Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2009, 06:27   #1

Boat: Ranger 33
Aluminum Mast & Stainless Deck Plate

I am about to put a stainless deck plate under my aluminum mast. Any ideas how to isolate the aluminum from the stainless? Almost anything I can think of will crush under the weight of the mast.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 19-06-2009, 06:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Mike,
For your application, check out the characteristics of Delrin 150 plastic. I use it under a couple cable winches where the bolts are torqued down quite a bit. It is very resistant to deforming under compression. It doesn't really deform at all. Purchase a relatively thick piece that is better able to distribute the load evenly. I think you will be happy with it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 07:47   #3

It's hard to say without knowing the configuration... you mean just a flat plate? or does it slip inside the mast base...? If the mating surfaces are flat you could just put a thin sheet of anything from nylon to hpmw or whatever to isolate it. thin sheet material is available through Mcmaster Carr. They give a good explanation of UV resistance and strength too. In compression, I dont think you have any issue with crushing strength though...
If it's a painted mast, you may be asking for trouble though. Is there a reason you are putting stainless there?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 07:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't think you want to use any sort of soft or brittle plastic for this application.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 09:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Why not put an aluminum deck plate under your aluminum mast?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 13:53   #6

Boat: Sceptre 36
If you know anyone in construction, there is a commonly used material for bridge bearings, black rubbery material, forgot the name of it. The stuff is very strong and perfect for you application. Used it many times myself but the name escapes me.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 14:03   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Imagine has some sort of plastic shoe that fits the bottom of the mast, and the stainless plate for blocks under that......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 14:07   #8

Boat: Sceptre 36
It is a high density Neoprene bearing pad. Comes in varying thickness and would be perfect for both bearing and isolation pruposes. The size you need would probably be free scrap from any construction outfit that does bridges (large or small).
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:33   #9

Boat: Ranger 33
Thanks for all the suggestions. The mast will rest on the stainless plate. The real reason for using the stainless plate is that it fits - none of the aluminum plates that I found were suitable.

Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 21:02   #10

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
I have a similar setup. It's a flat SS plate welded to the top of my compression post. The post then slides through a hole in the deck (plate stays above the deck) and then down into a sleeve which is welded to a shoe/saddle in the bilge on top of the keel. The aluminum mast deck plate/shoe bolts on to of the flat SS plate.
I was just going to coat/paint a couple of coats of epoxy on both of the surfaces.

Would this not work?

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:01   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
It is a high density Neoprene bearing pad. Comes in varying thickness and would be perfect for both bearing and isolation pruposes. The size you need would probably be free scrap from any construction outfit that does bridges (large or small).
Bridge bearing pads are generally meant to accommodate flat (horizontal) plate-to-plate connections, so a hollow vertical mast would require a closure plate (shim) on it’s bottom opening surface. Left hollow, the mast’s vertical edges would cut into the elastomeric isolator.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast