Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2011, 08:25   #1
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
An Update on the O'day 39 that Was Dropped from a Crane

Several months ago I posted a tread about my boat being dropped (just a foot or so) when it was being lifted off a transport trailer. Thank you all who offered advise.
The boat lies 60 miles from Lake Michigan in Wisconsin (go packers). Both mine and the cranes insurance companies are clueless as to what needed to be done. I contacted a boat yard in Milwaukee and together have worked the problem.
The Damage:
The 12 foot spreader bar crashed down on the toe rail and nearly smashed it flat.
One thru hull landed on one of the trailer's support pads and has broken the sealant loose.
Two cracks running forward from the keel hull joint. (see attached photo from Oday 39 hull #53). My boat is hull #54.Click image for larger version

Name:	Oday 39-#53 hull to <a title=keel jnt 006.jpg Views: 562 Size: 58.7 KB ID: 23010" style="margin: 2px" />
My cracks were nearly identical. They are now twice as long after the drop.
We suspect the shaft alignment must be checked.

Other than that, the boat came through this rather well.

Here's the plan.
The toe rail must be removed, cut, straightened, welded (the metal stretched when it was smashed) finished and re-anodized. No matching toe rail exists and the bolts were glassed in at the factory. Getting at and re-drilling to a new bolt pattern would exceed the value of the boat.

Thru-hull replaced.

Engine shaft re-aligned once the boat sees water.

Bottom soda blasted to inspect for more cracks

The keel and shower pan (above the crack)removed to visually inspect the crack. We know the crack extended forward. What we don't know is if the crack extended back towards the keel bolts. If it did it surely will leak.

The boat is valued at about $50,000 that means the repair work needs to be less than $25,000 to avoid scrapping the boat.

The repair work is about $15,000

The boat yards says they will need a crane on site for 4 days to remove and reinstall the keel. That is about $36,000 at standard rate.
We are looking at two options:
Negotiating a better rate for the four days (possibly over a weekend)
Building a semi permanent structure to support the boat using the crane only to lift it onto the supports.
My question.. has anyone every done such a thing and how should it be built?
Any comments or suggestions are always welcome.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 10:05   #2
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
How much are the insurance companies offering? Have you looked for a replacement? Is there a sentimental attachment to this boat? Will you trust the repairs? Who will build the support? What if the boat falls off the supports? Will the insurance company pay for those damages, or will they then wash their hands and say not our problem?
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 14:36   #3
tsl

The insurance has paid $13,000. This will cover all repair work plus pulling the keel at the boat yard using the travel lift in the off season. The boat will be soda blasted this winter and the interior pan cut to gain access to the crack from the inside. The owner of hull #53 will be repairing the nearly identical crack without pulling the keel. I'll likely do the same if his work turns out OK. (No leaks)
To answer your questions? Replacement? I'd likely never find a boat at this price I now have $15,000 into it. sentimental? Yes, I love no loan payments. Trust the repairs? I'll have the yard pull the keel if the repair leaks. My original plan was to refurbish the boat over the next two years (repair deck cracks, soft spots, repaint no-skid and polish the gelcoat) now I have a bit more work. I'll likely do all the work myself with the exception of the soda blasting and repair and anodizing of the toe-rail.
Old 27-01-2011, 15:15   #4

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
A CRANE to pull the keel? Uhhh, no. Ask CharlieCobra here how it's done.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 15:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Doesn't the yard have travel lift? Why a crane at all?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 15:53   #6
tsl

The boat is in the middle of Wisconsin. I'll have it trucked to the yard in Milwaukee to step the mast and complete anything I don't do myself.

I'm finding CharlieCobra on several sailing forums but can not find anything on Keels
Old 27-01-2011, 15:58   #7

Boat: Downeaster 38
$36k for a crane???? Why not just hire a helicopter? I'd put it back on the truck and take it somewhere else.

Maybe the keel only needs to be dropped enough to do the repairs. i.e. Build a timber boat cradle to support the hull, dig hole under keel, insert bottle jacks, come-alongs, etc., lower keel as needed, do repairs and jack keel back into place. A little third-world ingenuity.
North26West80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 16:21   #8
tsl

Timber boat cradle was where we were heading but I'm not sure if the keel even needs to be re-bedded. If it it does, it will be done when the mast is stepped at the boat yard.
By the way, The crane companies will not allow a boat (or anything) to be suspended (even inches) without an operator. The practice we see with travel lifts everyday at boatyards is unique to travel lifts and boatyards. Why? I don't know. It's just what I'm told.
Old 27-01-2011, 16:43   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
You have one too many zeros in the crane price. You could BUY a crane that could lift the boat for that price.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 17:08   #10
tsl

$6000 to lift the boat $30,00 for the insurance. Keep dropping boats and it will be $40,000.

Think of it as economic stimulus
Old 27-01-2011, 17:27   #11

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
The boat yards says they will need a crane on site for 4 days to remove and reinstall the keel. That is about $36,000 at standard rate.
We are looking at two options:
Negotiating a better rate for the four days (possibly over a weekend)
Building a semi permanent structure to support the boat using the crane only to lift it onto the supports.
My question.. has anyone every done such a thing and how should it be built?
Any comments or suggestions are always welcome.
Holy Moley! Why not set her on jack stands instead of building a timber-framed monstrosity? Stand her up, drop the keel (lower it, actually), repair the cracks, raise the keel, rebolt, lift into water. Am I missing something here? If the boat is not at a yard, have her shipped there and do the work where they have travelifts, epoxy, resin, know-how, and jack stands.

Good luck!

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 16:31   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
36k for a crane is ridiculous. You don't need to use anything other than a travellift and a hole in the ground to deal with removing/replacing the keel. At least that is what I have read. 30k for insurance? They are smoking crack.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 17:23   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
For that kind of money one could repair the cracks and then encapsulate the whole keel in epoxy/glass.
Old 29-01-2011, 18:25   #14

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
I'm sorry for your misfortune, good luck. I agree that these repairs should be able to be easily accomplished with caution and a few jackstands, if it comes to that. As long as you can find shelter from those seasonal impossibly high Midwestern winds. Maybe a hole wouldn't be such a bad idea after all? You can probably find old stands from the internet shopping sources with all the boatyards that have closed with the economy. Or you could easily make your own, I have before. Hopefully they won't be needed.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 19:00   #15

Boat: Downeaster 38
Timber Cradle vs. Jack Stands

The reason for a timber cradle is because normally in a yard the boat rests on its keel and jack-stands balance it but carry little weight. In the scenario I described earlier, the cradle will carry the full weight of the boat at some point. I'm not so sure jack-stands or the ground they rest on are rated for that kind of load.
North26West80 is offline   Reply With Quote