Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 16:48   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Adhering Cetol surface to fiberglass? Or sand it away?

I've taken the bulk of my teak off the boat to be finished with Cetol. I just got done with the final coat today and am now thinking about getting things rebedded.

Since the wood was removed I went ahead and coated the mounting surfaces that will be in contact with the boat with Cetol as well. I'm wondering if I should sand the bedding surface back to bare wood for a better bond, or leave the wood fully encapsulated in the Cetol.

Specifically, I have decorative teak eyebrows that were screwed in, and I see no need to have holes in the cabinsides for a non-loadbearing decorative piece of trim. I'm wanting to fill the holes and then simply glue the eyebrows on with Sikaflex, 4200, or some other adhesive (already have sikaflex 291 so will likely use that). Will I be better off simply bonding the Cetol marine glossed surface to the fiberglass, or should I sand it back to bare wood where it will be bedded?

Also debating this question in regards to my handrail bases (They will be screwed/throughbolted so the adhesion isnt as critical, but I'm still wondering if the Cetol may degrade after time and cause them to have to be rebedded sooner than they would otherwise.).
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 00:50   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Adhering Cetol surface to fiberglass? Or sand it away?

redpointist,

I'm not an expert, so should Mainesail or Minaret chime in and say different, believe them over me. What I can say, is that we always bedded bare teak, not varnished (or Cetoled). I am told that teak is oily wood, reluctant to accept taming, and full of silica, as well, so you need strong sealant/blue to bond it. The eyebrow may require to be screwed in while the glue sets up, then you can fill the holes and Cetol the piece.

The Sika 291 may do it for quite a while. For permanence, I'd use 5200, but don't expect to get it off again!

Just my two cents. There are more members here who know more about sealants and glues than me, but this will bump your question, at the very least.

Ann
Old 01-10-2014, 05:53   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
... I'm wanting to fill the holes and then simply glue the eyebrows on with Sikaflex, 4200, or some other adhesive (already have sikaflex 291 so will likely use that). Will I be better off simply bonding the Cetol marine glossed surface to the fiberglass, or should I sand it back to bare wood where it will be bedded?
I agree with the unnecessary holes. However, without screwing the eyebrows to the cabin, it will not conform to the curve and stay there - bare wood or not. Even if you brace it until the caulking cures, with the boat's movement it will come off. If you don't want the holes for decoration, you'll be better off by filling them and doing without the eyebrow.

As for the handrail, I would suggest you to use Maine Sail's butyl tape since its bolted thru and you don't need adhesion strength.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Sand it bare, otherwise you are relying on the adhesion of cetol to wood. Weakest link in the chain.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 17:10   #5

Boat: Aloha 34

Thanks for the replies! The eyebrows originally had 15 screws each holding them on. I wouldn't care so much about the holes if the boat didnt have a molded liner inside...leaks through those screw holes seem like they could get behind the liner and show up in weird places, causing headaches later on.

I wasn't thinking about having to hold them in place while the adhesive cures, or deck flexing causing them to come unglued quickly. I think a good compromise might be to screw them in with 2 or 3 screws instead of 15. Looks like I'll sand the backside of them too. Might leave the handrails as is for now since theyll just be bedded with butyl.

I think I have an action plan now, thanks again for the advice!
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 17:18   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Red, some years ago I owned a Yankee 30 that had a teak eyebrow trim piece. It was the hardest bit of timber on the boat to maintain properly. I hated it!

A neighbor who had a similar boat simply took his off, filled the holes and painted on a stripe of the exact dimensions of the eyebrow, using the colour of his boot stripe. I thought it looked pretty good, and he got to sail a few extra hours a year. I never got around to doing this act of desecration, but had I not sold the boat I was sure gonna!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
fiberglass