Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 20:27   #1

Albin Vega '71: Would you or not?

Been looking for a 25' or so dependable boat...found this on C/L near my house:

1971 Albin Vega 27 Sailboat, $1,149, This 5,070 pound (design displacement) sloop-rigged vessel is a "project boat", for sale "as is, where is". It has: mainsail (with sail cover), 3 jibs (a 135, 110, and a 90) (hank attachments), galley, marine head, pedestal steering, all standing/running rigging, mast and boom installed, halyards and sheets, and an outboard engine mount. Sleeps 4 adults. The Vega 27 is a sturdy and seaworthy Scandinavian-built fiberglass vessel, with several having made Atlantic crossings. Problems: No engine (there are some parts left of the disassembled Albin inboard O-22 engine); cockpit floor a little soft; interior starboard hanging locker, icebox cabinet and settee need rebuilding. For further data and hull layout refer to VEGA 27 (ALBIN) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com.

Should I run from OR to this?
johnhharty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 04:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Albin Vega '71: Would you or not?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.

It depends upon whether you want a boat (to sail), or a project.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 07:08   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhharty View Post
Been looking for a 25' or so dependable boat...found this on C/L near my house:

1971 Albin Vega 27 Sailboat, $1,149, This 5,070 pound (design displacement) sloop-rigged vessel is a "project boat", for sale "as is, where is". It has: mainsail (with sail cover), 3 jibs (a 135, 110, and a 90) (hank attachments), galley, marine head, pedestal steering, all standing/running rigging, mast and boom installed, halyards and sheets, and an outboard engine mount. Sleeps 4 adults. The Vega 27 is a sturdy and seaworthy Scandinavian-built fiberglass vessel, with several having made Atlantic crossings. Problems: No engine (there are some parts left of the disassembled Albin inboard O-22 engine); cockpit floor a little soft; interior starboard hanging locker, icebox cabinet and settee need rebuilding. For further data and hull layout refer to VEGA 27 (ALBIN) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com.

Should I run from OR to this?
I would say run from it. You could spend several years and several thousand dollars trying to fix this boat up and what would you end up with? A 44 year old boat probably not worth a lot more than the original price. Actually, a 50 year old boat by the time you get done working on it.

Someone is trying to sell this piece of junk to save themselves the cost of having it cut up and hauled to the landfill.
Old 29-04-2015, 07:27   #4

If it was '71 Hinckley or a Swan it'd be one thing. To restore this Albin (even if it were given to you for free) just does not make any sense other than for someone to occupy his weekends with this project for the next few years.

As my hauler likes to say: "If it has no title, no working engine and no roadworthy trailer you pay me to haul it away. If it has 1 of 3 or 2 of 3 it may be a wash and 3 of 3 I will consider paying you something".
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:13   #5

Boat: Bristol 35

JohnHarty- depends on what you want from the boat. I just got a Bristol 35 that I intend to learn how to take care of a boat on. It is a project but in 2 years I'll be sailling it and will have learned a great deal about boats, maintenance etc. from restoring it. If you are comfortable with the cost involved, have done some homework on what it will take to get in sailing condition then do what you want to do, not what the people on this forum would do. If you go for it then make a blog and keep us updated. If you decided against it- know that boats are available everyday of the year and there's another one that's perfect for you just around the corner.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:25   #6

Bristol 35 is a bit different from Albin 25 as far as the outcome of restoration is concerned. With Bristol you end up with a decent size liveaboard and/or a more comfortable ocean crosser which will certainly justify financial/time commitment for restoration. With Albin you end up with a smallish coastal cruiser which will not be an ideal (or even bearable) liveaboard and will most likely have to be sold to obtain something better suited for a more comfortable liveaboard. And that's when the reality will hit.

I'm actually a proponent of doing "projects" as they teach the doer a great deal about not only the particular boat but boats in general, something that pure sailors with means to buy maintenance for their boats will not learn as much.

But these projects have to be judiciously chosen so as not to be a total waste of time and resources or at least fit in into one's sailing goals. Now if OP's goal is daysailing only I don't see a great value in learning boat maintenance through a project. better then put the time and $$ into a course or two.

So no matter how you slice it thast Albin is not a good candidate for extensive restoration project unless like I said the buyer is bored, has the needed time and $$ and wants a project on his hands to occupy his weekends.
Old 29-04-2015, 08:30   #7

Aside note. About 10 years ago when I got my 1st boat a 27footer semi-project, which took me about 10-15 weekends druing the year to complete, I joined a forum of brand's owners to get advice, etc. There were some with boats in better shape than mine who were "just doing the finishing touches" supposedly to be ready "next season" to splash. Fast forward 5 years when I sold that boat and was ready to stop visiting that forum, most of those people were still not splashed and always coming up with excuses. I'd assume that now, another 5 years later, I'd still find them piddling around their land stuck boats. And I bet you that 95% of the CF members would find those boats splashable as is, if not in a shape to cross the ocean.

So there are project boats and there are project owners. Just make sure you don't become one.
Old 29-04-2015, 08:40   #8

The Vega's are highly touted small boats. The devil is in the detail, if basically the engine is the only major problem and you don't mind big projects it might be good. They are narrow, so it may feel smaller than 27 to you.
I would look at it skeptically and make a list of everything it needs; Batteries , wiring, engine, any rot? etc But just the things listed will take some time to do... a lot of people just never get the list done.. are you one of those? DO you mind spending the day creating dust on everything and yourself? Do you mind laminating fiberglass, itching, and having foul smelling resin all over you?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 09:53   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

"As is Where is.". " Run Forrest, run.".
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 10:24   #10

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun

I would skip this offer. Age is not the problem, but the boat is not particularly seeworthy despite being constructed in Sweden, and despite several circumnavigations and Atlantic crossings. Many traditional boats made by Swedish companies (Hallberg-Rassy, Malö, Najad) are superior regarding quality and seeworthiness. Albin Vega is a compromise between volume, easy sailing and seeworthiness. The boat is OK for coastal sailing but not more. That some have made longer trips with the boat is explained by courage and competence rather than the properties of the boat.
Jan Rydstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 12:09   #11

Boat: Nauticat 32

I'm not really an expert of Albin Vegas, but I note that some people are happy to sail the big seas with this kind of small boats. Check Voyaging Under Sail, Cruising Lealea Home . They also recently helped to bring another cheap Albin Vega back to business.

As GordMay already said, this depends very much on if you are a technically reasonably competent person, interested in spending a lot of time (and some amount of money too) in a long project of refitting the boat, or if you are a person that would prefer easy life and going sailing right away.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 12:18   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Depending on your motivation and your budget with time and cash determines how quickly you will complete the project. I would not attempt another project boat at my age but if you just like to have projects setting around that's another story. I'd rather be sailing.
Old 30-04-2015, 14:07   #13

This is a perfect opportunity to have a great time and end up with a truly fine sloop. Throw away the engine and running gear and seal up the shaft log. A 6 HP 4 stroke on the transom will work fine and give you all that extra space below. Take your time and do good work restoring the interior. Definitely use a simple head with an adequate holding tank. All deck fittings and portholes, etc need to be solid, secure, and watertight. Go through the rig with a fine toothed comb, replace anything 'iffy' and upgrade wherever you can. Have the hull final painted by a pro. When you are done, if you have less than $10,000 in it, you have scored. The boat could be worth $15,000 to $20,000 by then, but DON"T SELL IT! You can now start sailing it ANYWHERE!! Look up a websight on line about the "Vega Around the America's" where a guy sailed a Vega from the Chesapeake bay (I think) up past Nova Scotia, through the Northwest Passage, dawn past California and Mexico, down all the way past South America, up the Atlantic side, and all the way back to where he started from. These are AWESOME boats and have a strong following. You will not be sorry, if this kind of a big restoration project is something you can get into. If not, go get a cheap Hunter and start sailing tomorrow.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:18   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Nothing wrong with a Vega, but don't fall for the allure of a cheap junker. Better to spend a bit extra and buy one in good seaworthy condition. It'll be cheaper in the end. On the other hand, if boat refurbishment is something you enjoy, then go for it.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:27   #15

Boat: Tartan 34C

Yea, this all depends on you...you should answer what you would like to do based on your goals...

For my first boat, I opted to get a decent shaped boat for cheap and learn to sail because that is mainly what I wanted to do.

On my second boat now and this one was more of a project...a project that would still allow me to sail though...I knew this but mainly, I knew this would be a long term project that I would also sail with the work happening little by little...

So again, it all depends on what you want to do this summer...Is this your first boat? Most likely, it sounds like you won't be able to sail this summer with that Vega unless you sail with an iffy boat that might leave you in a bad situation...I prefer to take care of things that matter and keep me safe first, then sail, then beautify/personalize.

If this is not your first boat and you are sure you want this in a boat and know you want this to be a long term boat for sure and don't care about sailing any time soon, go for it!

Don't rely so much on the Vega name...yeah they're stout but so is every mostly every other boat from that era where they were beginning to experience with fiberglass and they built them thick...Just get something simple that finds you for the right price that you can sail now...After you know what you want from a boat from that experience, then consider getting the fixer upper with a ton of work needed for cheap simply because you know it's the boat you want the qualities you want from a boat based on your experience.

Good luck!
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega