Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 07:03   #1

Aluminum Bimini and Dodger

Has anyone built a dodger or Bimini from Sheet aluminum? I have seen many built from fiberglass and the Wavestopper built from Starboard.

I would think that aluminum benefits from being able to stand up to the environment better than canvas and can be painted to match any exterior. The side curtains would be make from canvas and polycarbonite or vinyl.

My own full enclosure is coming to its useful life and am thinking of a replacement.

Any Thoughts or examples would be helpful.
f136661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:34   #2

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36
Re: Aluminum Bimini and Dodger

Hi - I've done two solid dodgers - one out of wooden and one out of aluminum. The wooden one started out as the "buck" for the aluminum one but was on the boat for 5-years before we finally switched to aluminum.

Making a wooden "buck" is a smart way to go as you can do it very quickly (we did ours in 2 days) and it lets you see what an aluminum one will look like. You can also see if you can really fit under it and that there is clearance between the boom/mainsheet and the dodger.

It is really important to make sure the dodger looks "right", like it is part of the original design of the boat. This is where making it out of wood really helps - wood is cheap and very easy to work with so you can make any needed changes easily.

If you are not putting in safety glass windows, you can - if you have a person who can weld very well - use only 1/8" thick aluminum. We put in 1/4" safety glass windows, so used 1/4" marine grade aluminum for the entire dodger.

We went with safety glass as it doesn't discolor or scratch and can be easily cleaned.

Needless to say, the finished didger is unbelievably strong and very heavy.

To have the full aluminum one made, with custom made glass windows and a modified Lewmar opening hatching for the "front" window, the cost was about $3500 and it ended up weighing about 170-lbs. I did some of the fabrication, but most was done at a shop.

I got a quote for a stainless frame/fabric dodger and it was close to $4000, so price wise - eventhough you are dealing with apples and watermelons - the cost's are very close. However, you will never have to replace an aluminum model.

We totally love ours and think it is worth every penny we spent on it.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send you pictures of the whole event and the story that goes with it.

Doug
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 14:02   #3

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Doug, do you have photos of your dodger and bimini? If please post them.

Thanks,
Bill
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 17:00   #4

Hi - I have never had any luck getting photos onto this site. If someone wants to walk me thru it one step at a time, I'll try.

Or I can e-mail you the pictures and you can download them to the site.

However, I think it might be easier for you to send me your e-mail in a PM and I'll just send you the photos.

Doug
Old 09-04-2014, 22:05   #5

Or if anyone wants to contact me about the dodger/pictures, I'm at:

dk9betts
at
gmail
.net

Tags