Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 15:37   #46

Boat: Mumby 48
Re: Angle-grinder on boat: What's worked for you?

What a thread. I have leant lots here... power supplies, torque, convenience etc. Just goes to show how individual we are - tools fit for purpose. I was looking for a variable speed general purpose lightweight angle grinder to use now and again for gel coat polishing where bigger buffers can't reach/too dangerous - thought this would do the trick.. alas there can't be much of a market as the big retailers just don't carry this gear. Anyone help here? I'd be wary of advice from those who have had failures with just one machine - carries no weight. Have to agree with Harmer? who credits Ozito - simple basic Chinese gear - I had one 12v machine find its way into salt water. Within 15 mins it was rinsed, dry and humming away - only had 3 parts inside! Follow Nigel Calder's advice for boats: keep it simple.
allatsea99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 17:24   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Interesting thread
We ship a small DeWalt compressor and have an array of air tools
Lighter, cheaper, easier to maintain

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 20:49   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by allatsea99 View Post
What a thread. I have leant lots here... power supplies, torque, convenience etc. Just goes to show how individual we are - tools fit for purpose. I was looking for a variable speed general purpose lightweight angle grinder to use now and again for gel coat polishing where bigger buffers can't reach/too dangerous - thought this would do the trick.. alas there can't be much of a market as the big retailers just don't carry this gear. Anyone help here? I'd be wary of advice from those who have had failures with just one machine - carries no weight. Have to agree with Harmer? who credits Ozito - simple basic Chinese gear - I had one 12v machine find its way into salt water. Within 15 mins it was rinsed, dry and humming away - only had 3 parts inside! Follow Nigel Calder's advice for boats: keep it simple.

This thing is awesome, immediately indispensable for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2438.../dp/B00LESTLOS

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 04:57   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Interesting thread
We ship a small DeWalt compressor and have an array of air tools
Lighter, cheaper, easier to maintain

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
What small Dewalt compressor supplies enough CFM to run something like an air grinder?
My jobsite compressor won't come near continious duty with most air tools like grinders, sprayers. Works great with nailers, ratchets etc. I can't imagine lugging that 125lb thing on board.
My huge upright 2 stage at home will run anything. Taller than I am and runs on 220V
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 06:27   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
What small Dewalt compressor supplies enough CFM to run something like an air grinder?
My jobsite compressor won't come near continious duty with most air tools like grinders, sprayers. Works great with nailers, ratchets etc. I can't imagine lugging that 125lb thing on board.
My huge upright 2 stage at home will run anything. Taller than I am and runs on 220V
+1

I ran a bodyshop for some years, big 3 phase compressor running DA sanders & spray guns almost constantly.
Finally realised it was cheaper just to use electric DA sanders rather than wearing out the air tools and the compressor that cost thousands.
A 15 CFM compressor (about max on UK 13A plug) runs almost continuously driving just one DA or a small-tip spraygun.
Anything smaller than 15CFM you'll be doing an awful lot of waiting...
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 10:44   #51

Boat: a sailing boat

We have a no name (Stiehl?) one and it is as good as it is inexpensive. I prefer Makita tools overall.

I only found the grinder useful when cleaning our cast iron keel. All other jobs get done by our ages old no name drill machine plus relevant disks, pads and brushes.

BTW Two years ago we got a lithium powered handheld Bosch drill machine. This piece of kit is fabulous, the charge lasts well, the power is huge and I can work cable-less which are all very fine points. If you think you may need one, get one.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 06:24   #52

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39

Okay. I am going out on a limb here. I know that most love their corded power tools.
However, I am firmly in the camp of boaties who believe that on a boat, anything that can be purchased cordless is the most practical.
Obviously it depends on how much and how heavy the work you are doing. I am on my live aboard 39ft fiberglass yacht that I am refitting and refurbishing myself. I use a Ryobi cordless grinder, Ryobi cordless circular saw, Ryobi cordless jigsaw, Matika cordless drill and a Ryobi cordless vacuum LOL My orbital sander and edging sander are both corded, and run them of the Yamaha 2400 gen. I do also have a small and large corded Matika grinder, however they live in storage I find for most any jobs on my yacht that cordless power appliances are perfectly ideal and practical. The expense for cordless Ryobi appliances initially comes in purchasing one battery with the charger, buy the bigger battery. But once you have these all the appliances are relatively cheap and good quality, and you can run all your Ryobi power tools.

The only thing I do not use is a multi cutting blade on a grinder. These blades are an absolute danger. Have been known to flick back into the operator, I almost completely lost my finger on one. Working in very confined and awkward spaces on boats is fraught with danger. Multi blades should be avoided at all costs.
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 21:35   #53

Boat: Compass Easterley 30 (Claude Smith design)

I have been building up a kit of Ryobi 18 volt tools... 13mm drill, multi-tool, 115mm angle grinder, reciprocating saw, orbital sander. They all use the same lithium-ion battery. I have got a few extra batteries from 1.4mah to 4mah. The tools have so far proven reliable and being battery powered are super handy.
topcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:19   #54

I've seen ads on TV for a range of tools whose "selling point" is that batteries are interchangeable throughout the range - so you only need one battery and one charger for however many tools they stuff up you.

Buy into that nonsense and you're stuck with them so it is a brilliant wheeze in marketing terms.

Thing is, batteries and chargers can fail so spares are essential unless you're just a tool collector.

A charger & battery for each tool would presumably make them an expensive choice. Haven't even looked at their prices - I don't buy from companies that treat customers as idiots.

In short - it's a great way of SELLING tools.

edit: On reflection it could be a sensible choice if you have a newer boat, pay professionals to do the bigger jobs & your tools are just for the smaller jobs.
Didn't mean to offend anyone
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57   #55

Love my Makita 18V tools. Angle grinder, drill, vacuum, sawsall, circular saw, jig saw, orbital sander, multi tool...... They're all great, very powerful. I have found if I need new batteries, it's more cost effective to buy a new tool, with a charger and batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:29   #56

Ya for a homeowner or occasional user they are great, as a contractor the only one I bother with are the drills. Everything else has a cord, run all day at full power, nothing like a battery crappin out just as you get everything lined up and ready to go 100' in the air!
Unfortunately the new batteries deliver good voltage until the end, tool works, all of a sudden tool doesn't work with no warning. The old NiCad days the tools would get slower and lose power so you knew it was on the way out.
Old 01-03-2016, 15:13   #57

Boat: No boat, looking again.

When I asked my original question about angle-grinders, I had not given much thought to battery ones. I find it interesting how some folks have found the battery option suits their situation.

Go into almost any tool shop now-a-days and what do you see? Big displays of battery tools, small displays of corded tools. With a neighbour who willingly lends me his professional battery tools (but I don't take out onto my boat!), I recognise they do provide some advantages.

I am tempted when I see some of those heavily discounted pro quality battery sets with an assortment of tools. If I got a kit including angle grinder, and several solid batteries to run them (and 12v charger) then I could see it would be useful.

On the other hand, practically all my tools for the boat work from my little generator. The generator is light weight, making it easy for me to carry to and fro the boat. Needs to be light so I can haul it out of the dinghy up on deck. Cords can get in the way compared to a battery system but when I do hours of sanding then I like the grunt of 240v and no flat battery (have to make sure the genny tank is filled before I take it out to the boat).

In the broader scheme of things to keep doing the boat work and maintenance, not just thinking about the angle grinder, I may have to choose between spending money on: A. Bigger generator, or B. Battery tool kit or C. Inverter big enough to run corded tools [recharge battery using current small generator plus current charger which can do 12v 25 amps.] Ah, with boats, there is always something to be thinking about spending money on.
Old 01-03-2016, 15:42   #58

Boat: Liberty 458

We have a dewalt cordless and corded. The cordless has limited life on a single battery. Great for small jobs.

The corded will run from our 2000W inverter no problem.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:59   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
+1

I ran a bodyshop for some years, big 3 phase compressor running DA sanders & spray guns almost constantly.
Finally realised it was cheaper just to use electric DA sanders rather than wearing out the air tools and the compressor that cost thousands.
A 15 CFM compressor (about max on UK 13A plug) runs almost continuously driving just one DA or a small-tip spraygun.
Anything smaller than 15CFM you'll be doing an awful lot of waiting...
The compressor we have onboard, a DeWalt D55151, handles the small DA (3" CP model), die grinder, and other small tools fine. It would never handle a big sander, let alone a sprayer. I put it on when we were doing a LOT of air conditioner maintenance (they're great for adding turbulence to a water hose to blow out caulked in mud in a condenser). I wouldn't want to drag a big on aboard. I do have a friend who has a two cyl model bolted onto his main engine and two custom air tanks (about 100g total) but he is a bit nuts!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:00   #60

You must be thrashing that poor little thing! Only delivers 3.2 cfm, my jobsite one is 3.7cfm with twice the tank capacity. Probably fine for occasional home owner style usage, wouldn't want to tackle anything serious with either! Mine is pretty much for nailers and staplers or blowing dust off the labourers before they are allowed in the truck.