Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2019, 21:29   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
anodize or powdercoat hatch?

looking at a hard to find vent hatch for my boat on ebay. it looks to be in sound shape except the exterior finish is a mess. its selling at a great price due to its condition that would make it worth refinishing.

its solid aluminum so i was thinking sandblasting then either anodize or powdercoat but im not sure which holds up better in the marine environment long term. also is one cost prohibitive over the other?

the hatch is selling for $68. Its $700 new and id be willing to spend an additional $200 or so having it re-finished.

i considered just spray painting but my spray painting results of previous items are beyond sad.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 22:57   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: anodize or powdercoat hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
looking at a hard to find vent hatch for my boat on ebay. it looks to be in sound shape except the exterior finish is a mess. its selling at a great price due to its condition that would make it worth refinishing.

its solid aluminum so i was thinking sandblasting then either anodize or powdercoat but im not sure which holds up better in the marine environment long term. also is one cost prohibitive over the other?

the hatch is selling for $68. Its $700 new and id be willing to spend an additional $200 or so having it re-finished.

i considered just spray painting but my spray painting results of previous items are beyond sad.
Hi, if it's a long term boat anodize, if not then powdercoat.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 08:19   #3
er9
cruiser

well wouldn't you guess right after i read your reply i hopped on over to ebay and to my sad shock someone bought the hatch.....however.....there was a nicer hatch the same size that was anodized all for $150

sometimes you just get lucky
Old 26-05-2019, 11:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
anodize or powdercoat hatch?

By all means anodize, even if you powder coat over it.
The powder coat doesn’t fail, it’s that the aluminum under it corrodes, that bubbles up and the powder coat falls off.
Anodizing it keeps it from corroding.
Last boat I welded up a Radar mount and had it anodized and then powder coated, it lasted fine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 17:49   #5
er9
cruiser

good to know...thanks
Old 26-05-2019, 20:45   #6

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

There is also a product called Nyalic for future reference. Ideal coating for bare aluminium.
Old 27-05-2019, 05:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

As a64pilot notes, you can powder coat over anodized aluminum.

However, some anodized surfaces do not work well with powder, because they have inorganic dyes or other issues that make the surface incompatible with powder*.
In most cases for new anodized aluminum, a light sanding of the surface and acetone wipe will suffice.
However, older anodized aluminum will most likely need abrasive blasting. You can then powder coat to color, put in the oven for curing, then put in service.

* I’ve read the suggestion to perform routine wet adhesion testing, as described in AAMA 2604 (8.4.1.3) and 2605 for anodized surfaces.
The surface is cross-hatched and subjected to boiling demineralized water for 20 minutes. After removal, a tape pull test can be used to confirm adhesion.
If this test is successful, the part should be good.
If it consistently fails, the anodizing process is not compatible with powder. If it fails periodically, the anodizing process needs more precise control, or the coater needs a better pretreatment process.

“How to Decide Between Anodizing, Painting, and Powder Coating”
Choosing the right coating for your Aluminum ➥ https://www.saf.com/how-to-specify/h...owder-coating/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:30   #8
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
There is also a product called Nyalic for future reference. Ideal coating for bare aluminium.
that looks like interesting stuff. ordering a can of it to play with. i need to read more about it but i wonder if it might be good for protecting some electrical connections like a negative conection to a cast iron engine?
Old 27-05-2019, 09:34   #9
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
As a64pilot notes, you can powder coat over anodized aluminum.

However, some anodized surfaces do not work well with powder, because they have inorganic dyes or other issues that make the surface incompatible with powder*.
In most cases for new anodized aluminum, a light sanding of the surface and acetone wipe will suffice.
However, older anodized aluminum will most likely need abrasive blasting. You can then powder coat to color, put in the oven for curing, then put in service.

* I’ve read the suggestion to perform routine wet adhesion testing, as described in AAMA 2604 (8.4.1.3) and 2605 for anodized surfaces.
The surface is cross-hatched and subjected to boiling demineralized water for 20 minutes. After removal, a tape pull test can be used to confirm adhesion.
If this test is successful, the part should be good.
If it consistently fails, the anodizing process is not compatible with powder. If it fails periodically, the anodizing process needs more precise control, or the coater needs a better pretreatment process.

“How to Decide Between Anodizing, Painting, and Powder Coating”
Choosing the right coating for your Aluminum ➥ https://www.saf.com/how-to-specify/h...owder-coating/
wow good stuff. this summer i want to take off old hatches and have them re-finished. i will definately have them sandblasted first. its not that expensive to do.

Tags
hatch