Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-09-2015, 08:57   #1

Boat: 1975 Cape Dory 25
Already thinking Spring!

Just getting to the end of my first year with Coquina (my first boat). With an eye to next spring I am considering the purchase of a Drillmaster 7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander currently on sale for $30 at Harborfreight to care for the topside (bulkheads and lazzerette) and above waterline gelcoat.

Looking into the "most helpful" review for the unit it was indicated that a 5" Meguiars W68 rotary backing plate is recommended.

Onto Amazon I see that there are finishing pads, polishing pads, and cutting pads that are "frequently purchased" with the above mentioned backing plate.

I have never used a polisher/sander and my questions are:

1) For the limited 1-2x/year use I envision will this inexpensive sander /polisher meet my needs? Also see #4.

2) What are the various uses for the different pads? And what are the associated steps/products to use in conjunction?

3) If i decide on painting my bottom as well: when does one need to sand to prepare as opposed to just cleaning well and adding an additional coat or two?

4) I am aware if I do plan on sanding I would need a higher end unit with vacuum attachment.

5) Am I correct to assume that I will also be needing a generator?

Thanks for the help

Jeff
Old 30-09-2015, 01:17   #2

Re: Already thinking Spring!

There are so many brands and types of botom paint the only thing to do is follow what the manufacturer says to the letter. Some can be painted over with almost anything, others can only be painted over by the same brand and type of paint only.
One of the popular bottom paints in my area is VC17, you can only go over it with VC17. If you want to change to something else it all has to come off.
That is not an endorsement I don't use VC17, personally didn't want to make the commitment or face stripping the bottom. The racers love it, it can be polished....I don't race.
As far as a generator - do you need power where there is none? I have a gene for work, can honestly say I've never taken it to my boat as there is power there. I'm assuming you mean while you're working on the boat as your questions are all about maintenance.
Question 4 - That depends where you are doing the work, some places you can't sand anything without all the enviro stuff, other places have at it who cares, wear a respirator though either way. I may have read that in California only specialized companies can remove bottom paint.
As far as the pads, the product you are applying should tell you on the package which pad to use and detailed instructions on rpm etc, best to follow their suggestions.
I don't think the sell drillmaster in Canada, can't recall ever seeing any of their tools ever at work or just looking at tools in stores. I think we have something like Jobmaster(?) may be the same?, typical home owner grade tools, wouldn't expect them to last long on the job 50 hours a week, couple times a year on a boat probably last.
Old 30-09-2015, 07:48   #3

Boat: 1975 Cape Dory 25
Re: Already thinking Spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
There are so many brands and types of botom paint the only thing to do is follow what the manufacturer says to the letter. Some can be painted over with almost anything, others can only be painted over by the same brand and type of paint only.
One of the popular bottom paints in my area is VC17, you can only go over it with VC17. If you want to change to something else it all has to come off.
That is not an endorsement I don't use VC17, personally didn't want to make the commitment or face stripping the bottom. The racers love it, it can be polished....I don't race.
As far as a generator - do you need power where there is none? I have a gene for work, can honestly say I've never taken it to my boat as there is power there. I'm assuming you mean while you're working on the boat as your questions are all about maintenance.
Question 4 - That depends where you are doing the work, some places you can't sand anything without all the enviro stuff, other places have at it who cares, wear a respirator though either way. I may have read that in California only specialized companies can remove bottom paint.
As far as the pads, the product you are applying should tell you on the package which pad to use and detailed instructions on rpm etc, best to follow their suggestions.
I don't think the sell drillmaster in Canada, can't recall ever seeing any of their tools ever at work or just looking at tools in stores. I think we have something like Jobmaster(?) may be the same?, typical home owner grade tools, wouldn't expect them to last long on the job 50 hours a week, couple times a year on a boat probably last.
Thanks, that helps a lot. I can check with the marina to see what bottom paint they have been using and confirm access to electric service where the boat will be on the hard. Suppose I can go ahead and get the polishing/sander unit now with the correct backing plate and wait until the spring to grab the right pads and product from the marina's store.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: