Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 23:53   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Aftermarket Volvo anodes

I see in the Chandlery shops all sorts of aftermarket anodes. Does anyone make after market anodes to fit Volvo saildrive and props?

If I made a mould can the zinc be melted down the same way as lead (ie is the temp to melt it the same as lead and is it as easy to work with).??
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 00:20   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
I get mine at boatzincs.com - way cheaper than Volvo.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 00:44   #3
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Don't try to make your own anodes. They are much more than just zinc. I'm not sure what shape anodes the volvo saildrive has but if they're just rods then any marine engineering firm can spin some up or you can buy the right size rod and cut a thread yourself. I will leave a rant about volvo parts etc until I have some caffeine in my system. Have recently halved the cost of engine services on a tamd31 by purchaseing oil & filters that don't have "volvo" written on them (but made by the same people who make em for volvo)
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have been making my own Anodes. It is very easy to do. Just go to any of the slipways that hull and repair boats and look around for old Zincs ont he ground. Take them home and melt them down. If you want some Darryl, I have a slab of the stuff. Or even better, if you can tell me what you want, I make some anodes up for you. Zinc has a very low melting point. A little hotter than lead, but lower than Ally.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:26   #5

thanks. I am chewing through the three 1/3rd round ones that go around the 3bladed volvo prop. I would need to get a mould cast first. The main anode that goes on the end of the saildrive between the prop and saildrive is lasting a bit longer and would be quite tricky to cast so I would not worry about that.

Where do you get the filters from Pete? You can PM me if you would rather not post it.

Cheers
Old 05-03-2007, 12:07   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I'm getting them from Transdiesel who stock Donaldson which are actually made in the Sakura factory so either brand will do. Donaldson make filters for Cat & Volvo amongst others. Any of the larger engine service outlets should be able to help. Just give them the volvo part number and they can cross reference.
If using old zinc from boatyards make sure the zinc has actually "worked" and is not a dud brew. Pure zinc is a no no.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
thanks. I am chewing through the three 1/3rd round ones that go around the 3bladed volvo prop.
How often are you having to replace the prop zincs?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 22:55   #8

The large zinc between the prop and the saildrive lasts a year. The three small zincs that each have an allen screw and for a circle around the Volvo prop itself only last 4 to 5 months. At 6 months they are paper thin.
I have a big old alloy liveaboard next to me who never does his anodes. I reckon he steals mine!
Old 07-03-2007, 20:10   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The large zinc between the prop and the saildrive lasts a year. The three small zincs that each have an allen screw and for a circle around the Volvo prop itself only last 4 to 5 months. At 6 months they are paper thin.
I have a big old alloy liveaboard next to me who never does his anodes. I reckon he steals mine!
Your zinc usage is normal, IMHO. While it would be nice if the prop zincs lasted a little longer, I find that I replace these zincs on about the frequency you seem to. I bought several sets of both Volvo prop and saildrive zincs yesterday. I have never seen the prop zincs as an aftermarket product and so have to pay more for OEM. But I can get the saildrive 1-piece ring zinc from chandleries here (manufactured under the "Reliance" brand by Metal Distributors Ltd. of B.C., Canada) for less than $10.00 US wholesale. Even paying retail I wouldn't think that casting your own would be worthwhile.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:56   #10

Thanks fst bttms.
Do you find that the Vovlvo saildrive zincs last twice as long as the prop zincs? Mine certainly do. My old prop on the old yanmar motor did not have the zincs like the Volvo does, It just had the saildrive anodes. The prop was over 10 years old and no electrolysis.
I cant believe how quickly the prop anodes get chewed up on the new Volvo prop.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:08   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Do you find that the Vovlvo saildrive zincs last twice as long as the prop zincs?
Yes. At least twice as long.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Where do the Anodes sit exactly Darryl??? I don't quite understand why the saildrive anode is not taking care of the prop. But then, it's probably the cheaper anode to buy and replace. However, the prop anode could well be disapating due to errosion, not electrical activity.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:01   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Where do the Anodes sit exactly Darryl???
In this pic you can see the prop anode (silver ring around hub of prop) and the saildrive anode just forward of the prop.

Old 09-03-2007, 00:54   #14

yep, just exactly the same as the picture. The silver ring on the hub closest to the blades. The ring is actually three third round anodes that allen screw on to the hub. Three anodes together form a circle around the hub. The hub is rebated so the anodes sit flush with it. Certainly looks eaten away like electrolysis not erosion.
The larger saildrive anode (that is all the yanmar had) lasts heaps longer.
Old 09-03-2007, 00:56   #15

Thats my prop too. Big flash folding three bladed thing. Looks real good and really bites the water when you put the boat in gear.

Tags
volvo