Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 16:32   #586
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I've been dealing with it for many years, along with rotator cuffs, wrists, knees, etc. And I'm relatively young! Get used to it if you wanna boatbuild...
Nice. Thanks Minaret. I'm gonna have to introduce the Admiral to the joys of sanding!

Luckily I only got one shot knee!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:40   #587
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Nice. Thanks Minaret. I'm gonna have to introduce the Admiral to the joys of sanding!

Luckily I only got one shot knee!

Lol! Welcome to the fine art of delegating sanding tasks. I prefer the Tom Sawyer "whitewashing the fence" routine. Good luck!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 20:56   #588

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I tried some Mexicans a few times. That was a mistake. You can't get them back often enough to train them.

Now that summer is here, any teens in the neighborhood looking to start a career?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:14   #589
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I tried some Mexicans a few times. That was a mistake. You can't get them back often enough to train them.

Now that summer is here, any teens in the neighborhood looking to start a career?
Hey Del

I think we're too far from the border. By the time they get here they've already priced themselves out of my range!

I've got a couple of kids that have helped. Terrible work ethic. Too many text messages from the skirts. They usually end wandering off somewhere leaving me to work myself.

Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and get back to work!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:58   #590
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I sanded for a couple of hours, taking frequent breaks which seemed to help the hands. I pulled the peel ply off Saturday's job on the port side.

Other than a few very minor bubbles the results were much better. Some slumping of the epoxy in places but nothing a light sanding won't fix.

I'll dress up the sides then move back up on the bottom for more sanding and bubble repair. I should be laying out the next layers of fabric sometime next week or the week after. Have to order in more epoxy . This pig is sucking it up like a Barrington Street Hooker on a Saturday night! So far I'm into the outside of the hull for 20 gallons.
Old 14-06-2013, 15:15   #591
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've got RIPPLES!

These showed up after I removed the peelply from the port side we did on Saturday. I've sanded the tops off of them, do I need to go deeper and totally get rid of them? I'm afraid of going too far and sanding away good fiberglass. It looks like the glass is deep and right against the ply from what I can tell. I did aft end on Sunday and when I removed that peelply there was no sign of any ripples. The main difference, other than Jim not being there is the temperature (abt. 5 degs warmer (low 70's)) and no rain so the shed was dryer. The only other thing I can think of is I didn't squeegee enough.

You can see them again on the right hand side of this pic.

I started going down the port side with the sander about 10:00 this morning. Didn't quit till 16:30. My hands were throbbing like crazy.

Nobody's going to do this for me so I had to stick to it. Mostly I was sanding the ripples and feathering the fabric edge along the bottom. Seeing as I ended up having to sand the whole freakin' hull anyways I think I'll forgo the peelply next time.

I got another question. My six inch air RO is my workhorse. I do have a 7" Simoniz variable speed car polisher. I've seen backing pads that'll fit the polisher to make it into a sander. It wouldn't be an RO but a 7 or 8" disc would help speed things along wouldn't it? I don't know if it's worthwhile. The polisher would likely be junk by the time I'm done using it as a sander.

Hey! Guess what? More sanding tomorrow!
Old 17-06-2013, 10:34   #592
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I took my GoPro out of the Jeep today to tinker with in the shed. This is my first attempt at doing a boat shed video. For some reason the audio didn't record (read Operator Stupidity) so I had to caption it later.

It sort of worked ok. I do apologize to those who watch the whole thing. That's 6 minutes of your life you'll wish you had back!

Standby. GoPro pictures coming soon.
Old 18-06-2013, 00:06   #593
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice! I love the soccer pads.

I think your ripples are due to wracking the weave of the DB, I've seen it before. It's a result of the spray adhesive method. It's very difficult for one person to get it to lay down perfectly, and with spray adhesive you basically only have one shot. The resin dissolves the adhesive a bit, but you still can't move the ply around on the surface properly. This means your squeegee work can't really be done properly. Usually when I really squeegee a big piece of DB it grows in width an inch or so, as the fibers lay down tight and splay out. This can't happen with spray adhesive, the fibers are locked into the relation you put them in when it was dry. It makes sense to do it this way, since you are solo. But you need to be very careful when putting your glass in place. Are you working straight off the roll? I would definitely put your piece on a cassette with a vertical holder. Last time I did this the cassette fit on the caster base of an old office chair, worked good. Then you can do no adhesive, just wet out a few feet at a time, then unroll some more. You can even finish each section of a few feet all the way to peel ply before unrolling more. This is how we do big layups in Fast epoxy. Sometimes you need two or three cassettes on rollers, one for each ply in the laminate. PVC pipe makes good cassettes, cheap and easy to clean, doesn't soak up resin like cardboard tube does if you do wet layups on a cassette. Are you using the big heavy industrial rubber squeegee, the white stuff that comes in rolls?

Old 18-06-2013, 03:20   #594
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Minaret

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Quote:
Nice! I love the soccer pads.
They actually work great. With the carpal tunnel thing I have to lean on my forearms a lot. Saves a lot of scratching later.

Quote:
Are you working straight off the roll?
No. I had to lay out and cut the pieces before I rerolled them up and moved them into the shed.

It's really tight for space to work and move around in the shed and this was the only way I figured I could do it. I've recently removed the shelf along the stbd side so I've got a bit more room but it's still tight. I think I'll build some stands to hold the rolls of 12 oz vertical and peel it off as I go for the next layer. I have a bit more room now to work.

Quote:
Are you using the big heavy industrial rubber squeegee, the white stuff that comes in rolls?
The only squeegee I'm using is the Bondo flexible spreaders. They're cheap and work well till the edges get tore up. I've tried others that are available locally and most don't work as well as the Bondo spreaders.

In only used a very small amount of 3M Super 77 along the top edge, just enough to hold it on the bottom, not the sides. It was free falling over the sides. I normally squeegeed from top to bottom so there shouldn't have been anything holding the fabric except at the bow where it laid over to the other side.

Would the humidity in the shed have affected it somehow? I'm not going to sand the ripples anymore. I'll use a very light filler before the next layer, 12 oz biax, goes on.

Thanks, I appreciate your input.
Old 18-06-2013, 03:48   #595
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The GoPro camera has a very wide angle view. I think it's 140 degs if my memory serves me correctly. The wide angle view can distort perspective but it's the closest I can get to a full view of the boat so far.

I get the feeling it's going to look a lot bigger when I flip it over!
Old 20-06-2013, 06:52   #596
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Obviously I'm no expert on destructive testing methods but this is funny!

Old 28-06-2013, 08:53   #597
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I'm loosin' it here! I can't get this tune out of my head!
I'm sandin' in the rain
Just sandin' in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm hap hap happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's in my heart
And I'm ready for fairin' fun
With a happy refrain
I'm just sandin', sandin' in the rain
Oh God, someone help me please!
Old 28-06-2013, 10:17   #598
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wutta jerk! Now I've got it too. Thanks...

Old 28-06-2013, 11:08   #599
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wutta jerk! Now I've got it too. Thanks...
Cool!

I should have rented a floor sander from Home Depot!

Old 28-06-2013, 11:59   #600
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Rick: While the peel test was interesting, I'm just not sure what you were going to do with negative results. Just saying!!
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler