Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 21:22   #1

Boat: Tanzer,1976,26'
Any one know of any good modifications for a 1976 26' tanzer, yes, we have a project

What is a 1976 26' tanzer made of and can anyone tell me about them. Looking for any simple advice on modifications, retrofit, and customizing them, also any problems with them. It will be a liveabord boat, and I'm on a budget, but will try to get some pics up. I'll be looking at it tomorrow Oct 8 2016 for the first time.

Cheers, Eric Stinnett
Ericsstinnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Any one know of any good modifications for a 1976 26' tanzer, yes, we have a proj

T26 Rudder Replacement ➥ Tanzer 26 Rudder Page

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:56   #3

Re: Any one know of any good modifications for a 1976 26' tanzer, yes, we have a proj

Look for a different one if it needs much work, even if the current one is free.
The cost to do much work on a boat that size will quickly exceed the value of the boat fixed up.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 15:06   #4

It doesn't seem to need anything, other than perhaps a new motor, I'm trading a 16' cargo trailer for it. Trailer is a 1995 model, not title. May have been a bad deal for me, open to input.
Old 08-10-2016, 15:07   #5

Also I am going to make it a small liveabord, opinions, thoughts welcome.
Old 08-10-2016, 16:40   #6
SFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsstinnett View Post
...It doesn't seem to need anything, other than perhaps a new motor....
Outboard, I hope. A new inboard will be very expensive. Used outboards can be had for relatively smaller money.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 16:58   #7

Yeah I'm picking up a 40 HP Mercury for next to nothing, needs some work though, new carburetor, any thoughts? Also the motor says 4 HP, I'm thinking the 0 after the 4 on the 40hp label fell off or faded, any chance it's a scam?
Old 08-10-2016, 17:27   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Yeah I'm picking up a 40 HP Mercury for next to nothing, needs some work though, new carburetor, any thoughts? Also the motor says 4 HP, I'm thinking the 0 after the 4 on the 40hp label fell off or faded, any chance it's a scam?
There's a simple test that will tell you if it is a 4 or a 40: can you lift it off the ground with one hand?

And on the off chance that you were asking a serious question, a 40 hp outboard is far more weight and power than can be mounted on your transom. An appropriate motor will be in the order of 4-10 hp.

Jim
Old 08-10-2016, 17:46   #9

The guy I'm buying the boat from tells me it's a 40hp. Did a little research on line. Looks to be a blue lable Mercury 40 4hp. I believe it may have a single piston. It is a old motor. Anyone know anything about them. I'm thinking it may be hard to find parts. Thoughts anyone?
Old 08-10-2016, 18:01   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Looks to be a blue lable Mercury 40 4hp
I don't understand that... do you mean that it was a "model 40 MErcury" which produces 4 hp? If so, being a single cylinder engine is typical. If it ran well, it would be a marginal motor for a 26 foot boat. OK in calms, likely struggle to get upwind in any sort of wind or sea beyond calm.

Further, older o/bs were not nearly as reliable as modern ones*, especially if it predates CD ignition systems. I'd be pretty suspicious of it's usefulness to you. As a new sailor, a reliable engine can be a lifesaver (literally).

*Modern in this case meaning roughly post 1980 or so...guess I'm showing my age here!

Jim
Old 08-10-2016, 18:28   #11

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

From memory we had an early Mercury that had an extra 0 after the actual HP on the engine cowling. It used to leave me scratching my head wondering why they did that.

Anyway, 4 hp would be scarily inadequate in any kind of wind and the weight of a 40 hp on the stern would make the boat near un-sailable so either way I don't think you have your engine problems solved.
Old 08-10-2016, 18:58   #12

Boat: Alberg 35

I had a Tanzer 22 for eight years and I've been around T26's as well. I can't imagine a 40 hp outboard; as several have said, something in the 6 hp range would be appropriate.

The newer rudder design is a good improvement. I believe the T26 has an iron keel, like the T22, which means it benefits from sand blasting, immediate barrier coat, bottom paint.

Solid boats!
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 19:39   #13

So glad to find out about the keel. The boat has no room for a bilge pump really. Like maybe just two or three inches. Anyone know of a very low profile bilge pump, or perhaps the pump would have to be set else where and a hose run to the bilge, which would require a self priming pump, these are often larger and require a some what substantial amount of water to prime. No to mention any additional water left in the suction line running from the bilge to the pump, which would fall back to the bilge after the pump losses prime. Any have a better idea?
Old 08-10-2016, 19:43   #14

Also it would seem like a 6 HP would move the boat easy on a calm day, any thoughts if I take it to blue water. Maybe a 9.9 HP. Or should I stay to the inner costal waterways and bays. I was hoping I could in time take this boat out into the actual gulf of Mexico, good idea or bad?
Old 08-10-2016, 20:20   #15

Quote:
Also it would seem like a 6 HP would move the boat easy on a calm day, any thoughts if I take it to blue water. Maybe a 9.9 HP. Or should I stay to the inner costal waterways and bays. I was hoping I could in time take this boat out into the actual gulf of Mexico, good idea or bad?
There's a pretty significant price and weight difference between the two but the 9.9 is a pretty common o/b on 26 or 27 footers of that vintage, and will move you quicker when you encounter (or preferably foresee!) trouble. I would happily sail a T26 in the gulf in decent weather if it was well-founded and properly equipped, and my skills were up to snuff. On the other hand, steep seas and strong winds can be pretty terrifying in a 26 footer offshore, so I would exercise prudence around how far offshore I would sail, or coasts without decent shelter. Others would be and have been more adventurous, and most of them returned.
Brob2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
project