Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 18:46   #106

Re: Anti foul, bottom paint, soft, medium or hard?

It's been a real slog getting through this thread, and I've been hoping to find the answer to my problem, without starting a new thread- but no luck.

I am in Canada, fresh water. My boat had been in the water since I bought her, summers and winters. I pulled her out this winter. I'm putting her back in in a few weeks, extremely cold temperatures have prevented me from maintenance activities.

I know nothing about the paint that is on her, but I suspect its standard bottom paint used by cruisers in the region. I know 2 things- it's light blue and chocky. I want to put something on the bottom this year because she's out, but I'll be pulling her out again next December- so its experimental. I don't want to spend a lot of money. What cheap, easy non descriptive average performance paint do I throw on the bottom so I can cruise slowly and observe results so I can make a better informed decision next year?

It's unlikely I'll put 1000 miles on her before her next haul out, or maybe close to 1000 miles.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 21:09   #107

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Anti foul, bottom paint, soft, medium or hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
It's been a real slog getting through this thread, and I've been hoping to find the answer to my problem, without starting a new thread- but no luck.

I am in Canada, fresh water. My boat had been in the water since I bought her, summers and winters. I pulled her out this winter. I'm putting her back in in a few weeks, extremely cold temperatures have prevented me from maintenance activities.

I know nothing about the paint that is on her, but I suspect its standard bottom paint used by cruisers in the region. I know 2 things- it's light blue and chocky. I want to put something on the bottom this year because she's out, but I'll be pulling her out again next December- so its experimental. I don't want to spend a lot of money. What cheap, easy non descriptive average performance paint do I throw on the bottom so I can cruise slowly and observe results so I can make a better informed decision next year?

It's unlikely I'll put 1000 miles on her before her next haul out, or maybe close to 1000 miles.

Skip the paint then, if you hire a diver you'll save the cost of the paint and the Hassle to apply it.
Repaint properly at your next haul, or wet suit and do er yourself.
That's what I do, 7mm wet suit and a BBQ scraper,fins and mask, 32 ft. Takes 2 hrs maybe.
A diver would do a quick cleanup for $100 or less any day.

Self burnishing paints are pretty maintenance free, but take more time to apply and are more expensive.
That's what you pay for, cost, for less haulouts.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 18:01   #108

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Shrewin Williams Bought the company the Paint company that supplys the US navy, Making them a instant bottom paint supplier.
I know a a x Navy guy that there boat yards get the best paint the government can buy And that black SUBMARINE Paint is a guarded secrete !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 18:09   #109
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

The Navy uses the same off-the-shelf ABC products that are available to you and me. The ABC product line is owned by PPG Marine, not Sherwin Williams. And "submarine paint"? That's the oldest wives tale in the book.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote