Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 17:52   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Re: And So It Begins... Knottybuoyz' New Project

Good to see you getting the building underway Rick.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 18:36   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Good luck Rick. I'm sure you will have a beautiful boat at the end and a lot of pride in what you will have accomplished. I look forward to following your progress as I have followed your planning stages. Wonderful to see the construction begin.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 19:35   #33

Mods - terrabyte disk drives are down around $70. Might need one for this thread
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 20:18   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

LOL

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35   #35
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Thnx everybody. I appreciate the support and feedback as I go along is certainly welcome. Right now I'll try to keep posting unless it becomes too much. If that happens I still have my web log.

Right now this thing is a huge puzzle. I'm guessing there's 150 parts to get stuck together. These parts are the MDF cut outs that'll be used to construct the "strong back" frame the boat is built on.

The strongback will look something like this (I hope) when it's ready.

The whole thing seems a little daunting at the start. I'm tripping over parts and they're stacked up everywhere. It would have been nice to have more room but I'll manage.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:19   #36

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I wish I were Knottybouz' neighbor so I could hang around and lend a hand. I'd love to see this up close as it's being built. Couldn't possibly take on a project like this now financially. Would like to build my own hard dinghy though this summer.

Someone tell me the model of boat being built, please. So I can look for more images of it on the web. It's very nice looking, color scheme on the one pictured is perfect.

Best of luck with the project.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:21   #37

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Yep! Space or shelter has always been my biggest downfall. At least you have a little of both.

150 pieces? Hopefully you got an assembly sheet with the kit. Try numbering each part and put them in order so one doesn't get left out. Getting materials staged/organized has always been a good procedure for some of the large projects I've had to work with.

And as the staging goes, a list of items needed can be made to keep the project flowing. Nothing worse then getting held up by a hard to find (cheap) item, bringing everything to a halt. I've had a $60K ball valve held up for one measly hard to find screw(special material), which took two weeks to get in from Italy.

Enjoy the project! It'll be rewarding in the end.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:25   #38
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I wish I were Knottybouz' neighbor so I could hang around and lend a hand. I'd love to see this up close as it's being built. Couldn't possibly take on a project like this now financially. Would like to build my own hard dinghy though this summer.

Someone tell me the model of boat being built, please. So I can look for more images of it on the web. It's very nice looking, color scheme on the one pictured is perfect.

Best of luck with the project.
Thanks 4W. It's a Bateau.com TW28.

Boat plan details, Trawler 28 (TW28), Power Boats 26' to 35'

Plenty of photos on the designers bulletin board. Just do a search on TW28.

Bateau Photo Gallery - Search the file collection

I never thought we'd be able to afford to build our own boat either. It's taken quite a few years of careful planning and lots of bargain hunting but we'll do it!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:26   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

del has it right. Organization is the key to space management.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:34   #40
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yep! Space or shelter has always been my biggest downfall. At least you have a little of both.
I pretty much have to go outside to change my mind Del! It might get better as this thing gets built!

Quote:
150 pieces? Hopefully you got an assembly sheet with the kit. Try numbering each part and put them in order so one doesn't get left out. Getting materials staged/organized has always been a good procedure for some of the large projects I've had to work with.
Yeah yeah yeah, I got instructions. Who needs 'em eh? Each part is ID'd when I split them from the sheets. See attached nested drawing. Each part is marked. Just a lil' screw up with the bottom panels but I'll figure it out. I'm sure the logistics of the whole project will get better as these smaller pieces become bigger pieces. I think I know how I'm going to get it all staged to come together. Notice the operative word "think"?

Quote:
And as the staging goes, a list of items needed can be made to keep the project flowing. Nothing worse then getting held up by a hard to find (cheap) item, bringing everything to a halt. I've had a $60K ball valve held up for one measly hard to find screw(special material), which took two weeks to get in from Italy.
I think I'm pretty much at the bitter end of the el-cheapo boat parts acquisition phase. Everything from now on costs minimum dealer wholesale (got a friend who's a dealer and has offered me her cost). We're ready for that, I think. There's that "think" word again!

Quote:
Enjoy the project! It'll be rewarding in the end.
Thnx. Say "Hi" to Lena for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TW28_all_CNC.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	25951  
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43   #41

I think once you get the frames up it'll make a little more room for ya.
What's your plan for rolling it over to do the cabin/deck side?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56   #42
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think once you get the frames up it'll make a little more room for ya.
What's your plan for rolling it over to do the cabin/deck side?
There's that word again!

Rolling it over? Hmmmmm?

How's that Python Drive working out for you?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14   #43

I ended up going with a larger dia. prop shaft and I'm putting on a 3-blade feathering Max Prop. but still keeping the Python due to the motor movement.

Put in an over size stern tube as well in case I want to go to an even bigger shaft. This Yanny has more torque then that old VW and the 1" shaft just couldn't the stress. It was fine until I got to hull speed then it would start to whip.

The boat will actually do 2 kt faster with the Yanny but the 1" x 60" shaft just can't take it w/o a center support. I haven't had it the water since the shaft change so we'll see. Doing the hull/deck joint and building an arch. But have to want for the weather.

Lina says Hi back and to Lori too!

.................................._/)
Old 09-04-2011, 17:05   #44
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

'Round and 'round we go!

It was one of those days running around fetchin' stuff, gettin' rid of junk and ponderin'!

First was a trip to the UPS store to pick up 300 lbs of fiberglass!

Luckily the nice fella's who sold it to me were good 'nuff to split it into 4 equal lengths of 12.5 yds each. This stuff is heavy, 33oz sq/yd Vectorply Triaxial fabric. This plus a layer of 10 oz plain weave will cover the bottom of the boat. It cuts my cost virtually in half. If it works ok I'll buy 'nuther 50 yds for the inside.

The next trip was to visit a fellow boat builder who had 4 sheets of 1/4" marine ply to trade. He got a good deal, 4 sheets of 1/2' for the 4 of the 1/4". It was a good deal for me too. I got what I needed to do the mods on the boat. We got to chatting about boat stuff and before I knew it an hour had flown by! I guess that's to be expected when two boat builder guys get together. Anyhow, thanks Burton.

Getting the plywood home and unloaded it was time to load up the trailer with the scraps from the kit parts plus the junk wood that's been kicking around the shed. I've tripped over the stuff a dozen times so it had to go. The mahogany and MDF scraps weren't on the pile 2 mins and a picker was there looking it over! ;-) Told him there'd be more later on if he wants to check with me later.

When I got that done I started pondering. I have to duplicate Frame E so I laid it out on the table to see what it looks like. This is the widest frame at almost 10'

Laid out like that this boat is going to be huge! There won't be a whole lotta room to move around in the shed once it's on the strongback. That worries me a bit but I'll have to live with it.

Next I looked at the cabin side and how I'm going to handle the extension. It would have been nice to get the panels without the windows cut. It would have been easier to splice in the 39" extension. Anyhow, the windows are cut so I'll deal with it later. I get the feeling Mr. Planer, Mr. Grinder and Mr. Belt Sander are going to be my best friends on this project.

That's about it for today's boat building activities folks. I'm knackered, pooped, scroodled and pretty much toast! Carry on without me......
Old 09-04-2011, 17:40   #45

Fiber glass/Epoxy

Oh Man! I wish I would have known. There was a Catamaran builder over here that lost a contract to build and was selling off all the materials for half of what he paid.
I checked and have deleted his email address.

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler