Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 08:56   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: And So It Begins... Knottybuoyz' New Project

That should get the neighbors scratching their head.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:29   #62
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
That should get the neighbors scratching their head.
I already had one ask WTF it was? I covered it up so as to keep the neighborhood chatter down a bit.

Second cabin side stewing and gluing!

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 11:08   #63
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Foredeck going together. Starting to get the feel for the size of this thing. It's a bit overwhelming at the moment and I haven't even gotten to the biggest panels yet.

Old 16-04-2011, 11:26   #64

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I'm sure you'll get that warm mushy feeling when you can stand inside the thing.
Old 17-04-2011, 08:14   #65
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'm sure you'll get that warm mushy feeling when you can stand inside the thing.
I sure hope it's not that warm mushy feeling of uncured epoxy!

Finishing the joints on the backside of the foredeck.

Shakin' and Bakin'!

Mother Nature hasn't cooperated much this week so a little supplementary heat was needed.

The fordeck is 9' 6" from tip to tip if that helps much with scale. Yup, it's big. Bigger parts to come though, the main cabin top is next. That'll be approx. 18' long by 8' wide.
Old 18-04-2011, 15:41   #66
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I got to spend an hour of quality time with my belt sander tonight. I ran out of peel ply and tried some stuff I found in Lori's sewing room. It didn't work and I had to grind it all off!

Fwd cabin roof going together as soon as it warms up.

Old 18-04-2011, 23:20   #67

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Fwd cabin roof going together as soon as it warms up.
I know you dont want to do heeps of projects at once but have you thought of making a oil heater cheep im in the process just to heat the pool.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 06:43   #68
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I know a couple of fella's who heat their workshops with waste oil heaters. Good idea. Not sure if I'll be doing too much in the dead of winter but if Mother Nature doesn't get her act straightened out I may need one in April! Zero deg C here this AM.

One half of the main cabin roof going together. It's 16' 5" long and 4' wide and will have to be done in two parts it's so big. The two lighter colored panels are the extensions, fwd for the hull/cabin stretch and the aft for the 4' cockpit hard top extension.

It'll get trimmed to its final shape once it's on the boat.
Old 23-04-2011, 18:03   #69
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

More splicing of the roof panels. I had to cut the fwd cabon top apart because i forgot a piece. I dpn't mucj like grinding fiberglass. :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-635320903.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	26520  
Old 23-04-2011, 18:11   #70

Quote:
More splicing of the roof panels. I had to cut the fwd cabon top apart because i forgot a piece. I dpn't mucj like grinding fiberglass. :-(
One of these would be nice with a carrier to hold the hose in place to catch the dust.

Old 23-04-2011, 18:22   #71
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I got one Del but the fiberglass just clogs it up. I was using the power planer and it just tossed out too much stuff. Just have to remember gloves and goggles! ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1724273914.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	26521  
Old 24-04-2011, 06:10   #72
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If anyone's crazy 'nuff to consider building one of these for themselves I've posted my extra set of plans for sale on e-Bay. Item #130512226245

The designer has given his blessing to selling his plans and will extend after sale support just as if you had purchases the plans from him directly.

Study plans.
Old 24-04-2011, 11:51   #73

Quote:
I got one Del but the fiberglass just clogs it up. I was using the power planer and it just tossed out too much stuff. Just have to remember gloves and goggles! ;-)
Try putting in a pre-screen that can be easily removed. That'll catch the big stuff and save the bagging for the fine stuff.
Get a tube that fits the hose and put in a cone shaped 1/8" hardware wire. If it plugs up you pull of that section of hose, pull out the cone, dump it, put it back and your back in business. Similar to a strainer in a water line.
With a planer you would need a pre-barrel. Chips going in the middle and the air going out the top hose into the bagging system, with a screen in the middle.

For industrial sand blasters there is a system with two barrels, one stacked on top of the other. Between them there is a cloth/filter bag with a weight attached to the closed end.
When the vac is turned on it inflates the lower drum at it's upper section, raising the bag up into the upper drum and allowing the air to escape out filtered vents and collects the particles.
When the vac is turned off the weight causes the bag to fall, dumping the dust in the bottom of the lower barrel. Which creates a self-cleaning bag.

I had to add a pre-screen to this system because the guys were sandblasting gasket and insulation material form off of valves & flanges plugging up the bag.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:20   #74
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That just sounds way too complicated Del. I'll resort to the shop vac if I have to. Bad weather and ear aches kept me out of the shed this week. Feeling better now so I've made a little more progress.

Moved the two sides of the cabin top outside.

They'll stay here till next summer I'm guessing. They'll be wrapped up neatly in the tarp to keep them dry and safe.

Moved onto the bulwarks. These are pretty simple joins so I did both sides at once. First time I've done that. We'll see how they turn out.

When the bulwarks are done I'll start on the bottom and side panels. That'll take a bit of forethought to juggling the parts once they're assembled.

That's it for now. Shower then off to the Flea Market to see what treasures I can find.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02   #75
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Random picture from the boatshed.

Stringers got glued up last week. These panels are for the bottom. As they sit now they're almost 29' long. I'll be adding another 39" to them in the middle which means they'll be sticking out the front and back of my shed!

Just in case you were wondering the kerfs in the plywood are there to make it easier to bend at the bow.

I got bit by a runaway measuring tape snake.

So technically I have now bled on my project. Good thing for paper towel and hockey tape in the bowshed. Hockey tape is almost as good as duct tape in emergencies!

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler