Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2015, 12:12   #1111
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Another good day in the boat shed. Started about 09:00 and cleaned up the fabric edges from the keel work day before yesterday. I played hookie from the boat shed yesterday. Sanded, vacuumed, wiped & laid out the fabric and it was lunch time. After a wee break got back to it. By 14:30 I was done.

Used about 1-3/4 gallons of epoxy to wet out that strip which is about 28' long by 4' wide. Sort of found my rhythm though working with this stuff. Tomorrow the port sides. I'm not 100% positive I have enough 12 oz glass left. *fingers crossed.

Web log updated with more pics. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/port ... layer.html

Standby...
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 09:34   #1112
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Port side second layer laid down and gooped!

That lil' piece of fiberglass is 15' 6" long and 4' wide! It sucked up almost exactly 1 gallon of epoxy. I'm getting better at my squeegee technique.

I usually mix 1 pt of epoxy at a time but decided to give mixing a quart a shot today. It's nice and mild out, low 70's so I knew there was little chance of it kicking off in the bucket. It worked pretty well. Fewer runs to the sticky stuff machine.

That's two quarts on and two to go.

After about an hour and 20 minutes it's all glued down. The step in the hull where the bulwarks join the hull sides is a real PITA. The wetted out glass wants to slide down the side of the hull and this leaves a 'bridge bubble' in its wake.

I'll be on bubble watch for a few hours till the epoxy decides it wants to hold everything in place! PITA!

So the big question of the day is: Do I have 'nuff 12 oz to do the rest of the port side?

Hmmm? Well I dunno yet. We'll find out soon enough!

Standby....
Old 14-09-2015, 10:15   #1113

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

You're getting pretty good at this.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 10:36   #1114
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
You're getting pretty good at this.
I'm a slow learner. Took me 3 yrs to get the outside done (except for paint). Wife only has to hit me over the head 3 or 4 times now to get me to learn somethin'!
Old 15-09-2015, 10:24   #1115
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yet another big bite outta this whale!

I smell bad. Shower time. There's some more pics & stuff on the blog update: M/V She:Kon: Port sides aft

Standby....
Old 15-09-2015, 10:34   #1116

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Looking great Rick,

I assume that without bulkheads and decks, the hull is a bit wiggly. But I wonder if all the recent glass work as stiffened it up noticeably?

I especially like the way the glass in the area of the chine is double thickness due to overlap. What a great consequence of that lay-up scheme.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 10:42   #1117
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Steve

That's funny you should ask that. Was actually just thinking to myself how much stiffer the boat is now! No more floppy sides! I'm guessing there's 1/4" of fiberglass over the chines with all the tape & overlapped glass (probably 8-10 layers).

All the overlaps on the outside of the hull made for lots of extra work to feather the edges and get it fair.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers!
Old 17-09-2015, 10:56   #1118
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Spent half of yesterday and a lil' more than half today in the shed sanding. Still have to get glass on the transom, back end of the box keel and the bow ahead of the thruster tube. Lots of overlapped fabric edges to be feathered out. I want to put an extra layer of tape along the bottom/keel join. The bottom fabrics weren't wide enough to overlap the sides and the bottom/keel join at the same time. Think I have 'nuff epoxy & off cuts left to get an extra layer of glass on the keel sides and bottom.

Got my butt firmly wedged between the thruster tube & stem to get that pic! Pretty cool I thought!

Few more pics on today's blog updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/coup ... -days.html

Cheers!
Old 17-09-2015, 11:15   #1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Too hot to work on the boat this afternoon so I stayed in the basement and tinkered. Tried to wrangle some tiny wires for the Mimic panel I designed.

I found a tip on this forum for dealing with soldering tiny wires that works well. Use Beadalon Crimp Tubes. They are tiny crimp devices intended for jewlery, but they work nicely for securing very small wires to be soldered.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 11:31   #1120
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
I found a tip on this forum for dealing with soldering tiny wires that works well. Use Beadalon Crimp Tubes. They are tiny crimp devices intended for jewlery, but they work nicely for securing very small wires to be soldered.
Now that's a cool idea!
Old 19-09-2015, 11:41   #1121
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Took a day off to rest up the hands and get away from the cats & boat shed. Did some good!

This morning's adventure was a lil' sanding and they laying out some fiberglass for the transom, keel & bow section.

Totally out of 12 oz 0/90 now so had to improvise on the bow section. Dug up some of the 33 oz triax I used on the bottom panels and filled in the bow section. That stuff is heavy & soaks up epoxy like a sponge!

More pics etc. on the blog update: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/litt ... there.html
Old 20-09-2015, 06:25   #1122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Progress is encouraging!

I think they may still let me outta the rest home for the launch party in a couple years...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 13:07   #1123
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Progress is encouraging!

I think they may still let me outta the rest home for the launch party in a couple years...
You and me both brother. We can race to the dock in our power scooters!

Progress yup, but I got my butt kicked right and proper today!

Tried to put two layers of glass & peel ply on the transom! Wet on wet they say. The 12 oz 0/90 went fine. I'm used to working with that. Next up was a 12 oz plain weave I have as a finishing layer. OMG! What a friggin' battle that was. It fought me every step of the way. It would not wet out. It would bunch up. It would bubble. It would fall off. It would wrinkle. After about an hour and a half struggling with it I finally managed to get it on half assed and the peel ply over it.

I don't think it's going to be too pretty. Luckily it'll all be hidden when the boat is done! Not my best work by any stretch of the imagination.

Pics & non-Sanding video tomorrow.

I need Rum & Coke!
Old 20-09-2015, 21:02   #1124
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's the video evidence of today's butt kickin' in the boat shed! https://youtu.be/Py3jPELZiOI
Old 21-09-2015, 05:31   #1125
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
You and me both brother. We can race to the dock in our power scooters!

Progress yup, but I got my butt kicked right and proper today!

Tried to put two layers of glass & peel ply on the transom! Wet on wet they say. The 12 oz 0/90 went fine. I'm used to working with that. Next up was a 12 oz plain weave I have as a finishing layer. OMG! What a friggin' battle that was. It fought me every step of the way. It would not wet out. It would bunch up. It would bubble. It would fall off. It would wrinkle. After about an hour and a half struggling with it I finally managed to get it on half assed and the peel ply over it.

I don't think it's going to be too pretty. Luckily it'll all be hidden when the boat is done! Not my best work by any stretch of the imagination.

Pics & non-Sanding video tomorrow.

I need Rum & Coke!
HA HA!

That there was power scooter race was funny!

Always a blast to check in... Finishing layer's a beeotch sometimes ain't it? Damn flimsy stuff...

As you said tho... you can hide anything....

Except long term affairs...

Keep truckin' Rick!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler