Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 09:40   #181
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: And So It Begins ... Knottybuoyz' New Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
With the shank in the lock, the two tips and the fork should be snug on the anchor. When you unlock the shank and lift it upwards it pulls the tips out and then the anchor can be lifted out of the fork.
Thanks Del. I think I understand. Kinda, sorta maybe!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41   #182
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thinking ahead is probably one of the most enjoyable parts of building your own boat. There's a million decisions to be made and each one can affect a half dozen others. I'm lucky in that I've been able to follow a few ongoing boat builds like this as well as a few finished models.

This morning I popped the troublesome frame off the long table and tucked it away. The next big task is the cabin sides. They curved so I had to lay out with some blocks so the panel would follow that curve.

It took a good while, 30 mins or so to goop up the glass and get the peel ply on. It had started to kick off when I got all the way around so it was scramble time to get the peelply on and smoothed out.

It's a good thing Boots showed up this morning to oversee operations. He immediately pointed out a mistake in my layout of the cabin side sliding door.

I had the top of the door level with the tops of the other two windows. The top of the window in the door should have been level with the tops of the other windows. Nice catch Boots! You've earned your kibble this week!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03   #183

Rick,

How do you determine how far to weight the panel down to meet the curve? Is it a sort of guestimation thing or is there some way to make it exact?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06   #184
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Rick,

How do you determine how far to weight the panel down to meet the curve? Is it a sort of guestimation thing or is there some way to make it exact?
It's on the drawings. There's an dwg for the side decks with the dimensions of the curve that follows the cabin sides. It just happens to avg 3 1/2" at the widest. I could have taken the dimensions for the curve off of the frames as well.

I've got 'nuff guesswork into this thing already so I'm trying not to tempt fate more than I have to!

I'm only glassing the outside at this point so the panel will still be plenty flexible.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:10   #185

Cool. Its looking great.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18   #186

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I'll modify my post a bit to make it more detailed.

Quote:
With the ANCHOR LAYING FLAT AND THE shank in the lock, the two FLUKE tip MOUNTS and the CROWN MOUNT should be snug on the CROWN AND FLUKE of the anchor. When you unlock the shank and lift it upwards it pulls the FLUKE tips out and then the CROWN can be lifted out of the MOUNT.
To reinstall the anchor put the fluke tips in their mounts and lower the shank and it will secure the crown, then lock the shank with the hand screw.

Attached Images

Old 04-07-2011, 16:48   #187

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
I'll modify my post a bit to make it more detailed.

To reinstall the anchor put the fluke tips in their mounts and lower the shank and it will secure the crown, then lock the shank with the hand screw.

Delmarrey has it right... when I installed a similar anchor with holdfast points, I first mounted it on a piece of scrap 5 ply and once I had the anchor points correctly placed, drilled the screw holes that secured the anchor chocks right through the 5 ply and use it as a template to spot the anchor on my foredeck. one of the few things I did right the first time and didn't have to redo it! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:08   #188
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks everybody for helping me figure that little puzzle out.

Nothing to report boat building wise. Waiting for more fiberglass and epoxy. I burned through the last six gallons of epoxy in record time. Getting anxious for a boat ride and a lil' burned out from boat building stuff so I decided to blow the cob webs off the old boat (the one I can't give away) and get her ready for a dunking. This will be her first time in the water in over two years. What's that number for Sea Tow again?

Old 09-07-2011, 14:55   #189
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Got our boat ride in!

We had a lil' fire on this boat year before last and that kinda set me back a bit on boating. That and we did a quite a few things with the car club last year. I was a little apprehensive about taking her out but had to do it sooner or later. Boat worked perfectly.

The one thing I'm going to miss going from this to a Trawler is the speed!

I apologize for the crappy pics but the Admiral was definitely enjoying herself.

The CCGS Griffon docked in Prescott Ontario. I worked on her in the fall of '78 as a deckhand then went to College for Marine Engineering. I returned to the Griffon in the fall of 1980 as a Steward and stayed on her till 1985. During my time on her I went from Steward to Storekeeper to Supply Officer.

I think we're going to take a bit more of a break from the boat building, save some money (hopefully) and do a little more boating this summer. Will probably be back to the boat mid August or so.
Old 09-07-2011, 15:03   #190

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Taking a break is a good idea. When the hobby becomes the "job", some of the fun is gone.
I gave up my boatyard business for that reason.
Old 09-07-2011, 15:08   #191

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Must say, it looked like fun. And coming from me, who is not a big proponent of speedy things, that's saying something...

Enjoy the rest of the summer and I look forward to seeing your updates when you get back at it.

Cheers.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 16:44   #192

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Enjoy the rest of the summer and I look forward to seeing your updates when you get back at it.

Cheers.
+1

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 19:44   #193

Good idea! One needs to get out on the water at least once a year.

I've been meaning to mention this but I discovered that if one lets epoxy set for a long while, it's a pain to sand. I had some spots where I had laid up some epoxy last fall then I recently did some more right next to it. While power sanding the new stuff would cut real EZ but when I ran over to last years surface it was like sanding glass. I went through 3 times as many pads for the same amount of area.

Wish I had a work structure too. The temp got down to 42º F last night and the epoxy wasn't even hard enough to sand today.

The Griffon, is that a (Knotty)buoy(z) tender?
Old 09-07-2011, 19:49   #194

Quote:
Good idea! One needs to get out on the water at least once a year.

I've been meaning to mention this but I discovered that if one lets epoxy set for a long while, it's a pain to sand. I had some spots where I had laid up some epoxy last fall then I recently did some more right next to it. While power sanding the new stuff would cut real EZ but when I ran over to last years surface it was like sanding glass. I went through 3 times as many pads for the same amount of area.

Wish I had a work structure too. The temp got down to 42º F last night and the epoxy wasn't even hard enough to sand today.

The Griffon, is that a (Knotty)buoy(z) tender?

I wish wish wish WISH it would get to 42 F here. The heat index is way into the 100+ range. At night we're lucky to drop into the mid 80s.
Old 09-07-2011, 19:55   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
I wish wish wish WISH it would get to 42 F here. The heat index is way into the 100+ range. At night we're lucky to drop into the mid 80s.
I keep hearing about some up coming global warming but I'm not seeing it. Have'm send a little our way!

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler