Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 15:52   #1

Boat: Beneteau 50
Advice Needed, Installing Fourwinds II

I am the proud owner of a used Fourwinds II wind generator. Now how do I mount it on our Beneteau 50? I'm thinking about using the typical 3-legged method, where 1 leg is vertical, the 2nd goes foreward, and the 3rd goes across the stern. Where do I get the brackets for the deck (2 of them) and for the transom (1 large one)? And where can I get the stainless poles that go into the brackets? (And the fittings that tie the legs together. And backing plates for the deck brackets.)

Am I missing something here? Or will this be reasonably easy. Any other advice welcome.

Regards
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 09:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Any marine welding/fabrication shop, who builds tuna towers, custome biminis and etc should have everything you need.

ie:

Atlantic Towers

235 Hickory Lane
Bayville, NJ 08721
Mailing Address
Atlantic Towers
P.O. Box D
Bayville, New Jersey 08721

Toll-Free Phone:
800-831-8889
Phone
: 732-237-8800
Fax: 732-237-8811
Toll-Free Fax - 888-831-8889
E-mail: sgolden@atlantictowers.com

See also:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ons-21317.html
and
Fourwinds II Wind Generator - Fourwinds Enterprises
and
http://www.fourwinds-ii.com/v2/libra...ingoptions.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 09:58   #3

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
I bought a used fourwinds 2 for my previous boat, and the pole mounting was very simple to do. I followed the very clear instructions to the letter and never had a problem with the mounting in five years. As I recall I bought all pipe and fiittings from a large local hardware store that specialized in industrial surplus.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 10:06   #4

These folks will have exaclty what you are looking for.

Garhauer Marine Hardware -8420238
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 09:57   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
I am the proud owner of a used Fourwinds II wind generator. Now how do I mount it on our Beneteau 50? ...
Do you have or have you ever wanted to install an arch in the back of your boat?... It seems by the time you are done with this installation, you'll add enough tubing and such around your cockpit that you may - for slightly more $$ - be able to have an arch that can contain the wind generator, bimini, radar and - some styles - dinghy davits even... Just a thought; since you will end up spending money on a mount anyway.

Isn't it fun to spend others' $$$?.. Let me tell you what "you" need....

Sailndive345
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 12:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
Do you have or have you ever wanted to install an arch in the back of your boat?... It seems by the time you are done with this installation, you'll add enough tubing and such around your cockpit that you may - for slightly more $$ - be able to have an arch that can contain the wind generator, bimini, radar and - some styles - dinghy davits even... Just a thought; since you will end up spending money on a mount anyway.

Isn't it fun to spend others' $$$?.. Let me tell you what "you" need....

Sailndive345
SailnDive,

We do have dinghy davits. Not sure about all the weight, with a dinghy and all. Here's a picture with my son's 8' sailing dinghy on them. What do you think, considering an 11' inflatable with engine?

Regards
Old 16-02-2009, 13:23   #7

When I was doing research on my boat following the purchase, I discovered that a radar arch was an option. The B461 and B50 are very similar in dimensions, it may be worth finding out what it looked like. These are typically pretty beefy (like the sportfishing tuna towers) and should work well if they came with a davit attachment as far as handling the weight is concerned.

Even if you don't purchase through Beneteau, if you know what the general design looks like, you can have a marine welder (the sportfishing folks again) can manufacture one for you to your liking. You don't necessarily have to have the davits integrated, you can continue to use your existing set up; arch can accommodate that. I would move the bimini to be a part of the arch, though - not only does it look better but has a lot less clutter.

It seems we have the same (Marshall design, I believe) davits: I cannot deploy my swim ladder when the inflatable (a 10.8') is hanging on the davits - I think this is a safety concern in case of MOB situation. One of my upcoming projects is to convert the (existing) ladder into a folding one so that it clears the dinghy when swinging down and into the water. Should be a simple project (famous last words )

Cheers!

Sailndive
Old 16-02-2009, 13:30   #8

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
One thing to keep in mind, is the fourwinds has a propellor wingspan, or at least it did on mine, of about 60" and the blade speed could hit some insane mph's. You don't want to have that unit spinning anywhere near where people would routinely be climbing.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 14:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
...It seems we have the same (Marshall design, I believe) davits: I cannot deploy my swim ladder when the inflatable (a 10.8') is hanging on the davits - I think this is a safety concern in case of MOB situation. One of my upcoming projects is to convert the (existing) ladder into a folding one so that it clears the dinghy when swinging down and into the water. Should be a simple project (famous last words )

Cheers!

Sailndive
Yes, I tell the crew that if there's a MOB to just cut away the dink. (We can always get it later.) I like your idea better. Please let me know how it goes.
Old 16-02-2009, 14:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAREUA View Post
One thing to keep in mind, is the fourwinds has a propellor wingspan, or at least it did on mine, of about 60" and the blade speed could hit some insane mph's. You don't want to have that unit spinning anywhere near where people would routinely be climbing.
Very true. It's needs to be up high. I think the manual might have something about that. IIRC they wanted the shortest adult to be able to reach the blades (for tying off). And it needs to be a certain amount higher than the tallest person. I'll probably err on the side of it being higher. High speed spinning things scare me. (At least there's no strobe around to camoflage the spinning motion.)
Old 16-02-2009, 15:37   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Very true. It's needs to be up high. I think the manual might have something about that. IIRC they wanted the shortest adult to be able to reach the blades (for tying off). And it needs to be a certain amount higher than the tallest person. I'll probably err on the side of it being higher. High speed spinning things scare me. (At least there's no strobe around to camoflage the spinning motion.)
...and, be careful with fishing rods, boat hooks, MOB poles anywhere near it My windbugger chewed up the tip of an expensive trolling rod with a very impressive fish on... the fish kept getting larger and larger over the years...

Sailndive
Old 08-02-2011, 13:36   #12

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
I am the proud owner of a used Fourwinds II wind generator. Now how do I mount it on our Beneteau 50? I'm thinking about using the typical 3-legged method, where 1 leg is vertical, the 2nd goes foreward, and the 3rd goes across the stern. Where do I get the brackets for the deck (2 of them) and for the transom (1 large one)? And where can I get the stainless poles that go into the brackets? (And the fittings that tie the legs together. And backing plates for the deck brackets.)

Am I missing something here? Or will this be reasonably easy. Any other advice welcome.

Regards
Did you end up getting this all straightened away?
I'm interested in the Fourwinds II wind generator and would like your take on it's output when the wind is not that strong.

Warm Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 10:18   #13

Boat: CS 40
Re: Advice Needed, Installing Fourwinds II

Has any one got in contact with fourwinds to get parts lately I am unable to get in contact with them

Wish I had read this post before i damaged my blades with my MOB pole
Colin
COLINFLTENG is offline   Reply With Quote