Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 03:49   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Antifouling -- Micron 66 vs Micron 77?

I am struggling to find any Micron 77, the discontinued antifouling which has performed so superbly well the last two years. It's by far the best antifouling I've ever used. Eye-wateringly expensive, but really worth it, because has worked solidly for two full years and so well that I've been able to scrub less often (three times a year vs four or five times).

I have found, however, some Micron 66. Does anyone have any experience with how well this performs compared to the Micron 77?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 09:35   #2

Re: Antifouling -- Micron 66 vs Micron 77?

We got 2 years out of Micron 66 with similar results to yours. Sailing Med and one crossing to Caribbean then a short time in Caribbean before renewing...
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 09:43   #3

Boat: Oyster 56

I have used Micron 66/77 for the last 8 years. Both were much better than anything else available in the shops here (north Adriaric), they last at least 2 1/2 years. Difference between them is 66 is not sutable for fresh water.
It is strange, i used 66 first but then i couldn't find it any more (end of production?) and switched to newer 77... so be careful, maybe this 66 is an old stock!
s57ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 09:47   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s57ra View Post
I have used Micron 66/77 for the last 8 years. Both were much better than anything else available in the shops here (north Adriaric), they last at least 2 1/2 years. Difference between them is 66 is not sutable for fresh water.
It is strange, i used 66 first but then i couldn't find it any more (end of production?) and switched to newer 77... so be careful, maybe this 66 is an old stock!
Thanks. Were they equally effective? Or how would you compare them?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 13:26   #5

Boat: Oyster 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks. Were they equally effective? Or how would you compare them?
I didn't notice the difference. Alse depends on the location and how much the boat is beeing used....
s57ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 13:54   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s57ra View Post
I didn't notice the difference. Alse depends on the location and how much the boat is beeing used....
OK, thanks. Useful data point.

One thing which I found striking about Micron 77 was that it seemed to work even if the boat wasn't moving. Last year I left my boat in the water for fully 6 months -- a record. 3 months moving a lot and 3000 miles, then 3 months standing almost without use. Lifted her and the bottom was slick as a whistle. Amazing. I used to use Jotun Sea Queen, back in the day before it was banned, and it worked very well but ONLY if the boat is moving all the time. If you let her stand for a few weeks, all bets off.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 14:03   #7

Yup, Micron 66 does work just as well sitting, it's actually something they brag about.
Old 19-03-2018, 17:32   #8

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

A few months ago, on behalf of another boat owner, I tried to determine the difference as well, between Micron 66 and 77.
Found that 77 is not available in some parts of the world (ie Australia and ?New Zealand) and 66 is not available in other parts.

Local (Oz) shops and distributors could not tell me the difference.
I then emailed the manufacturer International/Akzonobel.... and I am still waiting for their reply.

BTW I have never used Micron 66 or 77, and given the price, without positive evidence that it is much better, not likely to use it either.

I recall another thread on CF about this product here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-195080.html
Oh, original poster is also Dockhead.
Old 19-03-2018, 18:30   #9

When I apply ablative paints I use 2 colors..say the first coat is red and the next 2 coats are dark blue or black. When you see some of the red showing you know it's time to renew. I'm trying hard paint right now but if I go back to ablative I'll go back to Micron 66..Not cheap but it's about as good a paint as you can get.
Old 20-03-2018, 07:12   #10

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We applied 7 gallons of Micron 66 while we were in Trinidad (3 complete coats and one additional on the leading edges and waterline) and sailed up to Maine, back south - went up the Potomac for 2 weeks - then hauled the boat in Norfolk for the winter. Once out of the water we saw that the paint was failing badly, flaking off in many places even though it was only 6 months old. A call to Interlux informed us that Micron 66 is for salt water only- our trip up the Potomac had ruined it.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 07:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We applied 7 gallons of Micron 66 while we were in Trinidad (3 complete coats and one additional on the leading edges and waterline) and sailed up to Maine, back south - went up the Potomac for 2 weeks - then hauled the boat in Norfolk for the winter. Once out of the water we saw that the paint was failing badly, flaking off in many places even though it was only 6 months old. A call to Interlux informed us that Micron 66 is for salt water only- our trip up the Potomac had ruined it.

Yes that was really too bad, feel for you. Micron 66 can not be used for fresh water, it's too bad that people are still not being properly informed, although I think it's on the cans somewhere.
Old 20-03-2018, 07:45   #12

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
... A call to Interlux informed us that Micron 66 is for salt water only- our trip up the Potomac had ruined it.

That reply is really suspicious to me - sounds like a cop out...
If the paint is not meant for fresh water, it would make it ineffective.
But destroy and flake the coat if the boat is used in fresh water? hard to believe.
IMHO, your last application of the paint was faulty, such as a moist hull or the base coat not abraded enough.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 07:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
That reply is really suspicious to me - sounds like a cop out...
If the paint is not meant for fresh water, it would make it ineffective.
But destroy and flake the coat if the boat is used in fresh water? hard to believe.
IMHO, your last application of the paint was faulty, such as a moist hull or the base coat not abraded enough.
I think if you research this you'll find that this bottom paint was never intended for fresh water and it will ruin it and these folks are not the only ones that found out the hard way.
Old 20-03-2018, 08:05   #14

Boat: C&C

We've been using Interlux Ultra for 8 years now. Re apply 2 coats every 2 years and it works great. Boat sits in Lauderdale up the New River, not moving for 9 months approximately, then in The Bahamas cruising for the other 3 months. It looks like you could easily get 3 years out of it with the conditions we're in. Cheaper than Micron 66 also.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 08:11   #15

[QUOTE=wannacat;2600066]We've been using Interlux Ultra for 8 years now. Re apply 2 coats every 2 years and it works great. Boat sits in Lauderdale up the New River, not moving for 9 months approximately, then in The Bahamas cruising for the other 3 months. It looks like you could easily get 3 years out of it with the conditions we're in. Cheaper than Micron 66 also.[/QUOT

You are in a unique area..It's fairly well known that anything that grows in salt water will be killed by fresh water and vise versa so your big strength is your environment, not so much your bottom paint.