Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 18:50   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Affordable DIY yards between Portland Or and Mexico

Napa Valley Marina is probably the best haul out work yard cost wise.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 13:38   #17

Boat: CT-41

Thank you all for your informative posts.

To clarify my position. I do ALL my own work and have tools on the boat. Been doing woodwork for over 35 years, ran solar electric business, built fiberglass electric race cars, diesel mechanic, etc. HAVE TO do it all myself because I simply can NOT afford to hire someone else to do it. Have also worked in Mexico and speak enough Spanish to get along. Love Mexico. I know about La Paz and a few other places down south, but not near what Z and a couple other of you know.

Condition of the masts; Keel stepped - the bottoms are totally visible, varnished so I can see the wood. they show NO sign of rot or delamination down there. Rot in Mizzen is at top of the gooseneck and runs up along the sail track. From what I can see so far, sides and forward are OK, but will not know until going aloft - better yet, pulling them. Will NOT put a sail on it until it is repaired. Main mast have not found any rot yet, but have not gone aloft yet.

I fully intend to pull both of them, strip down to bare wood, and fix everything, but that is a job that will put me past October if I do it in Astoria or Ilwaco. Also have to finish up on other things before starting.... that is why I am asking you folks for opinions and information so I know my options.

Of course, finishing the job here before setting out anywhere is the best if I can pull it off, but have no work here and Oregon coast is not too good a place to keep working during the winter.

I know Sacramento Delta area. That is one option. Don't know much about Newport, Coos Bay, or Brookings - been to all of them, and know there are ports, but don't know about facilities. Those places are still in Oregon coast, but past the Columbia River Bar and possibly a little better chance to still get further south before bad weather. Fished out of Bodega Bay and Moss Landing, but it has been years ago. Don't know anything between Monterrey and San Diego.

I don't mind being VERY selective about weather and hopping port to port, on motor if I have to. Will have a rigger go aloft for a report soon before making decisions. Would be nice if I can hang a main and jib even if they have to come down when the wind picks up and I motor. Will only consider that if a professional rigger says it is capable... even then will be cautious until I have them out and totally re-done.

Check out my blog on the refit below. It is not up to date, but you can get the idea.

Very much appreciate your suggestions.
Steve
SV Mystique
Sailing Mystique
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 13:59   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Just checked out your blog - nice boat, quite a project. You are clearly doing good work - keep it up. Where are you located? I can't place it - no levee on the shore. Down Multnomah Channel?

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 17:46   #19

Greg,
Hayden Island, just down from the I-5 bridge. Are you in this area? If so, come on by.

Steve
Old 23-07-2013, 19:03   #20

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Just upriver from you - McCuddys near the Island Cafe.

I'll either get motivated to kayak down, or put the outboard back together.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 19:26   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ya might ck with Eureka Cailfornia, they used to let ya diy! and they sure have everything ya need to do the work, lift and cranes ect! just a thought
Old 23-07-2013, 23:26   #22

bobconnie,
Thanks. Eureka is almost warmer, and probably can continue south later in the year than from Astoria. Worth checking out.

Greg,
Paddle on over. I am the only cruising boat in the Island Cove Floating Home Marina. On the inside, right where the gangway descends next to the beach where the kayak people teach paddle board and kayak.

I occasionally come to Island Cafe with my Australian Shepard for an afternoon beer. More often Hidden Bay.

Hey Z, you said you are in Barra Navidad. Go check out my friend Bob Hansen. He is a sailor who has a photo studio/gallery in Barra. We have been talking about doing an exhibition of my art when I get down there. His webiste is: Robert Hansen | Fotografo | Portfolio | Main

Steve VR & Aleutia (the dog)
SV Mystique
Sailing Mystique
Old 16-09-2014, 17:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Napa Valley Marina is probably the best haul out work yard cost wise.
I received this list of fees from Napa a few days ago.

"Haul out 301.00
Power wash 2.50 per ft.
Lay days 20.00 per day.
No wet sanding
Must use dustless sander we approve
Corkage fee of 4.00 per ft. if you don't buy your bottom paint from us.
30.00 to move stands

Regards,

Kirby Long
napa Valley Marina707-252-8011"

I'd already purchased my paint from Go2marine a week prior to receiving this message from Napa, so didn't have the opportunity to choose between buying from the yard or someplace else. Offered my receipt as proof of this. I also asked if $30 was charged to customers for repositioning stands to allow painting where the pads are located?

The reply:

"Hello ---,

Sorry you purchased your paint prior to contacting us. You might try Berkeley Marina Center. They allow
do it yourselvers.

Best wishes,

Kirby Long
Napa Valley Marina"

No additional information regarding the $30 for 'moving the stands' was provided.

It's one thing to offer people an opportunity to purchase materials from a yard, quite another to present ultimatums. The only thing missing is a revolver pointed at your temple...

One consistent feature in replies I've received from boat yards in the S.F. Bay area is you are not permitted to do anything necessary to prepare the boat's bottom. Whether sanding is or is not necessary, it's always included and a vacuum sander (rented or otherwise) is required.

Bottom line, unless someone can prove to me otherwise my impression is DIY boatyards in this area no longer exist.

By the way, Berkely Marina boat yard is scheduling now for November...

Will probably end up having the bottom paint applied in Baja Naval, Ensenada.

$550.00 + 10% fee on the value of my paint (compared to $4/foot at Napa) = $37.50. Haul out & launch, power wash, set up, application materials, labour for cleaning, preparation and painting included. Two coats and a third on leading edges.

There are many boat owners in the Bay area flush with cash, unfazed by how expensive haul-outs have become. Not good for the rest of us and especially people accustomed to doing the job themselves. It can only get worse.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 17:48   #24

Boat: Seafarer36c

Wow, things change. I'd heard Kirby has turned into a jerk and it sounds like it. I have to admit I did not tell them about my bottom paint, I just put it on. As onerous as they may sound there is nothing cheaper?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 20:45   #25

Ilwaco, Washington;

Been here going on 5 months, rebuilt both masts, repainted whole boat, replaced through-hulls, rebuilt mizzen step, rebuilt two rotted out beams, changed prop and zinks, and too many small tasks to list. Got over $2,000 in parts from old fishermen for a couple hundred, been living on the boat with dog, electric and all fees included for $350/mo for 41 foot boat, $250 RT haul out, $50 to for boom truck to pull masts, and DIY for ANYTHING as long as you tarp the ground and use vacuum for sanding.

Most boats coming are old timer fishermen who know more about the sea than most sailors ever will and spend more time on the ocean in one season than the average sailor does in their entire life.

Great place to work on a boat!
Old 16-09-2014, 21:46   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

A vote for berkeley marine center. You can use your own paint there. Think they have their own crane there too. Got out of there in 2009 for about $600 including 10 lay days at $25 a day. Not counting the paint which I already had.. It's slightly warmer then napa or the delta in the winter and closer to Svendsen's, groceries, etc. Cree and the folks there are pretty nice.

Napa marina is a good DIY yard, but a bit in the sticks if your without a car.

BTW Berkeley Marine center still lets you do your own work. You do need a dustless sander which they rent at a fair price.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 06:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
A vote for berkeley marine center. You can use your own paint there. Think they have their own crane there too. Got out of there in 2009 for about $600 including 10 lay days at $25 a day. Not counting the paint which I already had.. It's slightly warmer then napa or the delta in the winter and closer to Svendsen's, groceries, etc. Cree and the folks there are pretty nice.

Napa marina is a good DIY yard, but a bit in the sticks if your without a car.

BTW Berkeley Marine center still lets you do your own work. You do need a dustless sander which they rent at a fair price.
"First, sorry we cannot haul you out at the end of the month, we are scheduling for the last week in November.

Second, BMC does not allow for customers to " wash with stiff brush".

Anything that has to do with bottom paint has to be done with the Vacuum
sander that we rent out here at the yard.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Shannon
Berkeley Marine Center

A good reply to my inquiry, and if I could get in sooner probably would have used Berkeley Marine. They have a website that unequivocably lays out the fees. Yard Rates | Berkeley Marine Center

Back in the days even after environmental controls were imposed on the yards, drainage of debris generated from cleaning bottoms was directed into settling tanks as a means of separating debris from water. This permitted a truly DIY environment, where the removal of algae and scum prior to painting was possible. While a pressure wash normally reduces time and effort necessary to prepare a boat's bottom for cleaning, they're not as thorough as possible. If the yards allowed an owner time to scrape and clean with a stiff brush and water - when that's all is required - before moving the boat away from the area this would be a big plus. Shucks, I'd even be willing to pay more for a thorough pressure wash employing some of their workers to do the scrape and clean. Saves me from paying an additional lay day or two if after my boat is set up on stands she's ready to paint.

The kind of bottom job required - for racing or cruising, ablative or other typically harder paints that demand a baby butt smooth surface - will determine whether sanding is necessary or not. I've never in 22+ years and ten or so haul outs have ever needed to sand my boat's bottom. So, now I have to?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 07:48   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

vino--do what ye can in water and head down when these bitches we call canes depart from pacific ocean somewhere around mid 9088.....

seems that long, but every summer is riddled with storms here. most just skim us.
get here soon, like this fall, if ye can. is nice here. so far we not in a disaster zone.. yet.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 09:23   #29

Zee, you know I will get to your party! Good thing is ain't started yet.

Will post a pic of new, finished ratlines as soon as I can find my camera. That should earn me ridicule from the Thursday night tupperware racers.
Old 17-09-2014, 10:47   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hee hee hee these boats THRIVE on ridicule.
awesome!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, portland