Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 21:57   #1246
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Rick...

Will you quit screwing around with all of this precision shiznit and get going !?!?!

By the time you splash, I'll need to turn in my L crew shirt and exchange it for an XXL... Or a toga... I'm doing all I can, slowing down on the Memphis BBQ, but a man can only do so much...

All kidding aside... sorry for the long absence, and you are seriously kicking some butt.... The project, she looks marvelous... Rock on brotha...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 22:45   #1247

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Too hot in the shed and had to bail about 11:00 when it was 34C or about 95F. Did manage to get the port side engine bed covered in basalt fabric. That's done now.

Really really like that basalt. Wish I had a lot more of it. It wets out very easily, drapes and conforms to all kinds of odd shapes. And that's a fairly heavy fabric too at 22 oz/sq yd.
I've got the same experience working with basalt, it's really a joy to wet it. I used 450g biax for the top layer on the outside of the hull. Got still a roll of woven 350g fabric which I intend to use on the flat, to be painted surfaces of the interior.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:21   #1248
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Will you quit screwing around with all of this precision shiznit and get going !?!?!
Ya see HMS, I'm the kinda guy who sees in plumb & level. You know the type, they come into your house and straighten all the pictures hanging on your walls! Unfortunately there's not much on a boat that's plumb & level for the eye to judge so I gotta rely on instruments! Besides, If I didn't get it right Del would rip me a new one!

Quote:
By the time you splash, I'll need to turn in my L crew shirt and exchange it for an XXL... Or a toga... I'm doing all I can, slowing down on the Memphis BBQ, but a man can only do so much...
So I'm hopin' to actually go from the XXL to the XL during this project. I think if I loose and you gain the world will remain in perfect equilibrium!

Quote:
All kidding aside... sorry for the long absence, and you are seriously kicking some butt.... The project, she looks marvelous... Rock on brotha...
Thanks man. Really appreciate the good vibes!

Just waiting out this hot spell. Should be back at it in a few days. Supplies are arriving today so that's a good sign.

Standby...
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:25   #1249
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I've got the same experience working with basalt, it's really a joy to wet it. I used 450g biax for the top layer on the outside of the hull. Got still a roll of woven 350g fabric which I intend to use on the flat, to be painted surfaces of the interior.
Wish I could have gotten my hands on more of it. Only one supplier in Canada and he charges same price as carbon fiber.

Do you have a blog or building thread Teddy?
Old 06-08-2016, 21:10   #1250
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Ya see HMS, I'm the kinda guy who sees in plumb & level. You know the type, they come into your house and straighten all the pictures hanging on your walls! Unfortunately there's not much on a boat that's plumb & level for the eye to judge so I gotta rely on instruments! Besides, If I didn't get it right Del would rip me a new one!

Yea... that marrey feller is a stickler for detail ain't he??? I know some eyetalian acquaintances who are fairly talented in the "encouragement" of helping people mind their own business... You just say the word...

So I'm hopin' to actually go from the XXL to the XL during this project. I think if I loose and you gain the world will remain in perfect equilibrium!

Couple more days of this heat, and we'll both probably well on our way to waif model Twiggy dimensions... Heat index was 116 at 10AM the other day...

Thanks man. Really appreciate the good vibes!

Just waiting out this hot spell. Should be back at it in a few days. Supplies are arriving today so that's a good sign.

Standby...
You got it my man... your tenacity is inspiring... And the ability to enjoy and share your your "haha oopsies" makes us ALL feel better about ours! (I'll share a hoot of a funny buffer story in your honor and send ya the link)

You're kickin'butt man... keeeeepa goin'!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 13:55   #1251
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You got it my man... your tenacity is inspiring... And the ability to enjoy and share your your "haha oopsies" makes us ALL feel better about ours! (I'll share a hoot of a funny buffer story in your honor and send ya the link)

You're kickin'butt man... keeeeepa goin'!
Thanks HMS. Looking forward to your story!

I have plenty of 'Ooopsies' as I have no actual idea what the hell I'm doing! That's the truth! Just make sh*t up as I go!

Cooled off just 'nuff to let me get back into the boat shed today. Started off drilling (trying to drill) the stainless plate & channel for the skeg. As it turns out I wasn't using the proper drill bits and chowdered them all to hell.

Managed to squeeze in some filleting & taping on Frame B. Had to skamper 'cause it was getting pretty warm in the shed.

My buddy Jimmy came over to use my vice and we managed to come up with a 'backyard eyeball engineering' solution to his throttle cable! All in all a decent day.

Few more pics on the web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/08/lit ... ather.html

Standby....
Old 08-08-2016, 10:11   #1252
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hacked up Frame A. Top section will provide access to the anchor rode/chain locker. Middle section will likely be just storage and the bottom section a void space. I might be able to squeeze a battery in there for the windlass/bow thruster. Dunno yet.

Flew in Frame C to get it located. It'll require some mods to the stringers (I think they're a wee bit too long). Have a crack at that tomorrow.

Gotta go buy some coax and a splitter (HoneyDo), the Admiral is buying herself a small TV for her sewing room so she can watch the Olympics as she works.

Standby...
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45   #1253

Quote:
Wish I could have gotten my hands on more of it. Only one supplier in Canada and he charges same price as carbon fiber.

Do you have a blog or building thread Teddy?
I've been bying from Basaltex in Belgium. The roll of woven I found from a German supplier who had put it on a sale, cheaper than glass!

No blog but I've been thinking about building thread. Thou if I had started it before it would have been boring. Winter lasts 6 to 7 months here, no progress then. You've seen some pictures in BD..

BR Teddy
Old 10-08-2016, 15:41   #1254
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I've been bying from Basaltex in Belgium. The roll of woven I found from a German supplier who had put it on a sale, cheaper than glass!
Hey Teddy. Was snooping around eBay and found this. Looks a lot like what I had.

12 5 M2 Basalt Biaxial Gelege 590 G Biaxial Farbic Multiaxial Epoxy VGL Carbon | eBay

Pretty good price even considering shipping it across the pond.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:28   #1255
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The heat has been relentless here lately. Yesterday mercury topped out at about 104F with himidex. Going to be hotter today!

I managed to get in to the shed for a couple of hours this morning to get Frame C lined up along the 'BASELINE' as the designer reminded me. I seem to have had a brainfart and forgot all about the 'BASELINE" so not it's written in big letters on the inside of the hull!

It's a bit of a beast to wrestle in to the boat and get it lined up. It's heavy and awkward. Lopsided. I've already had it in and out twice for trimming and will have to do it again to get it right.

More musings on deviating from the plans on today's web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/08/at- ... peril.html

Standby....

PS. Connor Daniel Laporte (ETA end of September 2016). My first Grandchild!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:41   #1256

Quote:
Hey Teddy. Was snooping around eBay and found this. Looks a lot like what I had.

12 5 M2 Basalt Biaxial Gelege 590 G Biaxial Farbic Multiaxial Epoxy VGL Carbon | eBay

Pretty good price even considering shipping it across the pond.
Yup, just wish it were a full roll. Propably someone like us getting rid of the leftovers.
Got this week delivered home 2 rolls of 600g BIAX , should be about what I need for the inner skin. Gotto order another barrel of epoxy soon..
Old 11-08-2016, 08:44   #1257
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yup, just wish it were a full roll. Propably someone like us getting rid of the leftovers.
Got this week delivered home 2 rolls of 600g BIAX , should be about what I need for the inner skin. Gotto order another barrel of epoxy soon..
I've scaled back on the epoxy orders. Just get what I need when I need it. Had some go bad sitting too long. At $100/gal can't afford the waste.

I'm done with all the large panel laminations except the cabin tops. I have enough glass to do those.
Old 13-08-2016, 09:27   #1258
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We finally got some relief from the heat. Very comfy, but lil' muggy, 19 C (66 F) in the shed this morning. Set to work getting Frame C fitted. No more big gaps and dead nuts on the baseline.

Set to work filleting & taping the frame.

I'll fillet & tape the other side tomorrow. Wee minor adjustment to the stbd side but that'll happen tomorrow as well. Admiral came out to survey the workings and strategize her sewing work space. Think we got that worked out and it'll be a nice feature once it's done.

Other than plenty of sanding up and down the stringers for the last layer of tape that's about it for today.

Standby....
Old 13-08-2016, 11:29   #1259

Quote:
I've scaled back on the epoxy orders. Just get what I need when I need it. Had some go bad sitting too long. At $100/gal can't afford the waste.

I'm done with all the large panel laminations except the cabin tops. I have enough glass to do those.
How going bad? Was it just chrystalized, that's the main issue with epoxy but then it needs only to warm it up to get it to clear liquid again. The hardeners darken some by oxidization but not dangerous either.
Old 13-08-2016, 15:06   #1260
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How going bad? Was it just chrystalized, that's the main issue with epoxy but then it needs only to warm it up to get it to clear liquid again. The hardeners darken some by oxidization but not dangerous either.
I'm not sure what happened to it. Just two part jugs. Wouldn't harden.

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler