Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 21:57   #16

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
To my mind, if you are a crusier and you are worried about what anti-foul gives you the best speed, maybe you aren't as much of a cruiser as you like to think that you are. If we were talking about what anti-foul lasted longest between recoats, or what antifoul provided best bang for your buck, now that I could understand, but in terms of speed, whoa nelly!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 00:08   #17

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
Anyone tried the coppercote, copppershield style antifouls that claim up to ten years use out of them???? heres one i found on the net. i know there are others.
Ecosea, cuprotect, copper antifouling - Extended Life - Guaranteed
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:52   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Jim Seidel, assistant marketing manager at Interlux, says the industry has experimented with spices and other organic ingredients*, all with negligible results.

* ie: Cayenne & Chili peppers (capsaicin), tetracycline hydrochloride (antibiotic), Zinc Oxide (Desitin diaper rash cream) etc

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:52   #19

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Viking69
I looked at the site for Cuprotect and it looks good but not available in North America. I found the article I talked about ealier. It was in PBO and it was hot chili powder that was mixed with the antifouling paint not cayenne pepper. I knew it was something hot.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:35   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but I'm considering going the opposite way from the original poster. I've got VC17 on my boat and am considering going to something else. The VC17 has been burnished and I like the speed difference over the old paint which wasn't burnished (+15%) but I sure could use something which combats slime. If I leave the boat parked for a couple of weeks, I get grass about 8 inches long at the waterline!
VC 17 is formulated for use in freshwater. I suspect you have a fairly low rate of fouling up in the San Juans, but even so, you would probably be much better off with something else. I recommend a modified epoxy like Petit Trinidad SR. Excellent anti fouling properties, durable and can be burnished to a very smooth finish.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:38   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking69 View Post
Anyone tried the coppercote, copppershield style antifouls that claim up to ten years use out of them???? heres one i found on the net. i know there are others.
Ecosea, cuprotect, copper antifouling - Extended Life - Guaranteed
My experience with copper-loaded epoxies (like Copperpoxy) is that in moderate to high fouling regions they give VERY poor performance. I would never recommend them, ever.
Old 02-11-2007, 14:55   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
fstbttms,

I'm somewhat South of the San Juans with a canal system moorage. The water does get a little fresh water runoff when it rains, but it's basically salt around 50 degrees f.
In the summer with long hours of sun and on those days when there's not much tidal change the surface temp can get to 65 for a short time. That's when the grass fairly explodes!

Thanks for the recommendation. Would I have to remove all the paint first as the VC is vinyl based?

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 15:17   #23

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
VC 17 has teflon and has to be wiped completely off before applying any other paint except VC Offshore.
Old 02-11-2007, 18:21   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Would I have to remove all the paint first as the VC is vinyl based?
As Vasco noted, vinyl-based paints are not compatible with other types.
Old 17-10-2008, 20:07   #25

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
Lancerbye, All those add ins(pepper, anti-biotics, etc) were in favour years ago in Oz, I used them myself, but none worked at all. I even tried the copper epoxy. What a waste of time and money.The best anti fouling was and probably still is the tin based products. Although illegal here except for aluminium hulls, and boats over, If I remember correctly, 90 ft and larger. it was really good. It seems paradoxical that a huge commercial boat/liner can use the tin based paint and pollute the water but a little yacht can't.
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 09:41   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolanreg@smartc View Post
The best anti fouling was and probably still is the tin based products. Although illegal here except for aluminium hulls, and boats over, If I remember correctly, 90 ft and larger. it was really good. It seems paradoxical that a huge commercial boat/liner can use the tin based paint and pollute the water but a little yacht can't.
Tributyl tin (both above and below the waterline) has been banned worldwide on all vessels as of this year. Nobody gets to use it on anything anymore.
Old 18-10-2008, 10:23   #27

I used VC17 on on boat but found it to of little use as bottom paint, even up here in the northwest where paints aren't challenged like in southern waters.. The slime that develops might slow you down more than what paint you have.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 12:12   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Tributyl tin (both above and below the waterline) has been banned worldwide on all vessels as of this year. Nobody gets to use it on anything anymore.
Actually, the new USE (application) of TBT was banned as of Jan. 1, 2003.
The presence of previously applied TBT was banned as of Jan, 2008.
This means that existing TBT anti-foulants must have been removed or effectively covered, by then.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 00:03   #29
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I used VC17 on on boat but found it to of little use as bottom paint, even up here in the northwest where paints aren't challenged like in southern waters.. The slime that develops might slow you down more than what paint you have.
VC17 is suitable for freshwater use only.
Old 19-10-2008, 01:03   #30

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
VC17 comes in a marine version that I just painted on my bottom which will be seeing saltwater. I hope it works! It originally had freshwater VC17 on the bottom, but that would have had to be completely removed since nothing will stick to it (teflon). Anyways, if it doesn't work, I'm only out about $100 for the paint, but I'll need to do a complete bottom paint removal job to use anything else. What a pain.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling