Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 16:34   #1

Boat: Manta 42
Anitfouling Bottom Paint - Your Recommendations

Doing our first haul out and bottom recoat. From the survey and our own inspection, the bottom is in good shape and the previous antifouling appears very good. We don't anticipate removing any of the existing coating. We're planning on a light sanding after the pressure wash.

Looking at various manufacturers and comparing. Interlux Micron 66 looks good, but we're wondering what others' experiences have been on the products they've used and your recommendations.

S/V Galileo
Pamlico River, NC
perkie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 17:13   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Re: Anitfouling Bottom Paint - Your Recommendations

I just did mine with Blue Water Copper Shield. tested superior to many and the price is very good. www.bluewatermarinepaint.com
Old 25-09-2011, 17:47   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I like Trinidad SR.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 18:02   #4

You might check with the local boat yards for their recommendations as every part of US has different water conditions and effective bottom paints will differ. Micron 66 is very good bottom paint for central Fl. We have used SeaHawk Islands 44 for a few years with superb results but it has to be purchased outside of the US. You can get it in the Bahamas.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 21:10   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Do you know what type of paint is on the boat now? Some paints are not compatable with others. You will also have to decide if you want to use a hard paint or an ablative paint. The hard paints, like Trinadad build up and need to be removed eventually. The ablatives, like Micron 66, disolve over time like a bar of soap. When you start to see gelcoat, it's time to repaint. If you're going to have a diver wipe your bottom often, the hard paint will hold up better. With either Micron 66 or Trinadad SR, you shouldn't need a diver for at least a year, maybe to clean the running gear. What ever paint you use, buy one with a slime killer in it. Pettit Paints will have SR (slime resistant) in their name and Interlux Paints will say with Biolux. These are the chemicals that replaced Tri Butyl Tin when it was banned. For your prop and shaft I recomend Prop Speed. It's the only thing I've found that will stay effective for any length of time. Pettit makes a zinc based prop coating that I've read good things about but I've never tried it.
Old 25-09-2011, 23:13   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Sea Hawk Islands 44 is tin-based, and is banned in most parts of the world. The Micron 66 is good stuff, better than Micron Extra, but quite expensive. My current bottom is WMP CPP+, which has performed at least as well as the Micron Extra at half the cost.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 03:40   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Sea Hawk Islands 44 is tin-based, and is banned in most parts of the world. The Micron 66 is good stuff, better than Micron Extra, but quite expensive. My current bottom is WMP CPP+, which has performed at least as well as the Micron Extra at half the cost.

Just goes to show that the boating area makes a difference. I've used the WM CCP+ and it sucked!
Old 26-09-2011, 10:12   #8

Boat: Manta 42

Our boatyard (Jarrett Bay, North Carolina) is recommending Micron CSC and Sea Hawk Cukote.

I don't know the existing paint on the hull, so will wait to find out when she's lifted out of the water.

Comments, thoughts, recommendations are very welcomed.

S/V Galileo
Pamilco River, NC
perkie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 10:49   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I tried the Cukote the last time, the results weren't that good--had barnacles growing in less than 4 months. The CPP+ has been on for about 12 months, in waters from NC to Panama to Hawaii to Calif, and it looks like the biocide is not as effective as it was, because there is now a bit of grassy stuff around the waterline, but no hard growth. I'm not sure how much paint ablates off in 10,000 miles.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 14:02   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I tried the Cukote the last time, the results weren't that good--had barnacles growing in less than 4 months. The CPP+ has been on for about 12 months, in waters from NC to Panama to Hawaii to Calif, and it looks like the biocide is not as effective as it was, because there is now a bit of grassy stuff around the waterline, but no hard growth. I'm not sure how much paint ablates off in 10,000 miles.
Maybe because you are on the move?

My Cukote seems OK except sitting for 10 days on a ball in Boot Key Harbor. Millions of tiny hard things. At least they rubbed off with relative ease.

What is this CPP+?
Old 26-09-2011, 14:50   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Perkie43, Neither of the paints recommended by your yard contain a slime preventer. The slime preventer will really extend the life of the paint. Both of the recommended paints have a big brother that does have a slime preventer. It is worth the extra money. If you go with Sea Hawk get Cukote Biocide Plus. If you go with Interlux, get the Micron Extra with Biolux.
Old 26-09-2011, 15:51   #12

Boat: None. As for a name, let's just say "Wishful Thinking"...

has anyone heard or tried the technique/magic-trick/myth of mixing cayenne pepper to your bottom paint to extend the duration of detering bottom critters?
heyniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 17:26   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyniceguy View Post
has anyone heard or tried the technique/magic-trick/myth of mixing cayenne pepper to your bottom paint to extend the duration of detering bottom critters?

Ever heard of Hotbottom? It didn't make it in the market for a reason. Antifouling properties are good, but applying it sucks. Every little bit of roller spatter you get on your skin burns like fire. It's like painting a bottom with pepperspray. And God forbid you ever have to sand it off...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:46   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
With either Micron 66 or Trinadad SR, you shouldn't need a diver for at least a year...
Absolutely 100% untrue. Very surprising, coming from a Floridian. Here's some proof:

Cal 39- 3-month old Trindad bottom, taken this summer

Beneteau First 10r with a 2-month old Micron 66 bottom, taken winter 2010

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyniceguy View Post
This old salt's tale is just like 99% of all the other bullsh*t you hear on the docks- it doesn't work.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint