Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 08:32   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Anchor locker plugging up

So it has now happened a number of times, each at night. My anchor locker has a drain in the bottom and stuff gets in it. Shells, washers, dirt, anything that fals into the locker makes its way to this drain. It goes into a 90 degree bend, to a 3 foot hose, then 90 degree bend to a hole going through the haul and draining into the sea. Bad design and it gets clogged, water then fills the locker making the bow very heavy and in heavy weather drives the bow deep into a wave. It eventually fills and empties into the boat. It makes a mess and the bilge pumps keep up with it though.

Anyone else had this problem and have you fixed it? I am thinking of putting a rubber hose to extend the opening and putting a net of some sort on the end to keep stuff from entering. My chain sits on a wooden platform that I made above this so it will not interfere with the chain.

Comments, suggestions, concerns with the concept? Thanks for your help. Dave. s/v Aloisius

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 10:44   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Anchor locker plugging up

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
So it has now happened a number of times, each at night. My anchor locker has a drain in the bottom and stuff gets in it. Shells, washers, dirt, anything that fals into the locker makes its way to this drain. It goes into a 90 degree bend, to a 3 foot hose, then 90 degree bend to a hole going through the haul and draining into the sea. Bad design and it gets clogged, water then fills the locker making the bow very heavy and in heavy weather drives the bow deep into a wave. It eventually fills and empties into the boat. It makes a mess and the bilge pumps keep up with it though.

Anyone else had this problem and have you fixed it? I am thinking of putting a rubber hose to extend the opening and putting a net of some sort on the end to keep stuff from entering. My chain sits on a wooden platform that I made above this so it will not interfere with the chain.

Comments, suggestions, concerns with the concept? Thanks for your help. Dave. s/v Aloisius

Dave,
I have had the same problem and there is an easy, inexpensive fix. You need to replace your anchor well scupper with one that accommodates a larger I.D. hose. Then, try to reroute your hose on a more direct route/line to your overboard through hull. If you have a 3/8" I.D. hose, go to a 1/2" or larger depending upon the average size of the debris. No more clogging. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 14-12-2015, 11:18   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Before we had a washdown pump, Jim used to use a bucket to clean the chain as it comes aboard. If you do what you can to clean it before it goes into the anchor locker, you'll get the mud & shell off. It may require a firm brush as well, and it is tedious, dirty work.
But it'll save you the hole saw and the fiberglass repair of making a larger drain hole.

You could also try back flushing it, if you take your boat back to a marina, where you can do that.

Another thought, how about a fine chain, like they have for limber holes, that you could pull back and forth on to clear the hole (you'd want some bungee in the locker, so it would pull it back).

Cheers,

Ann
Old 14-12-2015, 11:47   #4

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Fashion and attach a larger mesh SS screen, like one for a bilge pump over the hole.
You may need to clean it off now and again.
But that's not as bad as running a larger dia. drain hose. Which must have a larger dia. exit at the end.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 13:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Fashion and attach a larger mesh SS screen, like one for a bilge pump over the hole.
You may need to clean it off now and again.
But that's not as bad as running a larger dia. drain hose. Which must have a larger dia. exit at the end.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyard,
This doesn't work and it will cause a dangerous potential to permanently flood the anchor well when debris clogs the mesh(instantaneously). This will add extra weight to the bow (in addition to your chain and rode) depending upon the depth of the anchor well and the amount of chain you carry. It potentially could cause your boat to be unevenly balanced in a heavy seaway when taking water over the bow. I have been down this road. There is no danger in having a 1/2" I.D. through-hull, or larger, for this purpose since water cannot travel uphill. And, most boats have much larger through hulls for their cockpit/deck scuppers. This serves the same purpose--drain water from the boat. It is a common practice that boat manufacturers do not outfit their boats with cruising sailors in mind but rather for the weekend warriors that comprise the majority of boaters. These are things you discover quickly when living aboard and cruising full time. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 14-12-2015, 13:34   #6

I purchased a hose to fit into the existing hose. Also a screen to cover the hose. I will extend the hose from the hole in the anchor locker up a few inches.

This is temporary, I am in St Martin headed to Grenada. I like the idea of a bigger hole. The two from the cockpit is 1.5 inches I think.. Maybe not that big, but a bigger hole and a direct line will work as mentioned. Thanks. Any reason this might not be good? I will put a valve on this though. What I have now has no valve.
Old 14-12-2015, 14:07   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

The solution is call BIGGER drain holes.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 14:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I purchased a hose to fit into the existing hose. Also a screen to cover the hose. I will extend the hose from the hole in the anchor locker up a few inches.

This is temporary, I am in St Martin headed to Grenada. I like the idea of a bigger hole. The two from the cockpit is 1.5 inches I think.. Maybe not that big, but a bigger hole and a direct line will work as mentioned. Thanks. Any reason this might not be good? I will put a valve on this though. What I have now has no valve.

Land,
If you want a valve, do not use an in-line valve. You might as well mount a proper seacock for safety and security. Bullet proof. Good luck and safe sailing on your trip!
Old 14-12-2015, 14:20   #9

I was inferring a proper ball valve sea cock. Thank you for the clarification on my posting.
Old 14-12-2015, 14:29   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I'm just wondering how the water gets into your boat when the anchor locker fills.
Old 15-12-2015, 08:06   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Suggest you forget the hose drain if possible & install 2 of these-one on each side of bow-close as possible to bottom of anchor locker.
Cheers/Len.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=thru hull.jpg Views: 325 Size: 32.5 KB ID: 115090" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 15-12-2015, 08:42   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

My anchor locker simply has a ~1" hole on each side (above the waterline, of course) covered by a small aft-facing stainless clamshell, so it drains fairly well but can accumulate mud etc if neglected. What helps the most to prevent having to empty the locker and climbing in to scrub, is liberal use of the washdown pump to clean the chain while weighing anchor. I put a Y-valve on the washdown outlet; one side goes to the usual hose with handheld nozzle, while the other goes to a spray nozzle which is tie-wrapped to the bow pulpit, locked open and aimed at the anchor roller. It automagically blasts off 99% of everything on the chain, and I use the handheld to take care of the rest. Stowing the chain clean does wonders to prevent crud accumulating in the bottom of the locker, not to mention avoiding the "decaying marine organisms" anchor locker aroma that would otherwise occur.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 09:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

When you install the clam shell fittings close to the water line in an anchor locker is there any issue with them letting water in when plowing into waves? What is the minimum height above the water line you'd recommend for these!
Thanks
Nick

Old 15-12-2015, 10:23   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Nick, by memory they're just slightly above the floor of the anchor well, never thought about exactly how high (or what's under the "flloor"), but probably 8-10 inches. If any water runs in, it runs out again. Never accumulates much that I've noticed.

(this is my first attempt at attaching pics, so wish me luck. I hope they help)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AnchorWellDrain.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	115095   Click image for larger version

Name:	AnchorWellDrain-sailing.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	115096  

Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 12:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Suggest you forget the hose drain if possible & install 2 of these-one on each side of bow-close as possible to bottom of anchor locker.
Cheers/Len.

Attachment 115090
Len,
These "drains" may also restrict water flow if clogged with debris depending on the I.D. When anchoring in varied bottoms: mud, weed, shells, or a combination, thereof . . . debris can cause problems draining your anchor well. For those of us that do not use a spray gun to clean our anchor line, it is "pull and rinse" with a bucket after it has been stowed. Your anchor-well must be open and free to drain in all conditions. A large I.D. through hull will never fail. And, for those who mentioned spray-cleaning the rode . . . who is going to take the time to spray clean their chain in 30 knot winds with a 35-60 pound anchor swinging from the bow? Perhaps Mr. Schwarzenegger . . . but none else. Good luck and good sailing.

Tags
anchor, anchor locker, plug