Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2011, 06:18   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Antifoul Paint - RAGE

Why are there so many antifoul paints? Even in a specfic manuacturer there are a lot of choices and the differences aren't clear.

Sure there are different hull materials, seawater verse freshwater, hard and abative. But why so many within each catergory? Can the manuacturers not stand behind what they are making.

Is it to be sure we can not really figure it out? Seems even from the Practical Sailor tests I've read over the years that the diferences aren't want one would believe (price, copper percentage, etc etc.)

And who uses a single season hard paint in the Northest US? The last owner of my boat did this and now I have 10 years of layers that are flaking.

Does anyone really believe it is worth using a multi-year paint if you have to seasonly haul out each year? Is it worth not painting the bottom since the boat is out anyway?

If you haul every year and are going to paint the bottom, why would you even use a hard paint to start with? Why even use a hard paint for a cruiser to start with?

And if you haul each year, why would you use a multi-year abative paint that is just going to get pressure washed off during the haul out. Isn't that like washing money off the boat and down the drain?

I feel a little better now .............. I guess.
Old 23-11-2011, 06:29   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Antifoul paint - RAGE

Don,

I am sorry you can not sail right now, clearly you need to.

The voo-doo that is antifouling is tough since there is such a variety of small living creatures that we are trying to kill/destroy/give indigestion too.

I recall the river I kept the boat on in NC. One brand of ablative was needed in one marina (with and anti-slime agent) and high copperous oxide (sp) was needed farther down river for the growth... 5 miles apart, you needed different paints.

The annual hauling part does seem like a terrible pain... I hate the idea of being where the water turns hard like that... might want to consider someplace warmer.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 06:35   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Just to say, not meant to drink it.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 06:39   #4
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
The annual hauling part does seem like a terrible pain... I hate the idea of being where the water turns hard like that... might want to consider someplace warmer.

Whole different rage
Old 23-11-2011, 06:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I think Faith makes a good point. Different paints just work better in different areas. When I bought my boat it had bottom paint about a year old and was docked in Greenport NY. When I hauled it for survey a quick pressure wash had it looking like new. Sailed it to Narragansett Bay and 3 months later I had a 1" thick carpet covering the entire bottom. No hard growth but a solid coat of grass.

Spent most of a weekend free diving to clean the bottom (tanks and regs were in FL) and sailed to the Connecticut River. A month or so later the bottom looked like it had been pressure washed again. Apparently whatever the PO used worked a lot better in the brackish water of the river than whatever water was in RI.

In the past I always used a hard paint, but really was out of boating before the ablatives were practical. Like you said, after a few years you end up with a ton of paint, flaking and have to sand it all off to get a fresh start. Am going ablative now to see how that works.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 07:19   #6
CLOD

Would then seem that all paint maunacturer claims, testing, magnazine tests and reviews, etc are all worthless!

All that is important is polling what paint people at your location used and whether it worked.

I don't believe I've ever read on a paint marketd as being for brackish water.

So my rage in my mind stands, a bunch of paints that one can not sort though.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:31   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Why are there so many antifoul paints?
Horses for courses. Different fouling conditions, price points, boat usage patterns, local regulations, all these mean a variety of products is necessary. Choice is good. I'd hate to be limited to just a couple anti fouling paints.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 07:33   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I blame the problem on the copy writers. The chemists make each paint to address specific issues but the copy writers make them all seem suitable for all situations. When you read the ads they make it sound as if every one of their products is just as good as the next. They make it very hard to pick which one is best for your particular situation. Talk to the paint guy or owner at a locally owned marine store. They'll know what works best in your area.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:42   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Talk to the paint guy or owner at a locally owned marine store. They'll know what works best in your area.
Talk to your hull cleaner. He sees all the products being used in your area in action day in and day out. Nobody has more direct practical experience with what works and what doesn't.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:44   #10

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Practical Sailor frequently tests bottom paint and how well they work in different climates.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:47   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
Practical Sailor frequently tests bottom paint and how well they work in different climates.
Yes, I took their recommendation once! Didn't work out well at all.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:48   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
PS tests in two locations on the East Coast only. I find their results to be essentially useless.
Old 23-11-2011, 08:14   #13

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

The problem is that the local hull cleaner´s own economic prosperity is directly improved if the antifoul is terrible.
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 08:19   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
The problem is that the local hull cleaner´s own economic prosperity is directly improved if the antifoul is terrible.
No hull cleaner wants his job to be harder. He wants a paint that works well and is easy to clean. Further, as a marine service provider, his clients call upon him to provide good advice. How much respect and loyalty will he garner by recommending crappy anti fouling paints?
Old 23-11-2011, 08:24   #15

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Thank you, Fstbttms, for your insightful comments. I hope all your colleagues and competitors are as honourable and professional as you say. What do you think of the level of professionalism in your field as shown by your competitors?
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint