Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2012, 14:44   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Anti-Sieze and Loc Tite

I have found myself in situations where I would like to put anti-seize and a SS bolt and screw it in to a tapped aluminum thread. My gooseneck comes to mind. I have used a standard anti-seize product and it causes the bolt to become slippery and release. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a product that is both anit-seize and loctite. I have also used Tef Gel. When I can get good torque they seem to work fine but when combining SS and Alum I am afraid to torque too tight. Can anyone offer solutions. I am looking a ta product called Dura Lac and then topping that with loctite.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 15:11   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Anti-Sieze and Loc Tite

Sounds like what you are looking for is really a separation barrier between dissimilar metals. For that, tef-gel, duralac and loctite will work just fine. I have never had a problem with tef-gel and bolts working loose, but I almost always use a lock washer on those. You can use loctite and get both a solid bond and galvanic isolation.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 15:13   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have found myself in situations where I would like to put anti-seize and a SS bolt and screw it in to a tapped aluminum thread. My gooseneck comes to mind. I have used a standard anti-seize product and it causes the bolt to become slippery and release. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a product that is both anit-seize and loctite. I have also used Tef Gel. When I can get good torque they seem to work fine but when combining SS and Alum I am afraid to torque too tight. Can anyone offer solutions. I am looking a ta product called Dura Lac and then topping that with loctite.
I use Duralac, I havent noticed anything releasing, it dries quite hard.

Dave
Old 30-01-2012, 15:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Sounds like what you are looking for is really a separation barrier between dissimilar metals. For that, tef-gel, duralac and loctite will work just fine. I have never had a problem with tef-gel and bolts working loose, but I almost always use a lock washer on those. You can use loctite and get both a solid bond and galvanic isolation.

Mark
Yes but you have a Catamaran and they are not allowed to cause bounce or have vibrations

GBN Dura Lac is difficult to find in the US. I have located it from Fisheries Supplies in Seattle. Pricey though at $40 + shipping for a 115ml tube

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 30-01-2012, 17:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Yes but you have a Catamaran and they are not allowed to cause bounce or have vibrations

GBN Dura Lac is difficult to find in the US. I have located it from Fisheries Supplies in Seattle. Pricey though at $40 + shipping for a 115ml tube
WHAT???? Where have you been??? We over-hulled people flip daily when we aren't gliding along at 35kts sipping champagne.

Get over the price of duralac and tefgel because you use so little of it and it makes such a difference. I use tefgel a lot (mostly because Dave uses duralac ) and that little tube of it has been with me for several years. That $40 duralac will amortize to a couple of bucks year and save thousands of bucks of gear.

But like I said, I have been using loctite more and more. I even found some in solid form in a chapstick-like tube and that has become a favorite of mine lately.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 30-01-2012, 17:38   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I've been using 3M - 4200, which works for me. Little to no electrolysis, the bolt doesn't back out and it's EZ to get out when you want. All my thru deck fasteners, the threads/nuts are coated with 4200. And make a good anti-seize for SS It's like teflon tape.
Old 30-01-2012, 18:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I've been using 3M - 4200, which works for me. Little to no electrolysis, the bolt doesn't back out and it's EZ to get out when you want. All my thru deck fasteners, the threads/nuts are coated with 4200. And make a good anti-seize for SS It's like teflon tape.
The downside is that once opened, the tube sets hard quickly, so unless you are using 4200 a lot (and constantly?), throwing away 90% of it gets expensive.

Mark

Old 30-01-2012, 18:39   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Try DuraLac.

Try Riveting.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 18:40   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
I even found some in solid form in a chapstick-like tube and that has become a favorite of mine lately.
Ouch! With my luck, I'd use the loc-tite on my lips.

(+1 on riveting. Sometimes it's easier to drill out a rivet than have to deal with loc-tite bolts.)
Old 30-01-2012, 18:41   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

When I was a teenager I hung out in an outboard repair shop. It was always a problem taking stainless bolts out of aluminum motors. The mechanic taught me to coat the threads with Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No3 when we re-assembled a motor. If the motor came back for more service it was always easy to take apart yet the bolts didn't vibrate out during use. Delmarrey's use of 4200 probably works for the same reason. It prevents corrosion but also sticks and prevents backing out.
Old 30-01-2012, 18:57   #11

Quote:
WHAT???? Where have you been??? We over-hulled people flip daily when we aren't gliding along at 35kts sipping champagne.

Get over the price of duralac and tefgel because you use so little of it and it makes such a difference. I use tefgel a lot (mostly because Dave uses duralac ) and that little tube of it has been with me for several years. That $40 duralac will amortize to a couple of bucks year and save thousands of bucks of gear.

But like I said, I have been using loctite more and more. I even found some in solid form in a chapstick-like tube and that has become a favorite of mine lately.

Mark
I was wondering if loctite itself would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
4200 sounds like a good plan when there are lots of bolts to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Try DuraLac.

Try Riveting.

b.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Ouch! With my luck, I'd use the loc-tite on my lips.

(+1 on riveting. Sometimes it's easier to drill out a rivet than have to deal with loc-tite bolts.)
Bash and Barnakiel riveting is fine for smaller items but anythign over 1/4" is tricky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
When I was a teenager I hung out in an outboard repair shop. It was always a problem taking stainless bolts out of aluminum motors. The mechanic taught me to coat the threads with Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No3 when we re-assembled a motor. If the motor came back for more service it was always easy to take apart yet the bolts didn't vibrate out during use. Delmarrey's use of 4200 probably works for the same reason. It prevents corrosion but also sticks and prevents backing out.
HopCar thanks for the idea. I think that Permatex product is great. And now I have a new use for it.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-01-2012, 19:09   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I took some SS screws out of the aluminum bits on my Harken roller furler after 15 years and they came out easily with no hint of corrosion, because they were put together with the Harken-recommended loctite red. Interestingly, they now ship their furlers with 3M 5200...
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 21:07   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Charlie,

We've had a long term problem with the screws that attach the gooseneck to both boom and mast working out. We tried Duralac (much used here in Oz), we tried a rainbow of different Loc tites, but the damn things kept backing out.

Finally got pissed off enough and bought some socket head screws of the appropriate size, drilled them and used safety wire al la aircraft practice, with a dollop of anti seize to keep them from corroding in place. Voila -- problem solved!

But the Permatex idea is cool, too.

Cheers,

Jim