Originally Posted by landonshaw
I might be reading the sites incorrectly, but it looks like the Harken system uses 2 - G273B Lead cars at $352.00 ea, 2 end controls E2750 at $237.35 a pair.
The Gurhauer E-Z 2UB is $350.00 for port and stud set ups.
$589.35 vs $350.00 Is harken worth the $239 more? or is the $350 Gurbauer a good system that will last years and worth the $350?
Honestly both. There are good reasons why I would pay more for the harken, the wide jib
lead for instance means you can run two sheets
through it temporarily while doing a head
sail change. While the lower profile increases the adjustable range on the sail luff. I am also not a huge fan on the shoulders of the jib
lead block whichever should be flared open to handle a wider trim angle without inducing wear on the sheet.
On the other hand these things are really only critical on a race
boat. Cruisers almost never do head
sail changes, so the width isn't important. Cruisers don't use deck
sweeping jibs so the extra height required isn't a problem, and the shoulders only matter a lot if you are using barberhauls to change the lead position.
The one major difference for everyone is that Harken uses captive recycling ball bearings, so you can easily remove the car from the track and reduce friction. Where the Gurhauers are non-captive. This means to remove them from the track you have to use a short piece of track to load it onto or the bearings will go flying (as I recall
they ship them with extra balls for exactly this reason).
Horses for courses. I prefer the Harken, but it isn't like the Gurhauer's are bad. That little bit of extra cost upfront comes with real differences in the product. Gurhauer made a very reasonable decision that most people are fine with a product that is 60% the cost but only does 90% of the job. For a lot of people this works great. But if you care about the remaining 10% then Harken it is.