Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 12:25   #16

Re: Advice on Putting a Water Tank in Empty Engine Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Zengirl, think twice about replacing a working inboard on a 30' boat. You are at the upper end of where an outboard is practical, although this may depend on how you intend to use your boat. Would you mind telling us your cruising plans?
You will devalue your boat, you will be "thrusting in air" in a chop with the outboard. Sure for local use or on a lake... maybe fine. I even hated it on a lake where there was often a 2-3 ft chop.
Most boats I've seen for sale where this was done were on their last leg, poorly maintained as the owner couldn't afford the boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:49   #17

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Zengirl, think twice about replacing a working inboard on a 30' boat. You are at the upper end of where an outboard is practical, although this may depend on how you intend to use your boat. Would you mind telling us your cruising plans?
Need to work on boat for a year or two. Will probably be based on Merritt Island while that is being done. Then I believe the farthest my adventure will take me is Costa Rica. The BVI for sure and most of the islands. If I have the money, maybe France. Let me know your thoughts. Mucho thanks
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:51   #18

Boat: C&C Newport 41

What is inclining you to pull the motor? What are you hoping to gain?

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
What is inclining you to pull the motor? What are you hoping to gain?

-steve
Y'all have to realize I don't know jack. The idea of more fresh water is very appealing, so when I answer these forums, it's just me swashing things around in my head for future reference. If I get a good answer then I know what to do and NOT do. Like pulling the engine.
Old 02-10-2014, 13:41   #20

Boat: csy 37

Given your plans, I would NOT replace the inboard with an outboard. Knowing where you are (I used to keep my boat in Titusville) you would only be happy with the outboard in the ICW. If you're really planning on going that far, then i have to ask if you have a gasoline or diesel inboard engine. If gasoline, consider replacing it with a diesel.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:57   #21

Quote:
Given your plans, I would NOT replace the inboard with an outboard. Knowing where you are (I used to keep my boat in Titusville) you would only be happy with the outboard in the ICW. If you're really planning on going that far, then i have to ask if you have a gasoline or diesel inboard engine. If gasoline, consider replacing it with a diesel.
... and if you are on the ICW on the weekend or holiday... you'll be glad for your inboard while you are in the "washing machine".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:58   #22

Quote:
Thanks for input, from the posts here I decided it was not such a good idea. There is nothing wrong with the gas 4 atomic, but when I'm ready to go any distance I will replace with a diesel. The gentelman who did my survey in Ct. made that suggestion also. So I will take that suggestion to heart
Old 02-10-2014, 14:52   #23

Boat: C&C Newport 41

IF (see how that is in caps) you come to the point where you are going to pull the gasoline 4 atomic...

1. gasoline is highly combustible (diesel is more stable)
2. gasoline breaks down a lot faster than diesel
3. diesel engines (generally) has more efficient consumption rates
4. diesel engines (generally) produces more torque

You might find a middle ground and install a motor with a smaller footprint.

My current refit included removing the monster perkins 4-108 which was in the middle of the galley which made the cabin VERY loud and hot and it weighed 500lbs and the prop came off 20 degrees port of center which made baking up all kinds of weird. This was not an rash decision but, in the end, I pulled the 50hp motor and installed a 29 ho turbo saildrive in transom.

I added another 40 gallons of water (to the 35 gallons in the bilge tank) and made it possible to move the tiny /shallow sink to to other side of the galley and install a deep double sink with under sink storage (and under counter enclosed trash where the original sink used to be).

Tankage was a problem for me as she had a 5 gallon holding tank, 20 gallons of water and 15 gallons of diesel. Another hard decision was to rip of the teak sole and fill the bilge (W36"*L90**H16*) with a 35 gallon water and 35 gallon fuel tank. For $800 in 3 custom tanks & fittings and 1000 in 1/2" teak and 1/2" white maple (holly isnt available in 8' lengths) and a few busted knuckles and some sweat and tears and I have the tankage I need without compromising on the aesthetics I want.

NOTE: I could have taken more time and worked to salvage the original sole or spent a lot less on it's replacement if I opted for mahogany etc.

Since I was rewiring the power plant, moving the motor dramatically simplified my power plant and charging system(s).

Short version... there are always 3 solutions to every problem. Keep reading and asking questions and you will soon know which one if the right solution for you.

While water is important, it comes in 1 and 5 gallon jugs and does not require pulling a motor so you can carry more than your current tankage permits.

NOTE: I know I am insane and am not encouraging anyone to go as far overboard as I am with this refit. :P

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 15:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
IF (see how that is in caps) you come to the point where you are going to pull the gasoline 4 atomic...

1. gasoline is highly combustible (diesel is more stable)
2. gasoline breaks down a lot faster than diesel
3. diesel engines (generally) has more efficient consumption rates
4. diesel engines (generally) produces more torque

You might find a middle ground and install a motor with a smaller footprint.

My current refit included removing the monster perkins 4-108 which was in the middle of the galley which made the cabin VERY loud and hot and it weighed 500lbs and the prop came off 20 degrees port of center which made baking up all kinds of weird. This was not an rash decision but, in the end, I pulled the 50hp motor and installed a 29 ho turbo saildrive in transom.

I added another 40 gallons of water (to the 35 gallons in the bilge tank) and made it possible to move the tiny /shallow sink to to other side of the galley and install a deep double sink with under sink storage (and under counter enclosed trash where the original sink used to be).

Tankage was a problem for me as she had a 5 gallon holding tank, 20 gallons of water and 15 gallons of diesel. Another hard decision was to rip of the teak sole and fill the bilge (W36"*L90**H16*) with a 35 gallon water and 35 gallon fuel tank. For $800 in 3 custom tanks & fittings and 1000 in 1/2" teak and 1/2" white maple (holly isnt available in 8' lengths) and a few busted knuckles and some sweat and tears and I have the tankage I need without compromising on the aesthetics I want.

NOTE: I could have taken more time and worked to salvage the original sole or spent a lot less on it's replacement if I opted for mahogany etc.

Since I was rewiring the power plant, moving the motor dramatically simplified my power plant and charging system(s).

Short version... there are always 3 solutions to every problem. Keep reading and asking questions and you will soon know which one if the right solution for you.

While water is important, it comes in 1 and 5 gallon jugs and does not require pulling a motor so you can carry more than your current tankage permits.

NOTE: I know I am insane and am not encouraging anyone to go as far overboard as I am with this refit. :P

-steve
Oh, man you are funny! I love when you said there are 3 solutions to every problem and I will live by that rule. I like it and thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 21:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
May I ask what outboard you put on? And thanks for the post, I've been thinking of this.
I'm using the high thrust, extra long shaft 4 stroke yamaha 9.9. before that I had a long shaft two stroke force 9.9. I spent a lot of nights on the hook unintentionally with that 20 year old two stroke. But my yamaha is a DREAM. If that motor could cook I'd move to a state that would let me marry it.
captain-cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 21:17   #26

Quote:
When sizing your tank, remember it might ultimately fit in the space, but can you get it in there? Make a cardboard mockup if that would help.
That's why I said "barrel" A lot of people are suggesting a custom water tank, which would be awesome, except that it has to go down to the space through an 11'' hatch. so what I'm going to do is cut a plastic barrel in half along it's long axis, take it down in two pieces, and then reassemble it with clasps down in the bilge and put a bladder inside it. The clasps are important instead of just glassing it back together because 1) I don't want to drink water from my shade tree glass work, and B) it would be really handy to be able to unclasp the two shells again and take them off the tank mountings to get under the tank to service the bilge pump.
captain-cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33   #27

Boat: csy 37

Wow! Do you actually have to do all this work through an 11" opening? I 'm not a big fan of bladders but in your situation it sounds like the best solution. I once considered just lining a space with indoor/outdoor carpeting and putting the bladder on top of that then another carpet over it, for puncture protection.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:08   #28

I'm the new owner of a Cal 3-30 that is getting a new 9.9hp nissan outboard put on soon. I've had concerns about the boat size for an outboard, especially with the rudder so far back. The BMW d12 does not seem serviceable, and my travels are limited to the Puget sound region for the near future, so the plan makes sense. Putting a water tank there is a bonus. Any thoughts on outboards with rear mounted spade rudder?
aikenazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:34   #29

Boat: Catalina 30

My C27 had an outboard well and of course a spade rudder. It worked well, just had to adjust the trim tab on the motor mount to avoid touching the rudder under power.

One issue was with reverse as my motor was centered. The wife was manning the helm and I was forward setting the anchor, she put it in reverse but was siting a bit aft so had a grip on the tiller more towards the stock. The thrust pushed the rudder hard to starboard an the tiller pinned her against the port gunnel. Scare the stuffing out of her but luckily no injuries.

When we purchased out C30 it had a 9.9 hung on it. It was off center and the boat handled poorly at best. Heavy to raise and lower, just a bad idea IMO. As mentioned earlier it was a sign saying " this boat is neglected". A year later we are about to drop in our Abomb and get her moving again.

Gary

Tags
engine, water