Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 13:04   #31

Thats really sad. I think welding in new metal is the way to go. Im currently glueing new wood into my boat what sort of grade of al alloy is used to build these boats? Imagine building a boat out of 7075 T9 the Japanese Zero fighters were made of 7075 and they went through a lot of stress and straining.
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 13:08   #32

When I buy a boat or a friend is gona buy a boat, I go around with an inspection hammer and tap everywere. I can recognise the different frequencies and when I hear low frequencies I get a bigger hammer and start bashing it until all the rot falls out and the buyer thanks me for saving their ass.
Old 26-02-2014, 13:09   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Alloy yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Atoll the whole bottom of that boat is compromised. Potentially the diesel tanks are compromised. The materials and labour are more then the boats worth. The whole bottom needs replating .

She bought a POS.

Dave

presumably there were people telling her not to buy a POS in the first place,but she chose not to listen........

she could just wack a coat of epoxy and cloth over the bottom and be good to go if she is just living the dream...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 13:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

presumably there were people telling her not to buy a POS in the first place,but she chose not to listen........

she could just wack a coat of epoxy and cloth over the bottom and be good to go if she is just living the dream...........
Dont forget the bog
Old 26-02-2014, 13:10   #35
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Alloy yachts

Quote:

Long day is it, atoll, ..... Not feeling the love, bad hair, or something

Dave
Old 26-02-2014, 13:25   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Long day is it, atoll, ..... Not feeling the love, bad hair, or something

Dave
i should probably explain my position better
,as i have 2friends/ customers,both single women who chose to buy large aluminium yachts,of the shoal draft variety.

neither have the slightest clue about the ins and outs of dc electircs
on their boats!
both are world class sailors,and single handers!

over the last few years i get phone calls from them in the middel of the night
asking about what might happen ,and will their boats corrode if such and such happens,or if it is okay if they just add a bit of wiring..........

i have no sympathy....buy a boat that you understand....and one that you can fix at your skill level.....or be prepared to pay others to do it for you .... or learn how to.......but don't phone me up in the middel of the night when you dropped a wire in the bilge
Old 26-02-2014, 13:46   #37

Quote:

i should probably explain my position better
,as i have 2friends/ customers,both single women who chose to buy large aluminium yachts,of the shoal draft variety.

neither have the slightest clue about the ins and outs of dc electircs
on their boats!
both are world class sailors,and single handers!

over the last few years i get phone calls from them in the middel of the night
asking about what might happen ,and will their boats corrode if such and such happens,or if it is okay if they just add a bit of wiring..........

i have no sympathy....buy a boat that you understand....and one that you can fix at your skill level.....or be prepared to pay others to do it for you .... or learn how to.......but don't phone me up in the middel of the night when you dropped a wire in the bilge
Haha lol
Old 26-02-2014, 13:58   #38

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d design View Post
What are the pros and cons of an aluminiun alloy yacht?
Quote:
Not buying or building, just for intrest
Try the search option on the forum. The Aluminum boat topic has been covered multiple times.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 14:09   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Old Aluminium that hasnt been cared for by previous owners. Sad for Nike ( her name not her shoes)

This should be the video everyone watches before taking on a prodject like this. I have built 3 steels from scratch, 2 of my own. On other steels I have seen the same as in the video, only slower. Not to say, I havn't had to deal with F/G issues, like delaming decks. I feel for the girl. She had a dream. Probably if she is a bottom buck person, it is best to strip it and try to recoup her money and start over. My opinion. After steel, I found F/G was more suited to my talents, even though I'm a Machinist and welder.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 26-02-2014, 14:11   #40

Quote:
When I buy a boat or a friend is gona buy a boat, I go around with an inspection hammer and tap everywere. I can recognise the different frequencies and when I hear low frequencies I get a bigger hammer and start bashing it until all the rot falls out and the buyer thanks me for saving their ass.
If I was the owner of that boat and saw you bashing it with a hammer, I would turn it around and check your body out with the hammer and see what rot falls off.
Old 26-02-2014, 14:23   #41

Then you would be charged with assult or murder depending on how hard you hit
Old 26-02-2014, 14:29   #42

Quote:
Then you would be charged with assult or murder depending on how hard you hit
Yes...but no more rot...
Old 26-02-2014, 15:49   #43

Are you trying to tell me im full of rot? I probably am but theres no point in showing your rot too
Old 26-02-2014, 15:52   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you trying to tell me im full of rot? I probably am but theres no point in showing your rot too
old saying...."men and ships rot in port".......it might be generic
Old 26-02-2014, 16:50   #45

Quote:
Thats really sad. I think welding in new metal is the way to go.....

what sort of grade of al alloy is used to build these boats? Imagine building a boat out of 7075 T9 the Japanese Zero fighters were made of 7075 and they went through a lot of stress and straining.
Hulls are 5xxx, 6xxx OK above the waterline

As for making hulls from 7075: the boat would end up as a colander rather more quickly than the OP's clip

Copper is a deadly enemy to alu in a marine context, and in the case of 7075 (and the other common aerospace alloy, 2024) it's the enemy within. It is an alloying constituent, one which is apparently indispensable to very high tensile strength alu alloys.

"Constituent particle corrosion" is inevitable when these alloys are immersed in seawater. Particles containing copper become cathodic and attack the metal around them.

However 7075 does get used in marine applications, for instance for masts, notably by parents who wish smaller people sharing their surname to sail their Optimist (or whatever) into the record books.

And in due course, even 'normal' parents with more realistic aspirations for their kids feel compelled to emulate.

PS: I lost this post when i was about to send. The ability to continue typing was lost, and even scrolling the text - so I had to rewrite from scratch. Has happened now a couple of times, and I'm wondering if it happens when a PM comes through (a few moments later) - because that seems to be a common thread.

Anyone had this?
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote