Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2014, 06:23   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Airconditioner Venturi

Somebody had posted a link to an AC venturi for the drain, rather than having to plumb in a long hose to drain your AC condensate to the shower sump or bilge, you connect this venturi into the sea water discharge hose, it forms a slight vacuum and draws the condensate out.

Anyone with a link to this? I can't find the post. I don't like draining water into my shower sump, to have it pumped out, and I don't like those long drain hoses.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 06:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Airconditioner Venturi

Mermaid makes such a kit; Called the 'Condensator' think...
Mermaid Condensator / Accessories / Marine Division / Home - Mermaid Manfucturing - Home of Mermaid Marine Air Conditioning & Medi-Kool Climate Controlled Drug Cabinets
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 07:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, that's the one, found it on-line, and it's way too expensive even for a boat part,
gotta be a better way. I know other must have gone down this road already, just gotta do some searching. I do not want to do an electric condensate pump thing, point is to prevent another pump, pump switch, through hull etc.
Old 16-06-2014, 07:43   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

You can easily make your own. The venturi can be purchased at any store which sells water beds (venturi used to empty bed). For the price of a cup of coffee and some spare hose and a T fitting, you can avoid the outrageous markup on the commercially available "Condensator" kits sold to naive boaters.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 09:33   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You can easily make your own. The venturi can be purchased at any store which sells water beds (venturi used to empty bed). For the price of a cup of coffee and some spare hose and a T fitting, you can avoid the outrageous markup on the commercially available "Condensator" kits sold to naive boaters.
Precisely the advice I have had. Apparently, very similar Venturis are used in the tropical fish tank setups. Can't be hard to rig.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 10:05   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I will go the fish tank route, only because it looks to be easier.
Just based off of the picture, I think it has male and female fittings that a standard hose barb will fit, if so then it should be real easy to make work.
Old 16-06-2014, 10:12   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually this one seems to be priced right, and easy to incorporate
Amazon.com : Vktech 3/4inch Irrigation Venturi Fertilizer Injectors Device Garden Water Tube : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 16-06-2014, 13:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think I will go the fish tank route, only because it looks to be easier.
Just based off of the picture, I think it has male and female fittings that a standard hose barb will fit, if so then it should be real easy to make work.
The point is that there's several alternatives to giving the A/C company money better spent on rum. With ice.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 16-06-2014, 13:37   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
The point is that there's several alternatives to giving the A/C company money better spent on rum. With ice.

I agree, do you think the one I posted the link to will work?
Old 17-06-2014, 08:31   #10

Quote:
I think if it doesn't, it's cheap enough to sustain the loss!
Old 17-06-2014, 08:34   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Absolutely! The principle is the same regardless of which one you choose. To state the obvious, make sure it's installed above the heeled water line or include a means of shutting off the ingress of sea water flow.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 17:13   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

I bought one from Dominetic for $150. Unfortunately it is limited to a 4GPM flow, mine is closer to 16... Do you remember the flow rate for the Mermaid unit?

Anyway, all these kits also supply a check valve for the drain line. If you do not have one, it may be possible in certain circumstances for the A/C outflow to backup INTO your drain pan and result in serious flooding if not sinking.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 17:57   #13

Old thread I see,

I have the Mermaid unit on 1 boat, and I made 1 for my second boat copying the Mermaid, and making improvements. The suction hose is plumbed to the condensation unit by means of approx a small 1/8" dia max port. I believe the internal port is smaller yet if I recall, so even less of a sinking risk. It'd take a very long time under the rare conditions for a sinking to be a consideration IMO. Even at $150, its well worth the money for what they do, eliminate condensation/ any standing water. In the unit I made, I have the pickup hose routed to a shower sump box (AC condensation use only) and use it to pull all the water out of the sump box for a 100% dry boat. Just my preference as the pump always leaves a fair amount of water in the box below float shut off level. That pump is just for convenince now, plus a backup incase the condensation gets plugged up. 9 yrs and never an issue though. I played around with our water bed unit as they are same principle, but the flow rate for them is a lot higher than the Mermaid unit and I couldn't get it to work as I wanted, so I then just measured and copied it.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote