Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 05:46   #1

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30
allied chance 30 30 hardware

I'm a novice sailor. Grew up on bass boats,Jon boats,and spent a summer renting hobie cats on Panama City beach. I recently purchased a 1972 allied chance 30 30. It seems the previous owner pulled all the IOR rated hardware off,and replaced it with less hardy modern stuff,because every time I take her out I break something. Any ideas on where I can get reasonably priced replacements? The boat is great! Sails like a dream, but I'd like to get her beefed back up. Especially since the things that are Breaking are going under pleasnt sailing conditions. Don't want to find out what happens if things get extreme conditions. Does anyone know who supplied the hardware for the Allied company? Another question is,what the heck are all the extra halyards for? Figure 1 is for the spinnaker,but are the other two,including one on the forward edge of the mast that only goes about halfor way up? Any info on the boat,or leads to where I can get info on the number built (since my understanding is she's fairly rare),how you can tell what number hull I have,and possibly, the history of this particular vessel. Thanks,be interested in hearing anything Pertaining to the boat.
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 06:12   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: allied chance 30 30 hardware

What kind of hardware is braking? Be a bit more specific - replacements do not need to be like the originals, but able to take the loads and be properly installed.
There is an active Allied owners group in Yahoo - you may be able to find other Chance owners.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/alliedboatco/info
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 06:27   #3

Well,I've broken the boom vangs where they attach to the mast foot forward, and the track in the cockpit. After inspecting the other hardware, let's be kind,and say they are less than robust. I appreciate your straight forwardness,and I understand I can go modern. Probably will,but I'd still like to know. Curiosity has come close to getting me more than once. I'll check out the Allied folks as you've suggested. It's all relatively new to me,but I've been living on the water for the last 5 years. It's the sailboat part that's revealing my ignorance. Thanks again.
Old 23-03-2015, 08:12   #4

Boat: csy 37

The one on the front of the mast that only goes half way up is the spinnaker pole lift.

Doesnt really matter who supplied the original blocks and sail control hardware. Get high quality replacements, oversized if you are really worried, from Schaeffer, Harken, Wichard, or my favorite, Garhauer.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 08:23   #5

Sounds reasonable. I've tryed to sign up to the Allied group as previously suggested, but there seems to be a problem with the site. I'm no purest,so modern is fine with me, but I am of German decent, and belive in over engineering. Rather have it,and not need it,etc. I am,however, a history buff,and I'll still be interested in finding out about this particular vessel. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 23-03-2015, 19:57   #6

I'm not of German descent, but I also believe in overengineering. I nearly always buy one size larger on all boat hardware including anchors and chain.

Allied boats were built in upstate New York along the Hudson river, not far from where I lived. Nearly all of their boats were designed as solid cruisers and they had a good reputation for quality materials and construction. The boat you have is known as the Chance 30/30 and was a departure from their usual line. As far as I know it was the only Allied designed with racing in mind. Britton Chance was a well known race boat designer back then.

I know of one sailor who has owned and cruised one for many years.
Old 24-03-2015, 04:33   #7

After I Googled the boat,I sort of lost my, normally, skeptical attitude,and didn't look at details. Duh, picked the boat up,and noticed a couple nice snatch blocks had been changed on the toe rail. Allstars fair in horse trading. I do have the boat. I'll make it right. Thanks for your advice.
Old 24-03-2015, 05:22   #8
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinbob1 View Post
After I Googled the boat,I sort of lost my, normally, skeptical attitude,and didn't look at details. Duh, picked the boat up,and noticed a couple nice snatch blocks had been changed on the toe rail. Allstars fair in horse trading. I do have the boat. I'll make it right. Thanks for your advice.
Congrats, you've made a good choice, she's a sweet boat...

I've owned Hull #1 for almost 20 years, the first boat to have been popped out of this mold back in 1970... I found the graveyard of the old Allied molds in a farmer's field on a hill outside of Amsterdam, NY years ago, it's my understanding they have all since been destroyed...

For a boat of her size, she'll make a decent little cruising boat... Mine has gotten around a bit, and has been featured in CRUISING WORLD a few times, most recently a couple of months ago...

Mine has been heavily modified and essentially rebuilt from the original... Allieds were pretty Plain Jane compared to the production boats of today, but they are exceedingly stout, she'll take good care of you...

Check out this thread on Sailnet, there's more info on the Chance 30-30, and the modifications I've made to mine, in particular...

Allied Chance 30-30 - SailNet Community
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 10:26   #9

Thanks for the leads. I'm honored you took the time. I have read some of the threads of your travels. I think I'll stick with the Gulf of Mexico, for now, and the Caribbean once I'm proficient. Nice to know she'll handle more than I'm likely to ask. How do I determine which hull I have? I'll follow up the leads you've given. Keep her sailing, and I'll do my best to do mine the justice she deserves. Thanks again. PS. I'd include a photo, but haven't figured out how on my phone. Any ideas? Asks for a URL,and I'm just sending from my phone file. Beautiful Day!
Old 24-03-2015, 16:13   #10

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Goo gear does not have to cost a fortune. You can get strong or you can get light cheaply, it's strong and light that costs and it's only really needed racing. I have had good results using Barton gear and prices are half makes like winchard.
I generally try to estimate loads, failing that what size rope does it take and what is it's break load? Go for gear that give about 1/2 break load of its rope and you should be OK. Some gear is sold as recomended for a boat of a set size ie 40ft. Not very useful as what matters is weight but when this is the only spec I go for at least 40ft rating for a 32ft boat.
Final point, all gear advice from makers and many chandlers is for coastal sailing and light duty. That means a few weeks per year and not in ocean wave conditions. Go up one or preferably two on what they suggest for cruising.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 16:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I know of one sailor who has owned and cruised one for many years.
And the sailor I was thinking of was, Jon Eisberg! I knew of him many years ago when I used to post on the Cruising World forum.
Old 24-03-2015, 16:54   #12

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Here's the URL for information on your Allied 30-30

CHANCE 30-30 (ALLIED) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Your boat has a 'baby stay' that helps bend the mast for stabilizing/shaping the mast. It should also have an 'inner stay' for flying a staysail/cutter rig sail.

Should be a nice sailing boat.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 17:00   #13

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Topping Lift for the spinnaker pole--comes out of mast just above the baby stay. Nice.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 17:42   #14

I've had her out in the bay maybe 10 times in the month or so I've had her. I'm no sailboat sailor,yet,but she handles beautifully, turns on a dime,and holds a course with very little input,and I'm pretty sure the Formica is original, got some seriously ugly upholstery,but all the important stuff is here. I paid $5000,and she'd only been back in the water a couple months after a bottom job,and hull paint. Not a great paint job,and I'm not fond of black. I'll keep your advice in mind. The folks at Island Nautical in St Petersburg are very knowledgeable,and I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me. Still can't figure out how to load a photo from my phone.
Old 24-03-2015, 17:49   #15

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've got an allied of the less speedy persuasion. I think you'll find most of the original makers of the hardware are either defunct or no longer make what you're looking for.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied, hardware