Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 10:48   #1

Boat: 1989 Cabo Rico 34
An unplanned hole is needed

We were installing new chain plates yesterday and had a fastener freeze up. The short version of the long story is that I now need to cut about a 2" hole on the inside of the bulwark to get the now headless fastener removed. Not what I want to do but at this point I really have no choice. My question for the forum is where do I find a simple plate to screw down over my new "inspection" port? Can I buy them ready made or do I need to have one fabricated? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: An unplanned hole is needed

You can buy plastic ones, but what material are you cutting into? If wood then of course you may want to match that as close as possible and may cut your own, inspection or access covers are pretty common of course, may even want one to match on the other side, making it look as if it's supposed to be there.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:04   #3

The material is fiberglass. I really am just looking for a prefabbed plastic plate. I think I'll use a 1-1/2" hole saw and hopefully cover it with a plastic plate for the time being. The 1-1/2" hole would allow me to put a cable calam over it if I should ever want to get a cable through there. Any idea where to actually by a plastic cover plate?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any Chandelier, but they are usually much larger, like 4" maybe?
I Googled "plastic plug" and came up with a great many choices, I'm sure Grainger or someone would have what you need, if possible I'd first find a nice looking plug so you could cut the hole to fit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:05   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Make your own. Get a bigger hole saw, the size to cover up your new hole. Clamp 2 pieces of plastic material together, shorten up the pilot drill so it only goes through 1 piece.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:09   #6

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Make your own. Get a bigger hole saw, the size to cover up your new hole. Clamp 2 pieces of plastic material together, shorten up the pilot drill so it only goes through 1 piece.

+1, or check with Tap Plastics.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Leviton 1 Gang Midway Blank Nylon Wall Plate - White-R52-0PJ13-00W - The Home Depot

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:26   #8

Thank you everyone for your replies. Ill most likely end up making my own.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:07   #9

Boat: 33 ft Morgan oi

Use a Dremel to cut the bolt off on both ends If needed then A punch to get it out
carambo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:32   #10

You probably have other options. Pics help.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:15   #11

Boat: Looking!

If the bolt is loose enough to get a saw blade under it use a back saw blade or a saws all and cut the head off. A little patience and work will save you time and money. I presume there is a nut on the bottom so a punch will hammer it through. If you have to extract it out the top then get some penetrating oil and apply to bolt schaft several applications not heavy soaking and then victorious on damaged head, if it is still there, and rock back and forth breaking rust. If no gripping surface on head then get a set of easy outs ,extractors, from hardware store. Never drill a hole in a boat if you don't have to.
avoisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:56   #12

Why wouldn't you repair the hole with fibreglass, by which I mean epoxy and glass? Then the bulwark will have its original strength.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:23   #13

Thanks again for the replies. Since we've gone beyond cover plates I guess I owe you more information. The top chain plate bolt needed to be extracted and the screw head stripped before getting the nut off. The nut was in an extremely difficult place to reach, inside the bulwark, and virtually impossible to get to with any kind of cutting tool. As a matter of fact, I can't see it or touch it. My wife can at least touch it but cannot see it. Being the smart guy that I am, I drilled out the screw head and used a punch to drive the screw through to the inside. No amount of beating on it would get it the last 1/4" through to the inside. Turned out the screw was too long to make it all the way through and had run into the inside of the bulwark in this inaccessible spot. The only option I could think of was to drill a hole on the inside and finish driving it through. I ended up using an 1-1/2" hole saw which is the smallest hole I felt comfortable using to make sure my opening was in the right place to drive the screw, with a 9/16" nut, through. I hated to cut the hole but life goes on......
Old 09-09-2015, 12:30   #14

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
You probably have other options. Pics help.
What Crom is saying here, how did it break? Is the nut fixed/glued in the hull? Can you simply extract the broken bolt from the top?

Anyway, a pic or 3 might prove to be invaluable here.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:37   #15

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppySailor View Post
Thanks again for the replies.<SNIP>I ended up using an 1-1/2" hole saw which is the smallest hole I felt comfortable using to make sure my opening was in the right place to drive the screw, with a 9/16" nut, through. I hated to cut the hole but life goes on......
Sorry I was composing my last one while you were posting.

Since you used a hole saw, can you simply glue your cut plug back into the hole and then either try to hide the seam or use a colored adhesive to make it look like a professional repair?
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote