Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2011, 10:28   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Aluminium Boat Pros and Cons - Opinions ?

To blanket label US built aluminum boats as junk is inaccurate. Additionally, if there were major problems with aluminum then all of the below companies would be building their boats out of fiberglass.

Aluminum sailing vessels have a bad reputation because of all the amateur backyard builders who have built sketchy aluminum sailboats.

One of the major advantages of building with aluminum is that it does not require a mold. Molds are too expensive to make for a custom boat where probably only one boat will ever be cast from that mold.

If you do an aluminum paint job correctly to begin with and you do not ding the paint, the paint can last for a long time.

Aluminum boats also have a higher strength to weight ratio than fiberglass boats.

American aluminum boat manufacturers.....

Moose Boats :: Welcome

Kvichak Marine Industries -- Seattle, Washington

SeaArk Marine - Quality Work Boats Built For What You Do

Munson Aluminum Boats - Custom welded aluminum boats, landing craft, workboats, patrol boats, fire boats, passenger boats, dive boats, research boats, fishing boats, boom boats

All American Marine - High Speed Catamarans, Excursion & Charter Boats

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 10:59   #17

Boat: private yacht always moving

Might want to consider taking a look at this web site

Expedition Sail

They have boat build photos from start to finish. Boat is built by Kantar. The boat has been to both to the Arctic and Antarctica.

captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 11:05   #18

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Aluminum sailing vessels have a bad reputation because of all the amateur backyard builders who have built sketchy aluminum sailboats.
Talk about blanket statements!

Several years ago, 1997(?), I was inspecting a 95' trawler yacht being constructed at one of my father's client companies. In one hull weld we found a gas pocket of about 1.5" with a width almost as much as the bead width, yet, from visual observation, the weld looked good. The company had much experience in aluminum marine vessel fabrication & I knew, or later worked with, the welders & fitters on this yacht. It is very easy for a weld in Al to be contaminated.

I would suggest not using a surveyor - unless you can find one that knows metal boat fabrication. Rather, I'd suggest finding someone who is experienced in welding & fabricating Al marine vessels & hiring him/her to inspect the boat, prior to having an over-all survey of the boat. A well-built Aluminum sailboat is a great thing, but, like every hull material, it does have it's own issues. If you buy it, make sure that everyone who steps onboard puts their loose change in a jar, so you don't end up with a penny finding it's way into your hull.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 12:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Aluminum boats also have a higher strength to weight ratio than fiberglass boats.
That's why all modern race boats, including the ones where price is no object, are made of ..... aluminum?

Aluminum is a great material for larger, 15m+, boats. Especially if you like the corroded gray look. Which I don't mind.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 12:47   #20

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

have no experince with the ali but you may want to look at this web site and contact them ,
Skip Novak email skipnovak@pelagic.co.uk or Skip Novak's Pelagic Expeditions Antarctica, Greenland, South Georgia, Cape Horn, Southern Ocean -- charter sailing yacht Pelagic, photographs, articles

he may be able to give you answers you are looking for
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 13:36   #21
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

omg, what a gorgeous boat Bali Hi is. I saw my first Kanter in Port Stanley ON several years ago, sitting at the dock waiting to be picked up by its owner.
Love at first sight. But way way beyond my budget.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Talk about blanket statements!

Several years ago, 1997(?), I was inspecting a 95' trawler yacht being constructed at one of my father's client companies. In one hull weld we found a gas pocket of about 1.5" with a width almost as much as the bead width, yet, from visual observation, the weld looked good. The company had much experience in aluminum marine vessel fabrication & I knew, or later worked with, the welders & fitters on this yacht. It is very easy for a weld in Al to be contaminated.

No doubt that fabricated boats like aluminum ones can have imperfections and as you said, sometimes not that obvious. I know some of the best alum boat welders in the PNW, and they dont make many mistakes, but they are the upper 5%. Problems can occur in fiberglass also. I once looked at a brand new Pac Sea Craft that had a huge crack in the deck behind the cockpit. It came to the dealer that way and wasnt even completely unwrapped when I looked at it. Evidently the resin mix was too hot and cracked as it cured. Probably the mixer got out of whack or something.
It was mentioned that one of the downsides to Alum is keeping paint on it. No doubt about that! My friends had a 48 foot aluminum cutter (built by Luke or Sam Morse... cant remember) They had it painted 3 times, maybe 4 times in 10 years.
What I dont understand is why you see all the French built Alum boats in the Carribean with no paint and NO filler/fairing? Are they easier to build designs?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote