Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 12:25   #16

Hmmm first thing that comes up with alloy boats is corosion.. Intresting
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 12:34   #17

Re: Alloy yachts

generalisms:
Aluminum must be engineered very well, it's far more "bendy" than steel.
Aluminum often likes to shed paint about every 3 years or so... unless you are lucky. As mentioned, a bad "electrical potential" can cause huge damage...very quickly.
Aluminum requires special attention to bottom paints etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 12:43   #18

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by d design View Post
What are the pros and cons of an aluminiun alloy yacht?
I own an aluminum boat. The biggest con is trying to get paint to stick to it. Many people forgot topside paint for that reason, but it will still need bottom paint. Before you can apply bottom paint, you need to apply a primer/barrier coat, the application of which is complex, time consuming, and expensive.

Another concern is stray current corrosion from the boat's own electrical system. However, with proper wiring practices, and maintenance one should be able to avoid any problems.
Old 25-02-2014, 18:15   #19

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by d design View Post
Hmmm first thing that comes up with alloy boats is corosion.. Intresting
My choice in mentioning a "con" (corrosion) first has nothing to do with its importance relative to other factors.

I chose to mention a "Con" first because (as an aluminum boat owner) I did not want to come across a horn blowing, self-congratulating, look at how great I am, my boat is better than everybody else's, biased, jerk.

BTW, I do like my boat better than everyone else's but it has nothing to do with what it is made out of.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

My choice in mentioning a "con" (corrosion) first has nothing to do with its importance relative to other factors.

I chose to mention a "Con" first because (as an aluminum boat owner) I did not want to come across a horn blowing, self-congratulating, look at how great I am, my boat is better than everybody else's, biased, jerk.

BTW, I do like my boat better than everyone else's but it has nothing to do with what it is made out of.

Steve
+1 on that
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 22:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Stu - there's always something known as a "sunupper". Remember, the sun is always over the yardarm somewhere……………….
Is that like dinch or lunner?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 02:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
generalisms:
Aluminum must be engineered very well, it's far more "bendy" than steel.
No argument with your other points which I didn't quote, and I also agree aluminium must be well engineered, but I disagree slightly on the main reason.

An aluminium panel the same weight as a steel panel of the same length and breadth, will be so much thicker as to more than bring the stiffness back on a par with steel.

Even though the inherent stiffness of aluminium is only one-third that of steel, the overriding factor is that stiffness goes up with the third power of thickness, and aluminium is one-third the weight of steel:

However in practice aluminium boats are almost always built to be lighter, so here's a more realistic comparison:

An aluminium panel for a boat equivalent to one which would use 3mm steel will probably be 5mm thick, which will weigh 55% as much as the steel panel, but it will actually be over 1.5 times as stiff.

(for the latter figure: [5mm/3mm]^3 for the added stiffness due to thicker panel, multiplied by one third for the lower inherent stiffness of aluminium as a material)

My take is that the main engineering difficulty is because welds in marine aluminium never attain the strength of the parent metal, and even to approach that strength requires careful design to ensure good access with the welding gun, the lowest possible distortion, avoidance of triaxial stresses, and other somewhat tricky factors.

On top of this it's difficult to weld in comparison with steel; it's hard to get good fusion at the same time as minimal distortion and porosity. At least, it's hard to do that consistently.
Welds which look good can be crappy, whereas in steel that is not usually true.
Welding equipment is considerably more expensive than for steel. (Having just had to replace mine, it hurts)

Aluminium is certainly softer and less abrasion resistant than steel. However it's still a lot more abrasion resistant than fibreglass or wood.

It can burn in a fire, given sufficiently intense heat. Steel is (for all marine purposes) fireproof.

Against this it's a delight to cut and shape, in comparison to steel; it's more like wood in speed and ease of sawing and planing (except the shavings are much less friendly).

The scrap value is much higher than steel, which helps offset a bit of the added material cost. Actually I think it's one of the better value marine materials, all things considered, presuming the welding expenses can be spread over a number of builds.

The diminished corrosion difficulties of aluminium vs steel (to my way of thinking) tip the balance, particularly for unpainted hulls, to where the good points outweigh the bad. Neither metal will cope as well with neglect as a heavily built fibreglass boat, but aluminium will cope a lot better than wood.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 03:16   #23

Boat: Traditional 30

Old Aluminium that hasnt been cared for by previous owners. Sad for Nike ( her name not her shoes)

ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 03:46   #24

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Had an aluminum boat and never again. It was a 25' sea arc ram commander new cost 6 figures at 5 years old was a POS from welds falling apart and holes from current?Talked to owners of a newer aluminum 40' mono at a yard and it was wearing them out w zincs, paint and corrosion. Aluminum +salt water,, no way. People have a hard enough time protecting saildrives long term now you want an entire boat made out of it.....

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 04:44   #25

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Is that like dinch or lunner?
Something like that. I need soothing to brace myself before I take a sunrise sight with my sextant. Same for the noonsite and the sunset site. In between, I need a bracer to help with the math.

Life's really tough when you're cruiser

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:25   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Old Aluminium that hasnt been cared for by previous owners. Sad for Nike ( her name not her shoes)

Jesus I'm depressed after that , what a sad video

Dave
Old 26-02-2014, 12:40   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

another one for the wannabees thread, ...........

my advice, rip out all the dodgy electrical installation that caused the problem in the first place,cut out the bad bits and weld in new plates over the affected areas.

if she only paid $5000 dollars for the boat,i have no sympathy over $5000 worth of repairs......you pays your penny ,you takes your ride............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:46   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
another one for the wannabees thread, ...........

my advice, rip out all the dodgy electrical installation that caused the problem in the first place,cut out the bad bits and weld in new plates over the affected areas.

if she only paid $5000 dollars for the boat,i have no sympathy over $5000 worth of repairs......you pays your penny ,you takes your ride............

Ah Jesus atoll , have a heart. The boats f€&ked, other then burning it , repairing its a waste of time.

Dave
Old 26-02-2014, 12:54   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ah Jesus atoll , have a heart. The boats f€&ked, other then burning it , repairing its a waste of time.

Dave
i haven't watched all the vids but it is hardly f***ed,the beauty of metal is you can cut out the bad bits and replace them,i live on a 63 ft alloy boat so know a litte bit about it.

it might be a bit of a set back,but repairing is far cheaper than replacing.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:58   #30
Nearly an old salt

Alloy yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i haven't watched all the vids but it is hardly f***ed,the beauty of metal is you can cut out the bad bits and replace them,i live on a 63 ft alloy boat so know a litte bit about it.

it might be a bit of a set back,but repairing is far cheaper than replacing.

Atoll the whole bottom of that boat is compromised. Potentially the diesel tanks are compromised. The materials and labour are more then the boats worth. The whole bottom needs replating .

She bought a POS.

Dave