Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-06-2013, 15:20   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Anti foul, bottom paint, soft, medium or hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
No TBT paints in the Bahamas? When did that start?
When The Bahamas signed the Inernational Maritime Organization ban on TbT, which was in 2008, if I am not mistaken.

Old 19-06-2013, 15:25   #32
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From the International Paints web site

Don’t:
• Enter Antigua, Barbuda, Bahamas, Saint Kitts & Nevis with TBT paint on your boat. This is illegal.
• Enter European waters such as the Mediterranean. It’s illegal. The ban has been adopted by the European Union.
• Don’t have TBT-based antifouling applied in the geographical areas noted above. It’s illegal.
• Forget to carry paperwork onboard to show compliance*.
• Try and transport your boat using International Boat Shipping services without confirming and declaring antifouling compliance for the destination port. Port Authority Control can decline entry and/or issue significant fines for breach of Treaty!
• Let other paint companies tell you TBT-containing paint is the right choice. With today’s technology, it is not.

Old 19-06-2013, 15:36   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

That is what you found on the web. Been to any boatyards in the region lately?
Old 19-06-2013, 15:47   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

But, since we are on the topics of things the other has no direct experience with...

I suppose (but don't know) that you have clients who's boats were painted in Mexico right?

I suppose (there is that word again) that the Mexican authorities NEVER allow ANYTHING but the most politically correct paint to be used, right?

Do you require your customers to prove to you their boats are painted with non-TBT paint before you scrub it and release it into the Bay?
Old 19-06-2013, 15:47   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
That is what you found on the web. Been to any boatyards in the region lately?
No, but at least I posted something other than my opinion to back up my position.
Old 19-06-2013, 15:50   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But, since we are on the topics of things the other has no direct experience with...

I suppose (but don't know) that you have clients who's boats were painted in Mexico right?

I suppose (there is that word again) that the Mexican authorities NEVER allow ANYTHING but the most politically correct paint to be used, right?

Do you require your customers to prove to you their boats are painted with non-TBT paint before you scrub it and release it into the Bay?
If I was aware that I was being asked to clean a boat with a TbT paint on it, not only would I refuse the job but I would report the owner to the authorities.

Just because you can still obtain TbT anti fouling paints doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It's not.
Old 19-06-2013, 15:53   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I have been cruising for the last 6months in the Caribbean. I visited several boat yards getting estimates on getting a boat painted.

There was only one who did not offer bottom paint with TBT. Most sell and Sea Hawk... With TBT.
Old 19-06-2013, 16:15   #38
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

So you go to a boatyard in some third world country and tell them put on the best stuff they have, not knowing the chemical makeup of the paint, nor do they because the don't read english then you sail home to SF Bay and somebody rats you out to the cops? I guess you should question everyone including the guy who cleans your bottom or hire a legal expert before you do anything. Then to top it off the stuff is made in the US to begin with!
Old 19-06-2013, 16:26   #39
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law. "But officer, I didn't know the gun was loaded when I pointed it at that man and pulled the trigger!"
Old 19-06-2013, 16:32   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Question Re: Anti foul, bottom paint, soft, medium or hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law. "But officer, I didn't know the gun was loaded when I pointed it at that man and pulled the trigger!"
Which is why I asked you about the boats you clean.... So are you going to start testing them? Asking for the proof of compliance that you mentioned in your earlier post?

.... Or is that just for the rest of us to follow?
Old 19-06-2013, 16:41   #41
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I ask every new customer I encounter what kind of paint he or she is using. Not because I'm looking for illegal paints, but because I want know what to expect when I get into the water and how best to maintain that customer's paint. I have never been told that a customer was using TbT. But if I was...

BTW- I don't really believe anybody reading this would actually let some third-world sh*thole boatyard slap just any anti fouling paint they wanted to on their boat, without asking what it was. Do you?
Old 19-06-2013, 16:50   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Folks, I'm sure you are all capable of getting on here in a polite and communicative manner, so please, do so. On the one hand, we have a guy who makes his living (and a tough living it is, by the way) working everyday wiping toxic chemicals off of boat bottoms, and having those materials come in contact with his skin. On the other side of the hull is a guy who worries more about the annual cost of keeping his boat in the water than the consequences to the environment he is floating in. One of these guys is constantly being grilled by port authorities about dislodging toxic chemicals and still trying to do the right thing for his customers. The other is evidently oblivious that a problem exists or simply doesn't care that these chemicals are working their way into the food chain that others may be consuming. For that person, who doesn't care that marine life is showing ever increasing amounts of mercury, tin and other toxic organic and inorganic compounds, all of this hubbub is merely irritating his world view that revolves around his own ego. There is nothing that can be done to improve the sensibility of one who simply doesn't care. He will even go so far as to find sources of TBTO and other nasty items, simply to brag that he has the cleanest bottom on the dock. All fstbttms, and other more thoughtful, considerate, well meaning folks can do is make this a better place for all of us, including the person who knowingly destroys this shared environment because he can, and he can make a buck at it in so doing. You who choose to think that toxic chemicals aren't affecting the life of the ocean, and those of those living above it, will probably never have your world view shaken by facts. Hopefully, some greater number get the message and make changes in their lifestyle choices and international maritime law. Sadly, it's the boatworkers, the divers and fishhandlers who will be the first to show the devastating signs of the poisoning, besides the denizens who spend full time in that environment we all share. The person who knowingly elects to use the most toxic bottom paints available will probably never suffer, except for their family members who may be ingesting seafood that has become contaminated, or birth defects from unknown sources, or any of the varied consequences we already know results from toxic industrial products being dumped in our oceans. But, hey, that's someone else's concern, isn't it?
Old 19-06-2013, 16:50   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
BTW- I don't really believe anybody reading this would actually let some third-world sh*thole boatyard slap just any anti fouling paint they wanted to on their boat, without asking what it was. Do you?
No, not likely. Instead, I think folks travel to places where they can have their boats painted inexpensively, with bottom paints that have long been proven to be effective.

TBT boat paint is actually slightly more expensive... People pay for it because it works.
Old 19-06-2013, 16:57   #44
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No, not likely. Instead, I think folks travel to places where they can have their boats painted inexpensively, with bottom paints that have long been proven to be effective.

TBT boat paint is actually slightly more expensive... People pay for it because it works.
Again, as Roy M points out, you seem not to care that the products whose use you are advocating are illegal in most places and extremely harmful to the environment in all places.
Old 19-06-2013, 16:59   #45
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Where is this stuff made?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: