Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 02:31   #1

Air Conditioner Makes Bumps on Deck ? Huh ?

Here's something I haven't seen before.

I was thinking of using a room air conditioner through the hatch as so many others do just for a bit of relief at the dock occasionally.

But I just watched something totally weird happen here with someone else's Island Packet. A 26 MKII, I think.

He put a little 5000 BTU frigidaire on the hatch and used a shiny plastic material to make a hood down through the hatch. So it's been on his boat about two weeks and running most of the time. (He lives aboard and it's southern Florida.) Doesn't get real cold or cool the whole cabin but better than nothing.

Yesterday he was doing some work on deck and called me over to have a look. Where the condensate runs down the side of the deck in a thin stream and all around the hatch opening there are now little bumps in what was previously smooth fiberglass. I think this boat is about 25 years old or maybe older but seems to be in really good shape.

What are those bumps and why are they there? Has anyone else ever seen this? Like I said, I was thinking of using an ac like this myself and so I've been searching all the forums I can find for tips and I've never heard anyone mention anything like this at all. But I sure don't want to make bumps all over my boat.

Thanks.

MikeZ
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The only thing I can think of is the AC unit is getting hot and frying the grp. Not good.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:38   #3

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
I'd guess blisters.

Even if the evaporate is cool which reduces blistering it is fresh water which encourages it.

We had microscopic blisters on some parts of the topsides of one of our boats, probably from rain and wash-downs that weren't dried off over the years.

-Sven
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48   #4

You know, I wondered about that fresh water/blister thing. But I noticed that rain water and wash water collect at the sides forward of the drains in the toe rail (I guess because the boat is a bit heavy in the stern) and that water sits there for weeks sometimes but there are no blisters/bumps there. Puzzling.

I don't think the AC is getting hot and frying the fiberglass because the bumps aren't under the AC. They're just where the cold water runs or sits. Most of them are about the size of the head of a pin. Are they now permanent?

I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen this before or what could be done to prevent it because in all the many posts and how-to bits across various sites that tell how to use a window AC on a boat, I've never seen anyone mention this phenomenon. And now I don't know if I want to try this myself or just let the boat be hot and muggy.

MikeZ
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 18:13   #5

Boat: Island Packet 27, BLISS
Wow, I would like to know more about this, too, because I have an IP27 and someone offered me the use of a small window AC while I'm here at the dock in Florida. But I don't want to damage my boat.

Is this bump or blister thing common? I've never heard of it before either, and I see quite a few window air conditioners on all kinds of boats. Is there any way to tell if it's likely to happen? Or any way to prevent it and still use the AC?

Thanks.

Rebecca
Gracias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 18:28   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Is there anyway you can drain the water overboard using a piece of tubing or hose instead of just dumping it on deck?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 18:37   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I hope this isn't considered thread drift (which it probably is), but last year when I pressure washed the bottom of my boat I saw blisters forming. At that time, I had a rain leak and consistently had some fresh water in the bilge.

I fixed the rain leak and now my bilge is dry. Guess what? The blisters on the bottom are GONE !
Is this the "quick and dirty fix" for blisters?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 18:51   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I forgot to mention that out in BC where it rains so much, blisters are quite common under things like carpeting that is laid on the deck and allowed to stay there for extended periods of time.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 23:30   #9

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Herpes.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 23:48   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Jellcoat is not water proof. If the deck is constantly wet, water will get into the glass and form blisters. Once they are there it's permanent.