Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 06:11   #1

Adding/Replacing Furring strips

I pulled down the headliner since it was water stained and removed the odd assortment of screwed on furring strips. My wife hasn't been in the boat since and she's going to be a little unhappy with the "new look". She understands I had to remove the wet furring strips and all that. Anyway my question is is it overkill to epoxy the new strips in place? They were made from thin plywood.
I believe if I get all new furring strips in place the headliner job will be a lot easier. Plus being a little OCD I would like them to be a little neater. I guess any suggestions are welcome. I've looked at the Sailrite video but the furring strips are already up. Some areas did not have furring strips. Obviously screwing strips into the hull sides would not be smart but some of the adjoining overhangs were treated the same. No idea's are too small. Also some of the headliner was sandwiched between the inside and outside handrails. If I ever need to remove the headliner it would be nice not to disturb the handrails.
iCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:33   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Adding/Replacing Furring strips

Captain,
Attaching the strips with epoxy is the best way to attach to the ceiling/hull. And, if the hull/ceiling is cored, you can use appropriately sized set screws dipped in thickened epoxy for additional security/bonding as you would when tabbing bulkheads for a permanent, secure attachment. If your hull is solid glass, use epoxy thickened with high-density filler and taped in place with gorilla tape until the epoxy kicks. Your concerns are not OCD but rather attention to detail many boaters miss. Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 26-02-2017, 17:26   #3

It is cored and I will add screws dipped in epoxy. Thanks for the advice.
Old 26-02-2017, 18:36   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Just use a hot glue gun to hold them in place while the epoxy sets. Epoxy or varnish the plywood first so water doesn't get to it again.

Matt
Old 27-02-2017, 03:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, iCaptain.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 04:10   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Finish them prior to installing them in the boat if at all possible. IE; epoxy coat, & then varnish. And if the strips actually hold your headliner in place, then you'll want them to be removable. Meaning attached with removable fasteners, so that you can pull the headliner when needed in order to run wires, or add deck hardware with the nuts for same hidden underneath of the headliner.

Also, you might consider using some pretty wood for them anywhere that the strips will be visible. Such as red cedar, or something with nice contrasting grain (color) patterns. It definitely adds a touch of class to the boat. And you might ask the Mrs. for her input on colors & patterns on this. Both for her taste input, & so that she's a part of making the boat feel more like a weekend cottage, than a guy's hunting cabin.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 22:51   #7

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I wouldn't use plywood strips... Sapele and Khaya are both pretty, bend well, reasonably priced, and rot resistant. No need to finish with epoxy, just a good clear oil rub.
Old 28-02-2017, 17:14   #8

On the Sailrite video the headliner is held up in some areas by velcro. The edges I think have a lip. I do want it removable. I like the idea of better wood and a protective finish. Some of the areas that are near impossible to use screws I could just epoxy furring or even the trim pieces, which I have not even considered. I guess on a production boat, 1976 Cal 2-27, it was easiest to screw into the core and the same philosophy was used when replaced later. If there was no core then the headliner material was glued in place which has released.