Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 17:20   #31

Re: Antifouling -- Micron 66 vs Micron 77?

Easy for you to say.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 17:26   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

So in the event I have found some Micron 77 still for sale, and ordered it today.

The cost is eye-watering, but the performance was so great the last two years -- I want more. Hull was always clean; boat was always fast. That's the way it should be.

The 77 is apparently an evolution of the 66 without the fresh water problem, using copper instead of zinc.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 05:59   #33

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
I remember reading that Micron 66 was for salt water only before we applied it but, at the time, we never expected to be in fresh water. Furthermore, I thought that, at worst, it would be ineffective in fresh water - not fail like flaking off. When I called Interlux, the guy I spoke with asked if the paint was ‘flaking off like corn flakes’, which is exactly what it looks like. Even though I was very disappointed to be out US$2,400 in bottom paint, I could only blame myself. However, realistically, I doubt I would have remembered that the bottom paint I applied in April was inappropriate for a destination in September. My memory just isn’t that good.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Yes this is a limiting factor of Micron 66 and I just bought new cans to paint my hull.
Knowing my nature I will not hesitate to venture into freshwater given a good reason. And I'm sure I won't think about hull paint when I do.

I am very interested in what Dockhead found out about Micron 77. Although, I can't find it for sale here in the U.S.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 06:10   #34

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
FWIW, Micron 66 lasts ~18 months in my location. I've found that SeaHawk Biocop TF lasts at least 24 months and trying for 3 years on the latest application.
interesting, you share the same warm water aggressive marine growth problems we do. I will give this paint a close look.

I can't remember what it was but, Years ago there was a product we used that was so good it kept the pilings clean around the boat in the marina. But the barnacle huggers forced it off the market.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 20:31   #35

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

Peeling and flaking is not a fault ofthe paint, ever. It is a preperation issue. Also when looking for an antifouling and not finding it in a location/country it is not usually a bad marketing ploy but one of local regulations as to what is allowed by way of approved toxins in that country. It typically takes several years to get a new antifoul approved and is getting more and more difficult as time goes on.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 22:25   #36

Reading that Micron 350 is the replacement for Micron 77. Micron 350 advertises that it is good in fresh and salt water.

Cheap too.....only 319 pounds a gallon, or maybe it's euro.
Old 26-03-2018, 23:31   #37

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand6000 View Post
Peeling and flaking is not a fault ofthe paint, ever. Snip.

You won’t learn if you ignore facts or opinions that don’t suit the views you already hold.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 08:45   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Peeling and flaking is not a fault ofthe paint, ever.
Well, that is simply not true. In the case of Micron 66, it will fail and flake off the hull if exposed to freshwater long enough and that has nothing to do with preparation, good or bad.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 09:03   #39

Quote:
Peeling and flaking is not a fault ofthe paint, ever. It is a preperation issue. Also when looking for an antifouling and not finding it in a location/country it is not usually a bad marketing ploy but one of local regulations as to what is allowed by way of approved toxins in that country. It typically takes several years to get a new antifoul approved and is getting more and more difficult as time goes on.
Spoken like an evangelical bottom paint expert who simply knows everything no matter the experience of others
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 10:44   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Spoken like an evangelical bottom paint expert who simply knows everything no matter the experience of others
Not just the experience of others -- the maker of the paint specifically warns that it will "cornflake up" and fall off if exposed to fresh water. Adhesion is a chemical thing, and not just a question of how the paint is applied. Not all well-applied paint sticks to all things in all conditions.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 07:26   #41

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
When I apply ablative paints I use 2 colors..say the first coat is red and the next 2 coats are dark blue or black. When you see some of the red showing you know it's time to renew. I'm trying hard paint right now but if I go back to ablative I'll go back to Micron 66..Not cheap but it's about as good a paint as you can get.
Robert Sailor,

Which hard paint did you use. I'm currently looking for paint because I can't get Pettit Trinidad in Europe.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote