name:	1525570545701.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	169277Click image for larger version

Name:	1525570527053.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	169278Click image for larger version

Name:	1525570510416.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	169279
Old 05-05-2018, 18:52   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
I guess that what you are showing is a mast step. Called by some a mast shoe.

Why do you imagine it needs be replaced?

Why not just clean it up, perhaps with sand blasting, and then powder coat it? Or other alternative coatings and treatments?
Old 05-05-2018, 19:09   #4

I was hoping to be able to, but there is a bolt hole that connects it to the deck that is broken out, and it's only held in place with two!Click image for larger version

Name:	1525572536970.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	169280
Old 05-05-2018, 19:21   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I was hoping to be able to, but there is a bolt hole that connects it to the deck that is broken out, and it's only held in place with two!Attachment 169280
That could be welded up and redrilled fairly easily. And most of the load on the step is downward... usually enough to hold it in place several times over!

IMO, not a hard restoration job.

Jim
Old 05-05-2018, 20:03   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That could be welded up and redrilled fairly easily. And most of the load on the step is downward... usually enough to hold it in place several times over!

IMO, not a hard restoration job.

Jim
Agree, get it repaired. Busted mast step on my Hobie 33 last year (boat wake while stepping mast). Local shop welded it up and reinforced too, better than new.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 20:22   #7

Well all of this is great news. I had a rigger come out and tell me it was a 50-50 whether or not I should get a new stick or *stick* with the one I had. And he pointed to a bunch of the standing rigging that he called scary. Scary indeed! The idea of having to buy a new mast was extremely scary.
I've inspected the thing from the top to bottom and seen no cracking, no major trauma, and the little bit of corrosion found looked nowhere near as bad as on some other masts I've seen.
Old 05-05-2018, 22:16   #8

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
And he pointed to a bunch of the standing rigging that he called scary.
That's only natural. A rigger's functions in society include (1) to generate business for herself/himself (and the people upstream of her); and (2) to make generic hand-waving gestures about your safety, with the aim of protecting the rigger from any claims of negligence against the rigger.

Let's put the standing rigging aside for the moment (while noting that it's always good to renew standing rigging).

Let's call the object in post #2 the mast step. It would be expensive to make. I'd suggest examining it carefully to see if it was anodised. If the mast step was not originally anodised, I'd suggest finding a competent person who could blast it with garnet sand, on the basis of cleaning the surface in preparation for powder coating. Then powder coat. Choose an appealing colour.

Let's call the object in post #4 the deck strut, which locks the mast step in place. Of what metal is it made? It's structurally simple enough for you to either have a new one made or have the current damage repaired. If you judge that the original design was skimpy, in the sense that the bolt hole was too close to the edge of the strut and that the skimpy design caused the problem, you could fabricate a new one slightly larger so there's more metal around the hole. And of course pay attention to metals, protecting your investment from galvanic corrosion etc.

Document what you do, both with the mast, mast step, and deck strut. Log entries and other records. That allows you to show any future purchaser/owner, govt authority, rigger, or whatever that you inspected and took action appropriately.

Same with the standing rigging. You do not compromise on safety. But you also do not throw money into the drink.
Old 05-05-2018, 22:22   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Shoe. Send pictures to Ballenger Spars in Hollister CA, they will either know, or know who to get you in touch with. Great folks.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 22:40   #10

Dollars to donuts that is a LaFiell mast. To add to Don's suggestion, I suggest giving them a call. Missile The link is to LaFiell, including their 800 phone number.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:08   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

when we redid out mast in 2011, the bottom end of the keel-stepped mast and shoe had some serious corrosion issues. I had a local machine shop-with experience with aluminum-came out, looked at it, and showed me a way to refurbish both. He did that,, then we had the yard strip and refinish the mast, I reattached all the hardware, and had new standing rigging installed. We restepped the mast, and have had no issues since. A quality machine shop/metal worker can work wonders-I would not rule that option out.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:25   #12

Try Selden. Swedish company with factories in the US very possible you have their rigging on your Finnish boat.

Seldén Mast AB

Good luck
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:59   #13

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I have seen masts all corroded by sitting in water The Mast shoe . I have seen them cut 6 inches off the mast bottom and make a shoe build up same height as the cut off piece. !Mounted to the keel !
Is yours deck stepped ? or keel stepped ? Im only talking about keel stepped.
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:04   #14

The weld on aluminum its the weakest link. The weld on steel is the strongest link ! Just sayin'
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:17   #15

Just have that shoe remade new. It's not a complicated piece to fabricate. No you dont need a new mast. Get it rebuilt while you are at it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men