Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 15:44   #31

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Re: Anybody 3D Modeled their boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
There was an article in Proboat a few issues ago about a photogrammetry system for doing exactly this. (I'll try to dig out the reference.) ....
Found it.
Proboat #132 (Aug/Sep 2011). The system's called Rhinophoto, made by Qualup SAS of Le Chateau, Lugny, France. Takes about four hours to scan and model an 80-foot boat.
Old 27-11-2012, 22:31   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmyhunny View Post
I 3d model everything I build no matter what the project or wither I am building it or some ones else will be doing it. I’m a protectionist, design intent and final outcome must be measurable and definable to me, and besides that is what I do. I do this professionally as one of the services of my company, having said that I am talking mostly about new items and boats to be built. Where it comes to existing boats and new parts, additions or modifications I do that as well, but to a lesser extent. There is a company in Vancouver that will scan your boat for you, this isn’t a cheap proposition, (sorry can’t remember the name right now), due to the cost most of my customers have always just had me develop a model from careful measurements, lines drawings etc. For my present refit I have not yet modeled the whole boat but simply the parts I intend to work on. At some point I would expect I will have the whole boat done. If you would like the name of the company that does the scanning I could find that out, but won’t be back in my office till after December 6th, contact me by PM.
Thank you. I'm not going to spend a bunch of $$ on it. I do really want to do the dodger so I can see how planned mods will look. I will do this eventually
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 23:51   #33

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Here is my dodger design, I am drawing it using Google sketchup. Its free and best of all there is plenty of help movies on the net.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit4a.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	50382

Regarding survey scanners. I am an engineering surveyor in the mining and construction industries. I have used very powerful scanners for surveying large open cut pits. They are now capable of shooting 2km and hundreds of thousands of points in a couple of minutes. The one we were using was over 300k and we had to edit out the dust from vehicles driving by. Simply amazing technology.
This technology is becoming common place in allot of survey companies these days. With the right company, I would expect it to take about 2 hours of setup and field work and then a day in the office to produce a model. So that should cost 1 surveyor for 2 days.
I am taking a bit of a stab in the dark here but it really may not be that expensive. I know if it was just the outside of the boat, it would only take about half an hour for a good operator to process the data and produce the model. There are allot of cheaper scanners out there as well. It might not be as expensive as you think. The boat would have to be on the hard of course.
Old 27-11-2012, 23:55   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Here is my dodger design, I am drawing it using Google sketchup. Its free and best of all there is plenty of help movies on the net.
Attachment 50382

Regarding survey scanners. I am an engineering surveyor in the mining and construction industries. I have used very powerful scanners for surveying large open cut pits. They are now capable of shooting 2km and hundreds of thousands of points in a couple of minutes. The one we were using was over 300k and we had to edit out the dust from vehicles driving by. Simply amazing technology.
This technology is becoming common place in allot of survey companies these days. With the right company, I would expect it to take about 2 hours of setup and field work and then a day in the office to produce a model. So that should cost 1 surveyor for 2 days.
I am taking a bit of a stab in the dark here but it really may not be that expensive. I know if it was just the outside of the boat, it would only take about half an hour for a good operator to process the data and produce the model. There are allot of cheaper scanners out there as well. It might not be as expensive as you think. The boat would have to be on the hard of course.
wow, a 2km pit!? it boggles the mind. Thank you for the insight, I may look into it a little bit. The boat is currently on the hard for the winter, the problem is that it's shoe-horned in-between a couple others at the moment.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 06:03   #35

Wow... Really interesting thread. As it happens I'm just starting the refit of a 37' custom aluminum yacht that has no plans or blueprints. I am almost finished with gutting the interior with everything down to the aluminum skins and ribs. I wonder if anyone has used a Microsoft kinect or maybe a leap sensor to digitize interiors. I'm going to need custom tanks and I'd like to plan the joinery in a model to test various layouts plus get a rough idea how much material costs will be. I'm struggling with a few other odds and ends... engine relocation, shower/toilet stall ergonomics / fiberglass work, systems placement / interference and what not. I am also trying to figure out if I can add a freestanding mast and how much structural reinforcement will be required.

...and yes I'd be willing to pay someone to do the and/or teach me how to do this.
anontrolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 09:27   #36

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Um, don't need to. I have the line drawings, construction drawings and she's a multi-chine boat. NO problem at all once I figure out Autocad 3d. Just don't have the time right now.
A cheaper option easier to understand and reads Auto cad drawings is Deltacad.

I use it all the time and I don't work for them

Delta Cad - World's easiest CAD program, CAD software

Ahh, but it doesn't do 3d easily, sorry.

For that I use sketch up by google.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 22:10   #37

Just ran across the following project:

3D mapping of huge areas with a Kinect

Unfortunately, it looks like the code is proprietary and the presentation generated fails to elaborate on how they obtained position data:

http://www.pointclouds.org/assets/cvpr2012/Kintinuous.pdf

All of that commotion was about 6 months ago, so I'd say the project got lost in intellectual property land.

Also,

I was keeping an eye on this when was below $2000, but a few days later it tripled in price:

Leica HDS 3000 Scanner 3D | eBay
anontrolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 16:00   #38

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

I used a total station(reflectorless), on my boat hull which resulted in about 2000+ accurate points, then I mirrored all my data for a total of almost 5000 points.

Then I put this data into Sketchup and got a headache.

For certain, I will have to layer the data into sketchup so I can work with it.

A thought ...

if someone wanted to hire a surveyor to get hull data, I might suggest some really cheap 1/4" rope with that imbedded reflecting material.

Then tie off the rope in sections and let the surveyor shoot along the rope . . . preferably in the same direction as what stringers would be.

At least this way, the data won't be as random as mine ended up being and it would be a lot easier trying to pick out points to connect.

BTW ... if anyone's interested, my boat is a Newport 28.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 18:12   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
What do you use it for? Or anticipate using it for? recutting sails or new rigging or???
I have used it several times for buying new sails. Perfect fits every time and the genoa lead falls exactly where I wanted it. I also used it to make new bow and stern pulpits to replace the hurricane wrecked stuff that was on it.

I would never CAD the hull or interior but the masts are pretty exact and the critical parts of the deck and deck hardware is in proper place.

I also made models of the rudder and CB. Both had to be replaced or totally rebuilt so there was reason to have accurate models.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:14   #40

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Wondering if there are year 2020 updates on this topic...

I have been using Fusion360 to model things (stand-alone parts and cabin refit concepts) in my 21-footer but I do not have a scan of the interior and it is time to fit some cabinets. My best results so far have been cardboard and hot-melt glue templates that made/fitted in-place that seem to do better than lofting a pattern from measurements.

-Anyone having success with photogrammetry for this type of job?
-Are there low-end 3d scanners that are good enough for this like XYZPrinting 1.0?
-Is anyone using mid level (like Peel, Einscan, Artec Eva Lite) or high level 3D scanning equipment for nautical purposes?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!