Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 13:16   #1

Anti-Fouling - Can I Colour / Tint it ?

Good evening,

I use International Micron Extra on my boat. Here where I live in the middle of nowhere there is very limited choice available for things like anti-fouling paint. Anyway, Micron Extra works for me.

But, my question is, can I colour tint the paint to get the exact colour shade red that I want?

I have a builders merchant supply business and we have a paint tinting machine. So there is no real cost problem and I can experiment a bit with the colouring. But will I seriously affect the quality of the anti-fouling's effectiveness by tinting the paint a bit?

Some time ago I was in my opposition's store and they had just done it for a customer. The shop attendant said it was'nt a problem to tint the paint,but he knows squat naught about boats and the anti-fouling side of the paint.

Thanks in advance,

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 13:47   #2

Boat: Custom
No. A bloke at the yacht club did it with a different brand. 5 months later had to replace it. The rep knew straight away it had been tinted and voided the warranty. If it is a deal breaker ring the micron customer service line they are always good when I have called

James
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 05:40   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Double No! The chemistry of anti-foulant paints is a delicate balance and adding anything to the paints alters that chemistry and may result in near to total failure of the active ingredients in the paint to be able to do their job.
- - Besides which when the boat is in the water nobody but the fish get to see the color of the bottom paint and they really don't care what color the stuff is.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 06:24   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Not to mention that all bottom paints change color when put in the water (even black), so any color you think you have perfect on land will not be the color you end up with after a bit in the water.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 07:10   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Why not ask the manufacturer?
yachtpaint.com - the website of International and Interlux paints

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 11:42   #6

Thanks a stack

Thanks for that.

I promise I will not do it!

I was hoping to make the red antifoul a bit brighter. I sail a trimaran (Farrier F9) and wanted something bright for in case I end up swimming. So that the albatrosses can see it easily.

I will now rather paint orange underneath the cross beams. I was hoping to avoid having to do that.

Regards,

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling