Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 21:53   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
Aluminum fixed triangular made Mast steps.

I have looked several times and have no luck finding aluminum triangular mast steps. West Marine has stainless and everyone under the sun has folding, but no aluminum.does anyone know why stainless is the predominant choice.if I had to guess I would have thought that aluminum would be the metal of choice. I was quite surprised find stainless was the predominant metal what about corrosion due to the fact that there 2 different metals up against 1 another. Am I reading into this too muchI continue ing my search for the aluminum steps. What are your thoughts on aluminum versus stainless
Old 12-11-2012, 22:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Aluminum fixed triangular made Mast steps.

Welcome to Mast Step

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 22:27   #3

Thank you there Stumble. I gotta tell ya, I was on that site earlier and was hoping they had the fixed aluminum triangular ones.

Like this, but aluminum
WEST MARINE Step at West Marine
Old 13-11-2012, 00:45   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Thank you there Stumble. I gotta tell ya, I was on that site earlier and was hoping they had the fixed aluminum triangular ones.

Like this, but aluminum
Yes, you will have long term problems with electolysis. I wouldnt fit them as its a lot of stainless steel in contact with your mast even if you try isolating the SS with pads and Duralac. Go for folding aluminium ones instead or make your own fixed ones. You don't want to compromise mast integrity.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 05:41   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post

Like this, but aluminum
As a practical matter, you could easily make those up in your garage or shop with aluminum flat bar and a jig. The flat bar is inexpensive and easily bent and can be worked with common woodworking tools. If hardwood footpads were made up and are adaquately fastened, the bar would likely not be subject to bending as would unreinforced bar under a person's weight. The difficulty, however, would/will be fastening the footpads to the bar and the "stirrups" to the mast, considering the dissimilar metals issue.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 06:22   #6
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
We have a 30year old mast with stainless cage style steps that have been on there at least 10 years. I only just drilled out a dozen or so rivets on three of the steps as preventative maintenance and replaced them last year. There is no corrosion at all on the mast under or near the steps, mast is unpainted. All the rivets were aluminium as well, which is something frequently overlooked.

Not sure how big a problem this is, different then a stainless screw buried in an aluminum thread in a mast where there is sustained contact across a water bridge.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 07:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

As a metal worker I can see that making them and even welding them to a mast would not be a problem. But with the new mast stepper, I would wonder why. I also hate my lines getting caught on the mast.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 08:02   #8

Great idea about the flat bar! I think I will look into that! I hate tangled lines around the steaming light.
Old 13-11-2012, 08:08   #9

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Boatsail
I guess the SS steps are easier to sell.

If it is aluminum, you need to identify the grade, as some are really brittle.

The plastic ones posted by Stumble looks good, but there is no specs as to how much weight they can sustain, not that I am heavy, but just to see if they have been tested and at how much. Also there are an awful lot of crews too close together to hold them to the mast, a stress point?

My mast had three-legged SS steps with 3 #10 SS screws, well protected for galvanic reactions, and in 10 years not a problem. Also with the 3-legged (one up and two at the bottom) the lines would not snag. For my current boat I am also looking for the same kind as I had.

Even with aluminum steps, you still need to attach them with SS screws – if you use pop rivets they will chafe your internal halyards or wires. Also, IMO aluminum pop rivets are not as strong as screws, they can vibrate loose, and I would not want to worry about that 50 feet up the stick.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 16:16   #10

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to fabricate myself and then drill and tap.
Old 13-01-2013, 19:07   #11

Just wanted to thank all that posted on this thread. I have started a new thread since I am working on my winter boat projects. Once again, looking for advice.

check it out.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1129549

I started the new thready because it is a different subject and figured some might be able to use the search feature in the future to do a similar project, but still wanted to follow up on this thread. To often a thread dies and nobody follows up letting the contributors know of the outcome. Getting ready to build them and install soon.
Old 14-01-2013, 06:40   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Given the vast width (size 13, 6E) of my feet, I have considered this question from a DIY point of view. I have concluded that it may be more logical to go the topclimber route and to have just two steps four or so feet from the mast top. That is useful for when you wish to stand comfortably while crimping an antenna or changing a bulb or servicing sheaves, etc.

I would consider putting a second set below the topmost spreaders for the rare situation when I need to put my wife or son (the lighter, smaller crew) on "coral head watch" as the angle of the dangle improves the view of the crew.

Under such circumstances and height above the weak electrolyte, I suspect I could simply install two pairs of folding steps with the usual isolating goo and whatnot.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:51   #13

Ok....Update. My dad worked for Goddard and AAI his entire life. Fabricating sheetmetal. I told him about the project and he got me the correct aluminum from a friend. FREE too! Helped me bend em up. This is what he did for a living. They are awesome. I did order one step from west marine so I had a template to copy. I will be putting them on with 6 aluminum rivets each. They are awesome. I am going to be over there this weekend and see if I can get some pics to show. Thanks for the advice in regards to fabricating them myself. It was easy, but for some reason, I did not even think of it as my first choice. That is weird too since I do every single job that the boat needs. They are going to be gonig on sometime in the next couple of weeks! Really can't wait. I will definately post photos to show thanks to those who gave advice.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:06   #14

Boat: islandpacket
Just my thought. But I would rather have a rounded pop rivet poking inside my mast than a pointed stainless screw in regards to wiring
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Just my thought. But I would rather have a rounded pop rivet poking inside my mast than a pointed stainless screw in regards to wiring
That is my thinking. My Dad did this stuff on space shuttles. He recommended the rivets instead of screws.

Tags
mast