Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 20:47   #61

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Antifoul Paint - Do you add any 'extras'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Oh, so your intial statement in this thread wasn't about the efficacy of anti fouling paints as much as it was about the need (or lack thereof) for in-water hull cleaning?
I just got a kick out of everyone ignoring the hullcleaning guy and posting what they added to their bottom paint and the hullcleaning guy losing his sh* t over it.

The irony of the guy who cleans dirty hulls arguing that bottom paints are effective was too much for me.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 20:52   #62
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
The irony of the guy who cleans dirty hulls arguing that bottom paints are effective was too much for me.
You display your ignorance of the subject by inferring that unless an anti fouling paint allows zero growth, it is ineffective. Spoken like somebody who has never done his boating where fouling is an actual issue.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 20:55   #63

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
You display your ignorance of the subject by inferring that unless and anti fouling paint allows zero growth, it is ineffective. Spoken like somebody who has never done his boating where fouling is an actual issue.
I'm going to bed. I'll verbally slice and dice you in the morning.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 21:01   #64
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
I'm going to bed. I'll verbally slice and dice you in the morning.
That's right. You got me real good. Now run away.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 23:53   #65

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
I just got a kick out of everyone ignoring the hullcleaning guy and posting what they added to their bottom paint and the hullcleaning guy losing his sh* t over it.

LOL, Amen! Hell, just add some Agent Orange, or Roundup to your bottom paint

And, yeah. The paint companies, like everyone else (Legislators, Faux-Scientists, etc.), are in this to make money.
So...
no fouling = no profits.
no lobbyists pushing for "change for the better" = no $ for paint compainies. R&D included.
no "environmental studies" showing the "correct" thing = less money for everyone in the industry.

Paint's just like with any other racket. How long until today's paint's are outlawed? As the PC, less toxic, paint's of 20yrs ago are now verboten in many of the locales in which, & for which they were developed.

Keep in mind that antifouling used to consist of sheets of copper tacked to hull bottoms. And that it's not overly tough to create fake news with which to manipulate people into all kinds of things. Protesting paint included. Politics is as old as life itself.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 00:43   #66

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:

+1 Amen

An easy solution to avoid reading foul (pun intended) is to just use the ignore function. Saves a lot of headache.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:51   #67

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
From the multinational, multi-billion dollar corporations that manufacture anti fouling paints and have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on R&D over many decades- "Why didn't we think of that?!!??"

IN the OP's defense I think we all have tried to spice the bottom paint before. guy's talk you hear things so why not try it?

I have tried the Cheyanne pepper and the copper dust and some off the shelf additives.

In the end I couldn't really tell any deference from the straight paint and so I agree with fstbttm the manufactures have already tried it. Now I read the reviews on what paint works in my cruising grounds and stick to that.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:07   #68

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

It is absurd to expect any anti-fouling paint to be perfect and long lasting. What we get is pretty good, but with limitations due to EPA concerns, and reasonably long lasting. Paints will also vary in effectiveness in different locations so local knowledge is critical in selecting a paint.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:17   #69

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
fastbottoms,

If the multi billion dollar corporations are doing such a good job why are you cleaning boat bottoms?
The multi billion dollar corporations have to deal with government regulations and environmental concerns. We don't really want to kill every living thing within 30' of our hulls, do we?

Again, consider that there are several paint companies competing for our business so if there was a better, legal and responsible way, at least one of them would be using it.
Old 09-01-2017, 13:31   #70

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It may be time to close down what is beginning to be a sh@#t slinging contest.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:33   #71

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

I remember back in the good old days we had an off the shelf bottom paint nothing grew on, don't recall the name. Matter of fact it kept the growth off the pilings in our slip here in the Gulf South. The oil rigs used it and it really worked!

but, the barnacle huggers didn't like it and it was outlawed.

Probably a good thing, I also remember it made you itch if you swam around it!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:49   #72

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
I remember back in the good old days we had an off the shelf bottom paint nothing grew on, don't recall the name. Matter of fact it kept the growth off the pilings in our slip here in the Gulf South. The oil rigs used it and it really worked!

but, the barnacle huggers didn't like it and it was outlawed.

Probably a good thing, I also remember it made you itch if you swam around it!
I don't know? I can recall a friend and I having a paint fight while doing my Pop's boat bottom, circa 1950 something. We both survived. The old man wasn't happy. I don't recall an itch. It was probably illegal paint today.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:51   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Those "douchebags" would include the majority of private boat owners in the Caribbean as well as every single commercial boat in the world including those in the USA.
Just in case you're interested in some facts :

The relevant treaty has been signed by 74 countries, representing 94% of the world's shipping tonnage. The treaty bans the manufacture and application of the paints, to boats and ships of all sizes. It also bans ships using the paint from entering the waters of the ratifying countries.

A few areas with poor regulation haven't banned the paints yet, including the Caribbean. However, it is still illegal to enter the waters of any of the ratifying countries - including the US and Europe. So if you put the paint on in the Caribbean, better stay right there : it's illegal to go most other places, and the penalties are steep.
Old 09-01-2017, 13:57   #74

Boat: 1978 trident warrior 35

Who was talking in another thread about a spray on liner like a bedliner that nothing would stick to? What was the name of that stuff, i will buy some and test it on my warrior
warrior35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:57   #75

Boat: 1978 trident warrior 35

I'm about ready for hull coating this spring
warrior35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint