Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2012, 19:35   #1

Boat: Crown 34'
Anyone in Seattle going to paint thier hull between now and April '13?

Hello everyone,

I thought I would take a shot in the dark to see if anyone might need help with painting thier hull. I'm not really sure how many people choose to paint thier hull now as opposed to in the spring. One of ny friends is having his done soon while he goes on his big hunting trip since he slices aboard. But he is having it done for him and I doubt I will be able to help.

I'm going to paint my hull in the spring and I learn best by physicalily doing things. Since I happen to be laid off I might as well use my free time to learn something and be better prepared for when I paint in spring.

I do have fiberglass experience. But there will be a lot of body work to be done so the worse the job the better.

Thanks for reading,

James
Old 16-11-2012, 21:22   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Anyone in Seattle going to paint thier hull between now and April '13?

During the winter months here in the PNW it would have to be done indoors or, at least, under cover in a enclosed shelter to keep out the moisture. If condensation settles on the paint it'll loose it's sheen.

But next spring I'll be adding another (third) coat to mine.
Old 16-11-2012, 21:27   #3

I figured it might be a long shot. But keep me updated, I'll be happy to help out come spring.
James Alberding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 21:52   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Alberding View Post
Hello everyone,

I thought I would take a shot in the dark to see if anyone might need help with painting thier hull. I'm not really sure how many people choose to paint thier hull now as opposed to in the spring. One of ny friends is having his done soon while he goes on his big hunting trip since he slices aboard. But he is having it done for him and I doubt I will be able to help.

I'm going to paint my hull in the spring and I learn best by physicalily doing things. Since I happen to be laid off I might as well use my free time to learn something and be better prepared for when I paint in spring.

I do have fiberglass experience. But there will be a lot of body work to be done so the worse the job the better.

Thanks for reading,

James

Are you looking for roll and tip experience or spray? I'm doing a major refit this winter that will include much of both. I could probably use an extra set of hands here and there if you're interested. I won't be shooting the whole hull, but will be laying new decks and doing lots of striping, as well as epoxy sealing and painting teak before heading south. Lot's of gelcoat work too. Here's a thread with pics of the yard and some of my work.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-67680.html
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 22:16   #5

The more things I can get experience with the better minaret. I figured I would roll and tip mine but if I can learn to spray also that may be a better option. I'll send you a message with my contact info.
Old 17-11-2012, 01:25   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Alberding View Post
The more things I can get experience with the better minaret. I figured I would roll and tip mine but if I can learn to spray also that may be a better option. I'll send you a message with my contact info.

Sure. It's not like I'd let you brush a final topcoat or anything, but you can learn a whole lot just being there. And you might get to brush some primer coats or topcoat that's not final if you are doing well. Same goes for spray. But to be perfectly honest there would be a lot more prep work than anything else (as with any paint job). Can you push a longboard? The size of the job is pretty massive, plenty of room to learn. Your boat would seem like a piece of cake afterward.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 08:37   #7

Heavy lifting isn't an issue. It would be great to get to do some painting but I totally get it and will just soak up everything I can. I am really more worried about learning the proper preparations. I can be a perfectionist to a fault at times and I know that if you don't prep for it well enough it won't matter how well you paint it. I don't want to polish any turds
Old 18-11-2012, 10:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

You would think you would get a flock of people Jim. I am doing my Valiant down in Astoria in April. If you don't have enough back breaking labor by then, feel free to join up.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 22:27   #9

Haha I'll keep it in mind. Newt. But I'll be hauling out in April also