Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2019, 12:47   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53
Allcraft Water Heater - A real longshot question

So, this is a real long shot. I have an Allcraft water heater and it has lasted about 15 years. I really do not want to replace it because I don't think I can find another heater with the quality this one has. Allcraft is out of businesses and has been for some time. Unfortunately, the heat exchanger copper tubing developed a small pin size hole. So, I can only heat water with electricity. (This is why it is a good idea to place shut-off valves in the tubing from the engine to the heat exchanger)

When looking at the of Allcraft instructions and literature, I noted all the models used the same heat exchanger making me think the heat exchanger was an outsourced part for Allcraft. Does anyone happen to know the supplier???? Or, has anyone sourced a like replacement part?

Here is a link to the Allcraft parts. It is part #13 http://dublerfamily.com/Regina_ocean...r%20Heater.PDF
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 14:02   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Allcraft Water Heater - A real longshot question

Are you sure it can't be repaired?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-143490.html

https://www.morganscloud.com/2010/04...ater-problems/

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...-Water-Heaters.

Clive
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 14:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Are you sure it can't be repaired?

Clive
I haven't removed it yet because once I do so, I don't have hot water. So, I am not sure. I would prefer to replace it, if possible.
Old 19-01-2019, 14:52   #4

Have you looked at this website?

ALLCRAFT | MMIMarine.com

http://www.mmimarine.com/mmi/index.p...tem=&cat_id=80

Clive
Old 19-01-2019, 15:05   #5

Why would shutting off valves from the engine help longevity? It's freshwater coolant isnt it?
Also, is it possible other brand heat exchangers would fit or be adaptable?

Based on this view, it looks pretty typical, but why not take it out and have it repaired? That should be easy if just one hole. If not and the end plate that bolts to the tank is good, have new copper tubes brazed on it. If radiators are repairable that certainly is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allcraft Hot Water Heater-4.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	184142  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 16:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I got all excited there for a second but the site has no Allcraft products. But thanks for trying to help.
Old 19-01-2019, 16:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
I got all excited there for a second but the site has no Allcraft products. But thanks for trying to help.

Yes OK. But I thought the pictures of some of the heaters looked so much like the Allcraft product but obviously not....

Clive
Old 19-01-2019, 16:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Why would shutting off valves from the engine help longevity? It's freshwater coolant isnt it?
Also, is it possible other brand heat exchangers would fit or be adaptable?

Based on this view, it looks pretty typical, but why not take it out and have it repaired? That should be easy if just one hole. If not and the end plate that bolts to the tank is good, have new copper tubes brazed on it. If radiators are repairable that certainly is.
Not sure where you read anything regarding helping engine longevity??

I have spent two days searching the internet for a like part to no avail so, if you have a website in mind please share.

I prefer to replace rather than patch.
Old 20-01-2019, 09:24   #9

Boat: Norseman 400

You're correct - Allcraft water heaters are worth fixing instead of replacing. We were lucky that the original owner of our boat bought the spares kit for the water heater and all subsequent owners kept it on board. So when the pressure relief valve blew in Mexico, we were able to fix it.

We changed the pressure relief valve and also replaced the heat exchanger - just because we had one and it had been in use for 30 years. The old heat exchanger we took out was still in great shape so we kept it as a spare. They are really, really stout and, in our opinion, can and should be fixed - instead of replacing the heater.

Get a couple of pipe fittings (a plug and a hose bib). Plug one opening and hook a garden hose to the other opening. Turn on the hose. You should be able to see where the leaks are. After marking the leaks, get it soldered. You might want to use a lead-free solder if you plan on drinking any hot water (tea?) but the exposure would be so minimal that it might not be worth the effort to track down the special solder.

A simple soldering iron and regular solder should do the trick. A new gasket is easy to make out of neoprene gasket material or cork. Trace out the old gasket (or pieces of it) and use a hole punch.

Good luck with the repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0592 Water heater.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	184201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591a Water heater.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	184208  

Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 10:40   #10

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
(snip)Unfortunately, the heat exchanger copper tubing developed a small pin size hole. So, I can only heat water with electricity. (This is why it is a good idea to place shut-off valves in the tubing from the engine to the heat exchanger)
Not really clear on this. Is the pinhole OUTSIDE of the actual tank? Like at the hose barb connection? If the leak was internal, how did you find it? Pink water from the tap?

Anyway, if you can remove the heat exchanger, you can repair it, though I seriously doubt that it could be done with a soldering iron! You'll want a propane torch, a MAPP gas torch would be faster. You'll need to sand the area of the leak to bright clean copper and use the appropriate flux, not just solder. Lots of how-to videos on YouTube for such a repair.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 10:52   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

Torrid is another excellent brand of water heater
Old 20-01-2019, 15:03   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

EXTREME HEALTH ALERT>

If you are leaking antifreeze into your hot water heater tank stop using it immediately and flush it thoroughly. Ethylene glycol is extremely poisonous.

Just closing off valves between the engine and the water heater does not eliminate a small reservoir of anti freeze. If there is no check valve preventing backflow into the cold water system everything from the pressure pump on should be flushed.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 05:23   #13
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

Our Allcraft heater has been working well for 20+ years. When the time comes would much rather repair than replace. Have replaced the electric element a few times but easy to find those at the local hardware store. The heat exchanger on the other hand was promoted as unique to Allcraft and certainly more efficient than others I have experienced.
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 09:33   #14

Hello
I worked for the E.C. Hilliard the company that owned Allcraft 1998-2006, I did most of the engineering after the initial design. the company went out of business, a new owner bought the company at auction and renamed it Hilliard Precision he lasted about 5 years until he also went out of business. While working for the new owner he did not see much profit in Allcraft and stopped any further work. We had a locker full of parts that all got recycled for scrap, or stayed in the building at auction. The part your looking for was called a Heat exchanger it was a casting with 3 bent copper tubes soldered on and the whole thing was chrome plated. the whole design of the tanks was copied from another and meant to be a stainless steel replacement, at one time they were called "Seafarer" you can remove the heat exchange and replace it with a cover and rely on just the heating element, or you could pay a welder to patch up any holes. good luck, send me an email if you have further questions.
Kmocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 01:17   #15

Hello, Kmocker I have a question and stumbled upon this thread. I have a issue with my allcraft water heating tanks. I have chanced the thermostat and inner element ( changed all the electronics) but it seems that my tank keeps blowing the release valve...and the water is boiling hot. I did require the unit to remove the electronic parts from being inside the unit as it was difficult to get to and instead put them inside a plastic electrical box and extended the wires... this way it was much easier for me to get it... I really hope you can help me!
Mbwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water