Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-04-2016, 13:14   #16

Re: Alternative to cheaply engineered overpriced nicro vents?

Mine is out of warranty many years ago but I was able to remove the battery and motor both of which were bad I was reluctant to open the motor which was not intended to be serviced but what was there to loose? by cleaning the brushes and commutator by rubbing with a piece of paper and putting a drop of oil in the bushings it is humming away again

Old 08-04-2016, 16:47   #17

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

It's hard to believe that looking at my aft companionway now that's $400 worth of solar vents. Especially considering one of them is already in dire straights. The 2 screws that hold the battery compartment on cracked when I reassembled it. The same one had a bad screw that holds the stainless on, when I removed it the plastic it was screwed in to broke and came out stuck to the screw. Probably a bad batch of cheap plastic.

Sent from somewhere in the Pacific

Old 09-04-2016, 05:01   #18

Sounds like you have a business opportunity. Build a better mousetrap and take their cheese.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:57   #19
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
It's hard to believe that looking at my aft companionway now that's $400 worth of solar vents. Especially considering one of them is already in dire straights. The 2 screws that hold the battery compartment on cracked when I reassembled it. The same one had a bad screw that holds the stainless on, when I removed it the plastic it was screwed in to broke and came out stuck to the screw. Probably a bad batch of cheap plastic.

Sent from somewhere in the Pacific
You have to be gentle when dealing with plastic.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:26   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You can't suck air out of the boat with a fan or anything else unless there's a hole for replacement air to enter. I stopped using mine because what air it did bring through the boat came through the bilge and engine compartment. Other than the engine vents, the boat is air tight (more or less).
Several "Someone's" screwed up when both designing, & building your boat. As creating Good, AND, highly water resistant ventillation for boats, is ancient technology.
Much of the time, there are even primers covering several ways on how to do it, in the West marine catalog. At least the last time I looked.

There are even off the shelf deck hatches which have several settings for dogging them down. Two of the 3 of them being purpose designed to allow for ventillation in most conditions, but for when green water is coaming the decks.

That aside; Nigel Calder, the ABYC, Professional Boatbuilder, & many, many other references, have Loads of information on this topic.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, engine, engineer, price

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: